I am having trouble conveying this question, hope someone can help. I am trying to un learn years of bad habits...
Some players anchor their index finger, fretting or barring three or more strings while executing pull offs as they descend a lead scale or riff. Others move their index finger to the next string before doing the pull off...articulating each note, moving all fingers as they descend the riff. Does this make sense? Fretting more than one string in preparation for descending the riff seems to go a lot faster, but transitioning from a semi barred position to "stick" a single note with my index finger seems awkward. Can someone wade through my bad explanation and tell me what I should be practicing on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Levicah
Quote by supersac
you should practice both just to have the option of doing both

So, are you saying neither way leads to the dark side? How about the context of shredding and fast rock and roll? Jimmy Page often anchors his index finger while the rest of his fingers do all the work. Or I should say, it appears that he plays that way. I just dont want to spend time learning something that will trap me into being slow.
Levicah
Quote by levicah
So, are you saying neither way leads to the dark side? How about the context of shredding and fast rock and roll? Jimmy Page often anchors his index finger while the rest of his fingers do all the work. Or I should say, it appears that he plays that way. I just dont want to spend time learning something that will trap me into being slow.
Levicah

Neither way really leads to the "dark side" as you put it but there are certain things that each is good for.

If you leave your finger in place and barre across strings you tend to get once string ringing into the other much like the end of the Stairway solo. You can stop that if your muting is good but if you really want that clean, modern shred, sound you need to move your finger from one string to the next.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Neither way really leads to the "dark side" as you put it but there are certain things that each is good for.

If you leave your finger in place and barre across strings you tend to get once string ringing into the other much like the end of the Stairway solo. You can stop that if your muting is good but if you really want that clean, modern shred, sound you need to move your finger from one string to the next.
Yeah, both have their uses. Also, it's tough to add vibrato on the higher string in the barre. However, being able to do rolling barres is a great way to play consecutive notes at the same fret but on different strings.
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
The barre has a lot more extra noise. Both styles definitely have their uses
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."