Page 1 of 2
Okay folks, I made the mistake of getting a Marshall MG100hdfx and I'm looking to get something a little bit more metal.

Im down for some Parkway Drive/In Flames/Shadows Fall. I know that Parkway were using 5150's before they got replaced and that Donais is using a Rivera Knuckle Tre'.

I'm looking to stay with Marshall because Marshall blows a load all over your face.. so can anyone gimme a direction to look at when I go to the shop to test some stuff out. I gotta drive 6 hours to do it, so I dont wanna be there forever haha.

Cheers.
No I dont really have a budget.

I thought they stopped making the 5150's when the 6505 came out?

I was looking at Line 6's new Valve II. Finally a Line 6 Tube.
Quote by j71
No I dont really have a budget.

I thought they stopped making the 5150's when the 6505 came out?

I was looking at Line 6's new Valve II. Finally a Line 6 Tube.

Line 6 has been making tube amps for years.

And on the topic of the thread, if your looking for metal amps marshalls aren't really that great. Unless you use a pedal you won't be able to get amazing high-gain tones.
Quote by JayLacelle
Line 6 has been making tube amps for years.

And on the topic of the thread, if your looking for metal amps marshalls aren't really that great. Unless you use a pedal you won't be able to get amazing high-gain tones.

People seem to rocking those JMC800's or something like that through the 1960A cabs and theyre getting some beast tones, but yeah I guess they might be using pedals or a pod or something.

(I meant for the digital modeling line of their amps. I THINK its the first one. I could very well be wrong.)
Quote by j71
People seem to rocking those JMC800's or something like that through the 1960A cabs and theyre getting some beast tones, but yeah I guess they might be using pedals or a pod or something.

(I meant for the digital modeling line of their amps. I THINK its the first one. I could very well be wrong.)

the jcm 800 and 900 is used frequently with metal players, but if you were to look at their entire rig it will probably consisit of a tubescreamer or similar overdrive pedal
Quote by j71

1. Yes many metal players use JCM800s but most all use some kind of boost.

2. About the line 6 question...sorry but yes you are.
Quote by JayLacelle
1. Yes many metal players use JCM800s but most all use some kind of boost.

2. About the line 6 question...sorry but yes you are.

I thought so.

I was looking at some Randalls and Mesa's but mannn it starts to hurt the wallet when you throw the Mesas into the mix.
Quote by j71
I thought so.

I was looking at some Randalls and Mesa's but mannn it starts to hurt the wallet when you throw the Mesas into the mix.

Yeah mesas can be expensive. I must admit though peavey makes some very good value products so if your looking for tone on the cheap, go check them out.
As people have said, Marshall arn't that great for metal without a boost.
Remember that owning a Marshall amp dosn't make you any better at guitar or make you more popular with the ladies or anything like that.

If you like the tone of the bands that you listed and would like to sound like them, why wouldn't you get the amps that they use? Especially if you don't have a budget.

Someone here will know more about this than I do but if I'm not mistaken 5150s and 6505s are almost identical?

Also you could but a used 5150 if you had to have one of those.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by JayLacelle
Yeah mesas can be expensive. I must admit though peavey makes some very good value products so if your looking for tone on the cheap, go check them out.

I was checking out a Randall RH150 head and you seem to be able to get some pretty good tone out of it.

A Mesa is definately not out of the question, but I'm sure I'd have to get a cab or some new speakers because the stock Celestions in the MG412a cab seem pretty garb. But I'm taking it down so maybe ill be able to mix and match some stuff too.
Just to point out...Peavey never stopped making the 5150, they just changed the name.

The 5150 was EVH's sig amp and when he left Peavey he took the name with him. Peavey obviously didn't want to lose this iconic amp from their catalogue so relaunched the exact same amp under the 6505 name.

Some people will try to tell you that they can hear a difference...I've never A/Bed them side by side, but I have played both and I'll tell you, if there is a difference, it's nothing that anyone will ever notice.
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Last edited by idiotbox919 at Jun 19, 2010,
Quote by FuzzLove
As people have said, Marshall arn't that great for metal without a boost.
Remember that owning a Marshall amp dosn't make you any better at guitar or make you more popular with the ladies or anything like that.

If you like the tone of the bands that you listed and would like to sound like them, why wouldn't you get the amps that they use? Especially if you don't have a budget.

Someone here will know more about this than I do but if I'm not mistaken 5150s and 6505s are almost identical?

Also you could but a used 5150 if you had to have one of those.

Yeah I suppose I should actually get what they use.. Well there IS a budget, but like.. I'm not afraid to shell out cash.

Yeah as far as I know the 6505's are pretty similar but people have been saying to stay away from em :S
Quote by idiotbox919
Just to point out...Peavey never stopped making the 5150, they just changed the name.

The 5150 was EVH's sig amp and when he left Peavey he took the name with him. Peavey obviously didn't want to lose this iconic amp from their catalogue so relaunched the exact same amp under the 6505 name.

Some people will try to tell you that they can hear a difference...I've never A/Bed them side by side, but I have played both and I'll tell you, if there is a difference, it's nothing that anyone will ever notice.

Thank you! Thats great to know. Some of my friends are very skeptical of it.

edit: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-Plus-Half-Stack?sku=485055

That makes me drool.
Last edited by j71 at Jun 19, 2010,
Well if that makes you drool, it's the tone that you are after and you can afford it, I think you have found your amp.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
Well if that makes you drool, it's the tone that you are after and you can afford it, I think you have found your amp.

Do you anything about the Valveking that they make? (I honestly get maybe 2-3 times year where I get to actually go play this stuff and youtube doesnt do it justice)
The Valveking is kinda like a beginner's tube amp, if you know what I mean. There's nothing wrong with it as such, but it's cheap and there are MANY amps that sound FAR better.

You'll definatly get much better over-drive tones from a 6505.

Also, avoid the Valveking cabs, they suck.
Quote by FuzzLove
The Valveking is kinda like a beginner's tube amp, if you know what I mean. There's nothing wrong with it as such, but it's cheap and there are MANY amps that sound FAR better.

You'll definatly get much better over-drive tones from a 6505.

Also, avoid the Valveking cabs, they suck.

Cant be any worse than my mg412a cab.

Well.. I definately keep that in mind when I go check it out. They might not even have that hahahaha. But. It might be the right price at the time and ill definately do an A/B with different heads too.

Thanks alot for your help everyone.

Cheers. I'll update this when I get back.
Quote by j71

Yeah as far as I know the 6505's are pretty similar but people have been saying to stay away from em :S

Who? And why?

The only difference between the Peavey 5150/5150 II and 6505/6505+ Is the numbers.

You say Parkway Drive used them, I know In Flames did too and I'd be willing to bet any amount that at some point in their career Shadows Fall did too. The amp is pretty much an industry standard and workhorse and while I can't personally vouch for their reliability, I can't say I've heard too many horror stories about them (Or any really...).

I'm not saying go for it but definitely don't rule it out. How important are cleans to you?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by GNR4EVER
Who? And why?

The only difference between the Peavey 5150/5150 II and 6505/6505+ Is the numbers.

You say Parkway Drive used them, I know In Flames did too and I'd be willing to bet any amount that at some point in their career Shadows Fall did too. The amp is pretty much an industry standard and workhorse and while I can't personally vouch for their reliability, I can't say I've heard too many horror stories about them (Or any really...).

I'm not saying go for it but definitely don't rule it out. How important are cleans to you?

yeah, I checked out a few demo vids and they sound pretty beast. SF never used em, but I get the point.

Cleans are definately a second. I wouldnt mind something decent, but its not THAT important. Something crisp with a bit of reverb and chorus is fine for me. Parkway Drive has quite a few melodic parts in their songs, but I'm sure they use some sort of gear combos to get it.
Quote by j71
I was checking out a Randall RH150 head and you seem to be able to get some pretty good tone out of it.

A Mesa is definately not out of the question, but I'm sure I'd have to get a cab or some new speakers because the stock Celestions in the MG412a cab seem pretty garb. But I'm taking it down so maybe ill be able to mix and match some stuff too.

if interested i have an RH100G3 for sale $$300 and shipping. its a great head. email me at anderson0090 at gmail dot com if you are interested.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Ive got a question to whomever can answer it.

How often do tubes blow out/how do they blow out?

I've always been so reluctant to getting them for that reason. I cant exactly get them where I live.. so.
^ Depends on the amp, but tubes can blow at any time for any reason, really. Doesn't mean they necessarily do. There are amps from the '60s that have original tubes that still work. Typically tubes blow from a failure in the circuit of some kind, but they can also blow from stress, or age.

Generally, expect power tubes to last you a year or so if you play for a couple hours every day. This varies depending on how loud you play too. Preamp tubes will last 3 to 4 years on the same playing schedule... except the phase inverter, which is the hardest-worked preamp tube, which you should replace every time you change power tubes.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
God damnit.. Well the Randall RH series are probably the best solid state amps ive ever seen.
6505 = 5150

As mentioned earlier, the 6505 was just a re-brand of the 5150 when EVH left Paevey.

Also, I know you have no budget, but you mentioned that your wallet hurts when you throw Mesas into consideration... would it be right to assume that US$2,000 is your upper limit for head + cab?

If that is the case, then maybe you can consider a Bugera TriRec + Avatar cab?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 20, 2010,
It starts getting rough around the 3,000 dollar value. I know a new 6505 is like 2 grand with cab. Plus I'll be throwing my MG and Spider III in for probably 500 combined.

But yes, If I could hover around the 2k mark.. im laughing.
Quote by j71
It starts getting rough around the 3,000 dollar value. I know a new 6505 is like 2 grand with cab. Plus I'll be throwing my MG and Spider III in for probably 500 combined.

But yes, If I could hover around the 2k mark.. im laughing.

Ok... would this amp be like a workhorse amp... or is it like an amp that will need to last you for the next 20 years?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Ok... would this amp be like a workhorse amp... or is it like an amp that will need to last you for the next 20 years?

Honestly, I made a mistake 2 years ago by getting a Marshall MG because it was the first halfstack I ever bought and I didn't think it through.

I've been recently inspired to play again after that time by Parkway Drive, and no matter what I do, I cannot find a good tone for metal from it. So I'm looking to tone match for what its worth and maybe play a little more often.

Maybe 5 hours a week total.
If you want an end-all solution...

EVH 5150 III
http://www.zzounds.com/item--EVH2251000

+

Avatar GU 412 w/ Celestion Vintage 30s or Classic Lead 80s (this is supposed to be what the Mesa Black Shadows are based on)
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/contemporary%20412.htm

ex shipping, you're looking at a price range of US$2,579.

With the exception of the cab, this rig should last you a long time.

If you're more into the budget alternative, consider the

Bugera 6262 212 comb (effectively the 6505+ or 5150+)
This will run you up US$660

or

6505+ head
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481431
+

Avatar GU 412 w/ Celestion Vintage 30s or Classic Lead 80s (this is supposed to be what the Mesa Black Shadows are based on)

This will run you up US$1,579.

Or

Bugera TriRec

+

Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by ragingkitty

EVH 5150 III

+

I posted a link earlier to a Peavey 6505 (Which I KNOW Parkway Drive uses) for like 1800.

I might get that if I don't find what I want in the city. I'm really liking those Randall RH series, they are I guess a singe-tube valve driven machine and the tone is pretty good, and its like 900 for a stack.

Edit: Even cheaper on zzounds. http://www.zzounds.com/item--RANRX120RHS
Last edited by j71 at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by ragingkitty

EVH 5150 III

+

With the exception of the cab, this rig should last you a long time.

If you're more into the budget alternative, consider the

Bugera 6262 212 comb (effectively the 6505+ or 5150+)
This will run you up US$660

or

6505+ head
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481431
+

This will run you up US$1,579.

Or

Bugera TriRec

+

Would that cab with the vintages be better than the 6505 cab do you think?
Quote by j71
I posted a link earlier to a Peavey 6505 (Which I KNOW Parkway Drive uses) for like 1800.

I might get that if I don't find what I want in the city. I'm really liking those Randall RH series, they are I guess a singe-tube valve driven machine and the tone is pretty good, and its like 900 for a stack.

Edit: Even cheaper on zzounds. http://www.zzounds.com/item--RANRX120RHS

Not entirely sure about the quality of the Peavey cabs.

Also, while I've not tried the Randall there... why don't you consider the Randall RM20 or 50.. it'll give you modular flexibility for tones beyond just the 6505.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by j71
Would that cab with the vintages be better than the 6505 cab do you think?

Can't say, I've never run a 6505 through anything but the stock cab.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Not entirely sure about the quality of the Peavey cabs.

Also, while I've not tried the Randall there... why don't you consider the Randall RM20 or 50.. it'll give you modular flexibility for tones beyond just the 6505.

Gahh why does this have to be difficult..

I know for a fact that when I get home I'm gunna be pissed that I didn't get something for a reason or other.

I guess half of this is going to be finding out what theyve got and trying it. Since I'm bringing my cab with me, maybe i could just interchange a 6505 head and get some celestion 30's or something thrown in instead of buying a new cab completely. Might not even have to if the head will make the difference.
Quote by j71
Ive got a question to whomever can answer it.

How often do tubes blow out/how do they blow out?

I've always been so reluctant to getting them for that reason. I cant exactly get them where I live.. so.

My Bugera 333XL has never blown a tube. I replaced them from EL34s to 6L6's after a week just coz but its been 2 and a bit years and id say 6 gigs later it's still fine

So tubes blowing isn't really super common me thinks
Gear:
Fender American Standard Strat
Zoom G5
Blackstar HT1 mini stack

Epiphone G400 SG Goth / with Emg 81 +85
LP kit
Jackson RR24m
Jackson Dk2M
Maton EM225c
Bugera 333XL
Randall RA412XL
ISP Decimator G String
Boss Tu-2
Boss RC-2
Quote by henza_x
My Bugera 333XL has never blown a tube. I replaced them from EL34s to 6L6's after a week just coz but its been 2 and a bit years and id say 6 gigs later it's still fine

So tubes blowing isn't really super common me thinks

I was reading a bunch of user reviews for the Bugera line, and they all seem to be "Its okay, but get the real thing if you want it."
Okay well... I found that a store in the city is carrying a HK Switchblade head for like 1800 bucks. I'm wondering if that is way overpriced.

Also, how reliable are sites like "musicians friend" and stuff like that, because there is a 6505 on there that I might get if the city yields nothing.

appreciate any help I can get.

EDIT: Okay I see on MF that they sell em new for like 1200 tops. Wow.
Last edited by j71 at Jun 21, 2010,
Try a Bugera 6260/2 The closest thing Bugera makes to the 5150 (some say nearly identical)
Honestly, if thats the tone your looking for, the 6260/2 will get you there. They do sound much like 5150/6505...but with a bit more bottom end.
No one knows what the tri-rec will sound like, so it's hard to recommend that one. Besides, a 6260 is like $500...quite a deal!
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Page 1 of 2