So my goal for this summer is to learn this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0onhHD9zjI&feature=related

Now I have my thumb pick and I picked up my guitar and I go to myself "this can't be too hard"

And then I try to keep the thumb notes and lead notes synced and im like WTF

So where should I begin on my quest to learn this song? Should I jump right into the song or should i do different routines to build this technique first?
I don't have much experience with advanced finger picking, but i'm pretty decent and my advice is to learn each part separately, then put them together at a very slow tempo, eventually building up your speed.
Dude, that is wicked. If you can manage that, brilliant/.. I just tried to play it then - WAAAY too hard for me to get the bass and lead sorted. Good luck.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
Dude, that is wicked. If you can manage that, brilliant/.. I just tried to play it then - WAAAY too hard for me to get the bass and lead sorted. Good luck.

haha too bad I made my goal before I even tried it and realized the difficulty. But I'm still gonna go at it and try it.
you just need to build some finger independence which comes from playing lots and lots of finger picking songs.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
The fellow in the OP's vid is almost using his thumbpick like a flatpick, and it's almost as if he's doing what a flatpicker would call "hybrid picking."
He's also throwing in strumming techniques both with downsweeps of the fingers (like a frailing banjo style) and occasional down-sweeps with the thumbpick.

A rather hybrid style....

This:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk4NXIhNtwA&feature=related

Is more what I think of when we talk about "fingerpicking".....It's what we used to call "Travis picking". This guy is fairly advanced, but there are plenty of good instructional items on YouTube.