have a Rickenbacker 4001, from the 70's, out of curiosity I wanted to know the exact year this was made, it was lost in translation from my father to me. but I can't find anything on the guitar that indicates a serial number, apart from hand carved numbers in the machine heads

Anyone were they hid the number on this era bass?

thanks
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
The serial number on a 70's ricky should be on the jack plate. If it is a 70s rick, it should start with two letters. The first letter indicates year- A being 1961, B being 1962 and so on. The second letter indicates month, with January being A, Feb being B etc.

From 1987 onwards thios changed to a letter and number system for the date, but since it's a 4001 we're dealing with here, it won't be the case.
Ahh, Thanks I was looking for the stranded LXXXXXXXXXXX Serial number. Forgot how well the bass plays, been using my MIM jazz bass a lot.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
I called the phone number from the Rickenbacker website and he told me the year right away when I read him the serial # off the jackplate (mine's a 1980, can't believe that's considered vintage already)