So basically here it is. I'm worried that i'm not good enough to be a lead singer. Whenever i sing to some tracks on my ipod in my basement and i cant hit the choruses i begin to question my ability and get a little upset. I would like to believe i have a really good range (according to my old vocal teacher, i have 3 1/2 ocatves) but when i sing some songs and i cant hit the notes i think im just not all that good. me and my guitarist had a practice on tuesday and i felt like i was on fire! but when we had another practice yeaterday, i felt terrible. i tried to sing again today and i felt almost the same as yesterday. I'm really worried about my voice and dont know if i can sing high enough to be a lead singer. It seems like all the "rockin" songs have really high vocals. I'm sorry if i sound noobish but i dont want to feel like im mediocre compared to all the other singers out there.
3 1/2 octaves is fairly good, might not be bruce dickinson or dio, but thats about the range of a guitar, if you cant hit those high notes try to do like a lower more raspy tone like paul di'ano or lemmy, or find your comfortable range and try to do bend the song into your vocals
Where does it start? Assuming your a baritone, you should have no issue hitting any of those chorus notes. 3 1/2 octaves is a damn good range. Whats your highest note? Mines F#4, G on the best days, and I can hit any rock song I know of. The highest choruses are maybe borderline at the top of my range.

Post a song you can't sing cause of range?

My guess is you're not doing good enough breath support, or you have a mental block going. Don't push to get those notes, or reach for those notes. Don't think about whether notes or high or low, they;re just NOTES.

You simply sing the note. Not reach for it, or grabbing it, just sing it. Know the pitch, you are the pitch.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
FWIW, an academic point... falsetto is not included when measuring range.

So, if you are gifted enough to *really* have 3.5 octaves, you'd be far too famous to be asking any of us for advice.

As soon as someone starts claiming they have three octaves or more, I start to get skeptical.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris

So, if you are gifted enough to *really* have 3.5 octaves, you'd be far too famous to be asking any of us for advice.

Yeah, jesus. 3 and a half octaves is a pretty massive range. I'd want some proof on this.

Now TS, it doesn't even seem like you know what your range actually is. You should figure out where it starts and ends, and pick/write songs that are best for your voice. That way you won't have to worry about whether you can sing high enough for your song, you can pick ones within your range, or resort to falsetto for the higher notes. Of course knowing your range, you'll know exactly which notes you'll go to falsetto for.

And take up singing lessons again if you're really concerned.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
think it's prob 2 and a half, some people count it wrong
and that's prob with falsetto or you wouldn't be having problems

upload a clip man, we gotta hear where your range is giving you problems or we can't really help you out
I think about maybe an octave of that or a little less is falsetto so ya im not like a singing god. Examples of songs that always frustrate me are: Pretty Handsome Awkward and The Bird and the Worm by The Used, Pretty much every song by Airbourne, A few songs by Hinder (Better than me and Get stoned for example). This is probably just a minset of mine but for some odd reason on days like this i feel inferior to every other singer. Those songs frustrate me alot because I can almost reach all the noted in them but they're just a little out of my reach (with the exeption of Airbourne)
lol man I relate to that I've always had trouble singing along to Pretty Handsome Awkward and The Bird. I figured out the notes and the reason is he's hitting a lot of high C's and keeps his melodies around that area throughout the whole song. That's really ****ing high, most guys can't even hit that note and even for a high tenor like him it's hard to sing that high constantly. that guy from the used had vocal cord surgery a few years back so he's only been singing this high by screaming and shredding his voice to pieces.
after about 2 and a half years of singing I can only barely sing those two songs without hurting myself and I've got a pretty high voice, just sing stuff in your own vocal range instead of trying to imitate freaks of nature imo.
That Bird and the Worm song sounds alright an octave down by the way... I'm not sure about the others though.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
They guy from Airbourne killed his voice and needed surgery a bit ago too.

Your statement about your 3.5 octave range where "an octave of that is falsetto" sounds much more in line.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Well, the people you're talking about are generally tenors. Maybe you're a bass. In which case, just don't sing tenor songs. There are plenty of good bands out there who have bass singers. You may even be a high bass if you're saying you have such a range. In which case, you're fine. Don't lose confidence, just find songs that work for your range.