I've tuned drop c (CGCFAD) from standard but the bottom string (C) dosent sound right even tho i've used a tuner. I'm thinking maybe it's slacking because ive unwound it from standard?
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
what size strings u play? If they're a very light gauge then thats ur best bet. for drop C i recommend 11's for a good tight-ish feel.
Yeah, the tension is probably too low. You will most likely need a thicker string.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
There could be a bunch of things that could be it. Firstly, what are you comparing your "correct sound" to, and what does yours sound like?

It's most likely that your string gauge isn't thick enough. If it's not thick enough, when you drop the string, it gets very "thin" and "metallic" sounding when most people want it to be pretty bassey.
Are you using light strings? Flobby strings lose note definition/retention when you lower the tunings.
I know from experience that one of my own tuners doesn't do low notes too well, telling me that a low D is slightly higher in pitch than it ought to be. Try tuning the string by ear instead.

Thinner strings might also be it.
Last edited by Zeropathic at Jun 20, 2010,
Ah well it's probably string gauge then, um if i had thicker strings how would that affect me playing in standard?

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
"Flobby" - yes, that's a technical term.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
It'd be slightly tougher to play, bends in particular. You'd also get a more "massive" sound.
Quote by Brownerz
Ah well it's probably string gauge then, um if i had thicker strings how would that affect me playing in standard?

I play with .52's in standard. That's pretty damn thick for standard tuning. It gives the sound more "body", if you know what I mean.

Quote by Zeropathic
It'd be slightly tougher to play, bends in particular. You'd also get a more "massive" sound.

I never had trouble with any of this, and I've gone all the way up to .56's.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I never had trouble with any of this, and I've gone all the way up to .56's.

With thicker strings, more tension is required to produce the same note. Therefore, more muscle power would be required to press down the string.

It's nothing one can't get used to. I mean, SRV did some pretty heavy bends with .13's tuning down only one half step.
Quote by Zeropathic
With thicker strings, more tension is required to produce the same note. Therefore, more muscle power would be required to press down the string.

It's nothing one can't get used to. I mean, SRV did some pretty heavy bends with .13's tuning down only one half step.

I understand that, I'm just saying that I've never had a problem with bends or anything like that... I actually broke one of my .56's cause I bent it TOO much (for reference, I've gone from .42's to .56's)!

Granted, right now I'm playing on .46's, so maybe after playing on .56's for a year or so I got more muscle than needed in my fingers. Either way... my side still stands haha.
Quote by Zeropathic
I know from experience that one of my own tuners doesn't do low notes too well, telling me that a low D is slightly higher in pitch than it ought to be. Try tuning the string by ear instead.

Thinner strings might also be it.

I think this solved it, the tuner said it was dead on c, but i tried tuning to the 4th strings c and presto it sounds pretty nice now. Thanks

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90

Check out my band!
^ i used to use .72 - .13's tuned to standard and i can promise you if your guitar is setup the tension shouldn't be much more than normal ( as your strings should still be close to the fretboard)

i now use 52's and find that they're good on neck thrus from drop C to E standard. you might be able to get it down to drop B or C# standard but im thinking they might start flapping on a normal scale neck.
My thinnest string is .65

Guitar is an instrument of economy and not of strength, so a small change string thickness is really not going to affect you, unless you are beyond a weakling.
If it's a problem because of how low the note is, try hitting a harmonic on the 12th fret (or even 24th, like if you need to tune a bass guitar with a guitar tuner that doesn't seem to play well with low notes) and tune your guitar to that note.