Hey all, my band just finished tracking our first demo and I'm looking for some feedback, mainly on the vocals. When I listen to it, the vocals seem weak and just don't feel right to me. Are there any tips/suggestions/techniques you guys could offer to improve the quality should we decide to do another round of vocal tracks? Not really looking for recording advice since the guy doing our work is fairly solid, but you can if you want. Feel free to comment on the other aspects of the song/mix. It's located in my profile "Only You Know".

Thanks in advance!

PS - I'm not the singer, but we are going to have a band meeting to talk about how we think the recordings are turning out and I would like to have some good points to bring up. I personally feel everything is pretty solid except the vocals, but I'm not sure how I would go about changing them.
Last edited by CDubDSP at Jun 19, 2010,
i listened to it and its good but to me it sounds like the singer is just singing over random riffs they're good riffs but it sounds like the singer is singing the same melody over all the riffs
good singer btw i wish i could go that high for some of the vocal melodies i write
Last edited by supersac at Jun 19, 2010,
The singer sounds like a girl.

The tone's good but it's all head voice, no real power or body behind it. Also I don't think the song helps, it feels kind of disjointed and meandering...the vocalist doesn't really have anything to get a grip of either rhythmically or melodically.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
The singer sounds like a girl.

That's because she is a girl.

Quote by steven seagull
The tone's good but it's all head voice, no real power or body behind it.

I agree with this analysis, that's why I posted this thread because those were my thoughts as well. When we play live she is able to get plenty of power behind her voice to really carry the song well. Do you have any suggestions/tips/techniques/ideas to help recreate that "live" feeling and bring the power into a studio setting?
Last edited by CDubDSP at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by CDubDSP
That's because she is a girl.

That would explain it then
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by CDubDSP

I agree with this analysis, that's why I posted this thread because those were my thoughts as well. When we play live she is able to get plenty of power behind her voice to really carry the song well. Do you have any suggestions/tips/techniques/ideas to help recreate that "live" feeling and bring the power into a studio setting?

If she can't recreate a balanced voice in a studio, despite having done it infront of a crowd, it's entirely possible that she uses primarily head voice infront of a crowd too, but maybe just gets a bit excited at the gig, as you all do.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Something that is adding to the disjointed feel is the phrasing. Sometimes she adds too many words and clutters the melody. Most amateur song writers struggle with this. Always remember that the melody is much more important than the words that are said. The vast majority of music listeners cannot recite the lyrics of a song they just listened to but can give you the melody.

.02 and I could be wrong!