Alright, so here's what I'm looking at right now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phcrV7LZ7GE

At about 1:57, I wanna know what's going on. Here's what I mean... Before 1:57, he seems to have a medium amount of fuzz, not too much. But at 1:57 when it goes into the bridge, the fuzz gets pretty nasty. What exactly did he do, as in pedal-wise? I know he has an MXR Micro Amp, did he switch this on?

Man, I'm starting to look like a Jack White fanboy, this isn't good

EDIT: Here's a better quality video, the bridge starts at 1:02 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agr3GmFJKEA&feature=related
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jun 19, 2010,
He could've done a lot of things, my guess is probably a hotter bridge pickup and an OD or Tubescreamer to boost the fuzz a little further
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by mmolteratx
Big Muff bro.

I know he has a Big Muff

I mean, at the beginning of the song, he has his Big Muff on, but just a medium amount of fuzz. Then at the bridge, he stomps on a pedal, and suddenly there's a shitton of fuzz.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
I know he has a Big Muff

I mean, at the beginning of the song, he has his Big Muff on, but just a medium amount of fuzz. Then at the bridge, he stomps on a pedal, and suddenly there's a shitton of fuzz.

Yeah an Overdrive to boost the fuzz
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

The beginning is just amp distortion. Then he kicks in the Big Muff.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs

It's a Big Muff. The beginning is amp distortion, not sure how many times I'll have to say this.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx

hmmm... I don't know if he's ever known to use his amp's distortion... This could be the case, but I don't know.
Any of his lower gain stuff is typically that Silvertone. A Big Muff sounds nothing like that until it's kicked in at the bridge.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Any of his lower gain stuff is typically that Silvertone. A Big Muff sounds nothing like that until it's kicked in at the bridge.

Yeah, I guess you're right, I just looked up an interview with him about his gear. I could've sworn it sounds like he has the sustain on the Big Muff turned down low and then the Micro Amp boosts it.
A Micro Amp into a Big Muff would cause an increase in gain but definitely not that much. And the tone at the beginning is way to middy and natural sounding for a Big Muff.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Honestly he basically only has the micro amp because the archtop he uses for Open A is very low output and needs a little help
Quote by mmolteratx

this. he does this all the time with his big muff. you need to watch more videos of him if you're gonna call yourself a fanboy.
i think jack said he leaves on the micro amp pretty much all the time. he never uses it as a boost mid-song like that.
<3 u
Last edited by work sucks at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by work sucks
this. he does this all the time with his big muff. you need to watch more videos of him if you're gonna call yourself a fanboy.
i think jack said he leaves on the micro amp pretty much all the time. he never uses it as a boost mid-song like that.

True. With the exception of the raconteurs where he not only has a micro amp on his board but also built into his triple jet. THAT is some crazy crunchy feedback! Layered Microamp, Bigmuff, Micro amp again and then into filtertrons! Thats HIGAIN garage as ****!
If love was money I could afford you honey.

Bandalism [Ban-dil-i-zem] n.: the willful or malicious destruction of, or damage to, the fabric of a rock/pop/indie/metal group brought about by one or more of its members.
Quote by work sucks

Well the only reason I said I might be turning into a Jack White fanboy is because I've made like 2 or 3 threads about him in the past couple days.