Hi all-

Forgot old acct info so had to create a new one (doh!). anyways, I have an Ibanez AFS75T Hollowbody and really enjoy the feel of the guitar. I've had it for a few years but, I feel like I'm starting to out pace it's sound but, wondered if there are some easy, cheap upgrades I could do so I could hold onto this thing a little longer?

My main gripe is that the clean sound always sounds a bit off, even after a setup. Would replacing tuners help or, do I start with pickups?

Thanks as always - this has always been my favorite music community to be a part of

Attached a picture of her, too.
Attachments:
1 (Small).JPG
the tuners would be more for tuning stability than tone, but it would do a little to it, and keep it in better tune/more accurate tuning so it might actually give you a tighter, more defined tone. pickups will definitely change the personality and characteristics of your sound completely. do some research, find out what sound you want to go for, and maybe post back here describing what you want in a sound. we'll be more than happy to help you!
Quote by Voltron17
Hi all-

Forgot old acct info so had to create a new one (doh!).

you really shouldnt say that on a forum where multiple accounts are insta-bannable. did you PM an admin beforehand?
I actually have this guitar and love it to death. My only gripe is, after replacing the tuning pegs, the bridge pickup is pretty useless to me, any suggestions? I'm hoping for something more ES-335 sounding
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
No, I didn't pm an admin. I will though. I think I may have had my acct deactivate or something but, it had nothing to do with bad behavior or anything like that.

I'll start researching pickups - I'm sure there are tons of threads on here! lol

I'm looking for a clear, clean sound (of course) but, I always want the depth of that hollowbody to come through. most of what I play is in that melodic/indie area - Built to Spill, Broken Social Scene, Modest Mouse, etc.
well just letting you know because if you dont clear it beforehand then you'll end up banned for multis.

heres a great place to research pickups.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282071
I sent a PM to an admin letting them know the situation. thanks for the heads up all!
that is a great FAQ Jim - cheers for that. I think I've identified what my main issues are -

1. The bridge pickup is too muddy and my tone often gets lost in the mix with drums and another guitar.

2. The neck pickup is too sharp and harsh - I usually find myself having to turn the tone way down to trim it out but, then I run into the same problem as the bridge pickup.

I love warm tones and often use some slight delay. As far as distortion, I use a Hot Rod Deluxe and toggle between that and a Blues Driver.

Again, I play/write a lot of stuff influenced by bands like Built to Spill, Yo La Tengo and Pavement.

Thank you again for all of your help, everyone. As always, great board
Quote by Voltron17
that is a great FAQ Jim - cheers for that. I think I've identified what my main issues are -

1. The bridge pickup is too muddy and my tone often gets lost in the mix with drums and another guitar.

2. The neck pickup is too sharp and harsh - I usually find myself having to turn the tone way down to trim it out but, then I run into the same problem as the bridge pickup.

Same same and same. I have the white and old one.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
I've been doing research on music123 and musician's friend, going through every single humbucker-type pickup and reading specs and reviews to make sure it's what I'm looking for - no super metally, compressed sound or too low-end.

thus far, the top two are Seymour Duncan SHPR-1's which look and sound great because you can switch between Humbucker, P-90 and Single-coil sounds - versatility is key.

also, the Gibson '57 classics sound pretty sweet and the plus - what is the main difference there?

still narrowing down and searching more on the latter site. thanks all! and thank Zeus for YouTube and pup demos!