Can you take a right handed fender custom shop stratocaster and convert it to a lefty? I assume you just reverse the nut and the saddles.
You wouldn't even need to reverse the saddles, just adjust them so it's set up right. Instant Hendrix.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well, could you take a lefty strat and flip it? Has anybody ever tried it? Seems stupid, because you could just get a right handed one, but you could try to emulate Hendrix' tone by doing that, no?

Try to swim without getting wet - I dare you.
Quote by Jetblack101
Well, could you take a lefty strat and flip it? Has anybody ever tried it? Seems stupid, because you could just get a right handed one, but you could try to emulate Hendrix' tone by doing that, no?

Or just flip the pickups. That would make it ALOT easier... And cheaper
Didn't Hendrix play with the strings the 'wrong way' round? Like, still set up for a right handed player?
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by Brad_Bassist

Flipping the pickups is easier than flipping the strings?

Try to swim without getting wet - I dare you.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You wouldn't even need to reverse the saddles, just adjust them so it's set up right. Instant Hendrix.

yep. what he said.
Quote by Jetblack101
Flipping the pickups is easier than flipping the strings?

He's saying it's easier to flip the pickups in a righty strat (that the poster is assumed to have) than finding and buying a lefty strat and getting it reverse-strung and set up.
Quote by seemeel
Didn't Hendrix play with the strings the 'wrong way' round? Like, still set up for a right handed player?

Nope, a few people have in the past (Albert King is the first name that comes to mind) but Hendrix didn't, he took a righty strat, flipped it and strung it lefty style.

Quote by Jetblack101

Why would TS want to do that? He's doing it pure Hendrix style and is therefore, I assume, a natural lefty.

Seriously, people are making this thread way too complicated, TS is talking about doing it the exact same way as Hendrix and somehow you've all managed to swap the hands around
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jun 19, 2010,
Quote by DynamiteRabbit
No, but I've heard he COULD play like that.

I bet he played with the strings the "wrong way" for left handers AND with his teeth, whilst the guitar on fire and downing a keg at the same time.
Quote by Jetblack101

Steve Miller did this for years. Look at the cover of The Steve Miller Band's Fly Like an Eagle album and you'll see him playing an upside-down left-handed Strat.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Brad_Bassist

NO... unlike humbuckers the Singlecoil pickups on a strat are tilted... therefore it would sound different depending on which way they are tilted, etc. etc.
Where's Waldo?
Yeah, you could do that if you flip the nut. But you'll have some problems:

Vibrato bar is on the other side.
Control knobs are on the other side, being in the way of your picking arm.
Body shape is not quite ergonomic that way.
Strap buttons are flipped, so instead of being upward the button on the horn is downward, so you need to redrill the strap button to the other horn if you ever want to use a strap.

Other than that, theres nothing that makes it impossible to do.. just not quite comfortable