So I bought a Line 6 Vetta 1 combo with upgraded firmware for AU$1000. It proceeded to start pooping itself as regularly as your great great grandmother that you had to put in a home a few years ago.

It will cost AU$820 to repair, which is a new processor and screen if memory serves me correctly.

I like the Vetta, however by all accounts what I REALLY want is a Fractal Audio Axe Fx Ultra.

Do I try and sell the fixed Vetta with new parts for AU$1200 and recoup some of my losses to put towards to Axe?

Do I try and sell the Vetta as is for AU$400?

Do I just take back the Vetta and use the speakers/poweramp with the Axe Fx until I can afford a better setup?

Do I quit guitar and play the triangle?

All I want is an Axe Fx WHY WON'T YOU HELP ME?!?!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
tough choice

my gut reaction is take your loss and focus on what you really want

meaning the triangle.
I AGREE
Quote by Hobo69
meaning the triangle.

This.

Better yet, plug the triangle into the AxeFx!

But seriously, I can't imagine it being worth the 800$ to fix something you're just gonna get rid of. Cut your losses and go for the AxeFx.
Now what were people saying about valve amps not being easier to fix?

I rest my case.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Can you not get your money back for the Vetta?
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
FuzzLove and fullsailstudent, it was bought second hand in good faith. New they're about US$1500.

Cathbard, anecdotal evidence. You obviously realise this but just pointing out your argument sucks.

enselmis and 311ZOSOVHJH, that is what I was leaning towards however if anyone has any more experience buying/selling gear maybe you'd have some better ideas?
Last edited by squidlips at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by squidlips
Cathbard, anecdotal evidence. You obviously realise this but your argument sucks.

Well riddle me this Batman, what component inside a valve amp costs anything like $800?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
When did easy become cheap?

And I don't want to know about your ex-girlfriends

Just so I'm clear, this is a digital modelling amp. The digital side is what gave out, not anything to do with the solid state nature of the amp.
Last edited by squidlips at Jun 20, 2010,
Getting the money is hard, you have to work for hours to get the money. It's so hard that it's often not worth the effort.
This has always been a major gripe of mine with modelling amps. Computers are unreliable (I won't even have one in my car) and when they crap out it's cheaper to buy a new one normally.
It's the whole consumerist culture that I think I object to the most. People don't buy things they can fix and keep them going themselves, they just dump and replace.
For $800 I could recondition several valve amps. Plexis and Blackface Twins will still be rocking out when all the modelling amps have returned to the sand from whence they came.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Radiohead and The Mars Volta are probably the most effects driven bands I'm influenced by. I like a variety of reverbs, I'm big on delay, like to use chorus, phaser, flange sparingly but often. I'm not trying to turn my music into noise but for someone who plays everything from The Eels to Meshuggah something like the Axe Fx just makes sense.
I don't even know whether you're trying to say modelling is bad because you've found 'computers' unreliable in your experience, or whether somehow valve is easier to maintain than solid state now. Regardless, doesn't belong in this thread but it make make an interesting discussion if you want to start your own thread.
just saying, i am in a somwhat similar situation, my gear is usable and actually pretty darn good, the Axe is just what i would prefer due to versatility, tweakability, etc

Cathbard, just saying, that might be true about most ss or computer stuff, but for many things, like the Axe fx, there is a warranty, if it craps out on its own they'll replace it, because it shouldn't

and imo, pink floyd is the most ridiculous effects-using band i've heard
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Quote by Metalmaker
just saying, i am in a somwhat similar situation, my gear is usable and actually pretty darn good, the Axe is just what i would prefer due to versatility, tweakability, etc

Cathbard, just saying, that might be true about most ss or computer stuff, but for many things, like the Axe fx, there is a warranty, if it craps out on its own they'll replace it, because it shouldn't

and imo, pink floyd is the most ridiculous effects-using band i've heard

This. And post-rock.

So maybe now the question is how much will any of you suckers pay for a Vetta with busted display and processor?
Quote by Metalmaker

Isn't that my whole point? It has a serviceable lifetime equal to the length of the warrantee. After that it's just "dump and replace". Even within the warrantee they are likely to just replace it themselves rather than repair it. I'm not saying not to buy an AxeFX, just pointing out the realities. All of these gadgets are consumerables.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
here we go with the consumerable thing again

j/k

seriously, if you think about it tube amps are pretty easy to fix. Usually the most expensive component is a transformer and those are usually the last things to go. If you are running a power amp you will have a transformer anyway, often two of them. just sayin'

processors and displays are not as easy to replace. I'd rather have a kick ass tube amp and a few pedals or even a Pod XT live.
What about if you wanted to record? I'm not saying the Axe Fx is going to have THE best sounds in the world ever, but @ 95% of the way..

Consider cost to versatility, weight and portability, customer service, expandability and the Axe Fx becomes a very attractive 'consumerable'. I'd like to consume it right now if only someone would buy my bloody Vetta for 10x what it's worth!
An AxeFX PLUS a nice valve amp sounds tasty to me. But I'd be more likely to get a G-System.

Oh and for recording, use a mic. One of the projects on my todo list is a 12AU7 mic preamp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
An AxeFX PLUS a nice valve amp sounds tasty to me.

An AxeFX Ultra + Mesa Boogie Stereo 2 Ninety power amp into a Mill Acoustic Afterburner 412 is my long term goal.

I don't think you can get any better than that.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
For me the Ultra + Ultimate Ears 18 PRO would be my long term goal. Good luck getting your 4x12s and whatnot over to Japan for your next tour.
Quote by squidlips
Good luck getting your 4x12s and whatnot over to Japan for your next tour.

Nah man, you'd just take the head and hire the big stuff. If it's a generic head you hire that too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Computers are unreliable (I won't even have one in my car) and when they crap out it's cheaper to buy a new one normally.

You know I can't resist responding to this, Cathbard...

One of my computers is about six years old now and has been used for many hours nearly every day. Should a component fail in the future (CPU, RAM, HDD, etc.), I can replace it and I do not have to buy a new laptop. My laptop is almost clocking in at two years and still going strong. Again, if a component fails I can replace it.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!