I've been playing this for about 2 years now:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAIJX121

and I've replaced the cord and strings. I'm still pretty happy with it but I think it's time to upgrade. I love the guitar, so I think I'd like to get new pickups instead of a whole new guitar. Maybe a new amp too, might possibly get a band going.

Any suggestions? I'm not sure what sounds good and whatnot haha.
Get a new amp first and foremost. What are your musical tastes and current gear?
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Quote by Chikao42
Get a new amp first and foremost. What are your musical tastes and current gear?

I'm into metal. Like older metal. My gear is what you see on that link, but with Dimebag strings.
Whats your budget? And getting a new amp would probably be the best idea
Say no to drugs, but drink is good...
seymour duncan JB, kinda the standard passive replacement pickup
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by Casually_Spoken
Whats your budget? And getting a new amp would probably be the best idea

I'm thinking around 300-400
Bugera 6262, Or 333xl,

maybe even the new Trirec ones that are based on a mesa iirc

Unsure the price in the US, I'd imagine around $500. maybe a bit more for a new combo.
I would suggest getting a seymour duncan JB. In fact I have a neck JB that I got used in the bridge and it sounds amazing. Everything is sharp, clear, and the harmonics are amazing. It's my best sounding guitar when it comes to metal.
Get a Laney amp - they will beat the shit out of you AND your mother. They are very good!
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Trirecs have around $1000 MSRP, so they'll end up being $800-900 for the head.

New amp would be good first, probably take at least $500 for one that's worth your while, not just a toy. Then another guitar would be good also, that'll be around $400-$900 depending how fancy and quality you wanna go for.

Buying used stuff could rip that price in half, leaving money for pedals and food and whatnot.

EDIT: don't feel forced to buy something right away. Save your money for what you really want.
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by Tedward

New amp would be good first, probably take at least $500 for one that's worth your while, not just a toy. Then another guitar would be good also, that'll be around $400-$900 depending how fancy and quality you wanna go for.

Buying used stuff could rip that price in half, leaving money for pedals and food and whatnot.

EDIT: don't feel forced to buy something right away. Save your money for what you really want.

This.

A total budget of 300-400 won't get you much in terms of a guitar AND amp.

You might be able to buy a used Peavey Valveking for 300 or something. The 112 version of the amp should be enough if you ever play with a drummer. Then with the other 100 bucks you can grab yourself a distortion pedal or something.

But going with what the quote said. Don't feel forced to upgrade anything just yet. If you can wait and save some more money, you'll be much happier in the long run.

I'd save up another 300-400 (if it's possible, don't feel bad if you can't manage to save the money) for the guitar if you've been playing for 2 years and get yourself some intermediate equipment.
lol you can't buy really anything mesa for $400.

Look at Peavey amps. They are usually one of the cheaper brands/bang for your buck, companies.

Take a look at an old Peavey Transtube, they are really good for solid state. Or look around for some kind of tube amp. Either way your honestly going to need to upgrade your amp and guitar eventually. Don't waste money on pickups, that won't really change anything.

I'd get a good amp, then take a look at a decent Ibanez RG. Like an RG2 EX1. I sold my RG2EX1 for $175 recently. You can get them cheap and they are pretty good guitars. Definitely better than my Mexican Strat.
Assuming you're not gigging, just look at Blackstar HTs with a decent OD pedal.

For general practice they are one of the better sounding practice amps and don't have that bad digital high gain, over compressed tone.

As for guitars, I really like Ibanez RG321 models. They feel great, look great and are pretty cheap.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Arterial
You should save up and get yourself some better gear too siver :P

You think I'm not?

I have a feeling you set that up as a personal attack Mr. Mesa.
Quote by Arterial
Ehh, youre on my good side so if youre being hostile =[

Sorry, I just don't have much money to spend. Only reason I got my guitar over an amp was for three reasons:

1) I was starting to hate my G-400
2) It was in mint condition, but it was being sold cheaper as "used".
3) I don't gig. (If I ever do is when I worry about it.)

I just hate that preconception, some people think I'm retarded because I still have the Spider. Also it doesn't help when you have a friggin PGM, Mesa, and 2 Schecters I don't have that much money
Quote by Arterial
All good. Plus I already know youre retarded, even without the spider hah!

-_-
Quote by Arterial
I kid. anyway we've hijacked this thread.

Lol I guess it's a matter of waiting for the TS to see if he has any more questions now
Quote by siverstorm

Lol I guess it's a matter of waiting for the TS to see if he has any more questions now

Pretty much, do you use UG chat?
accept my add already.