I'm a drummer by trade but we're not known as the smartest breed so I decided to gate crash this place for some advice.

I plan on using summer job money to purchase my own mics and everything necessary to let me record drum tracks and further down the line tracks for my band because we've been mooching off the equipment in my church.

I was pointed towards firewire because it wouldn't have delay that usb2 would have which was important because I also wanted to record covers to put on youtube and I don't feel like nudging audio tracks. From Firewire I was directed to Presonus interfaces. From Presonus reviews told me about bad customer report and sporadic failings and I don't have the cash flow to deal with a lack in either of those departments. Now I'm resting on a Motu 8pre but I'm still confused as possible.

How do you get the 16 channels it advertises if it has 8 inputs? What in the world is 96 kHZ, 2408mk3, ADAT, and what does it mean by a Firewire equipped computer? It thought the interface was the Firewire... thing.

To top it off, reviews don't give the 8pre a spotless record on lack of failings and perky, helpful tech support.

I feel like I'm swimming up a creek and whatever my destination is is getting farther and farther away. Every answer leads to a bagimathousand more questions.

Any help? Suggestions? please and thank you thank you thank you thank you!
by firewire it means it connects to your computer using the firewire port most computers should have at least one.
Alright, I know how you feel. Starting out and getting gear is a crazy fun thing but let me set the record straight on a few things:

Presonus is pretty solid stuff. They're kinda like the Honda of Interfaces. A lot of people use them, they work mostly fine but there are the few that have problems that people complain about. The Presonus FireStudio is the one I recommend since its pretty much the cheapest thing you can get to record drums well. The Motu Pre8 seems alright but I'm not too familiar with it.

When it means Firewire interface, its how the device hooks into the computer. Firewire is like USB but a different plug and much faster than USB.

the 96kHZ is the sample rate. Basically, it samples your music 96000 times a second as its being recorded. The higher the number, the better though most interfaces are 96kHZ interfaces until you get up into the really high end stuff. Typically for a home recording, this will get by.

The "2408mk3" is the brand of the interface you were looking at by Motu. I looked it up and I don't recommend it for a newer user. It would confuse you at first.

ADAT Lightpipe is basically a way to plug in other devices to each other. Nothing you'll need to worry about when you start recording.

Firewire Equipped computer is a computer with a firewire port. Pretty straight forward.

Hopefully, this helps you a little.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
well if yor wanting the 16 inputs you will have to use the adat
look at the behringer ad88800

96khz is way more than enough as it will be burned down to 44.1 anyway
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by hans the lefty
well if yor wanting the 16 inputs you will have to use the adat
look at the behringer ad88800

96khz is way more than enough as it will be burned down to 44.1 anyway

no. stay away from behringer. especially if you dont want to buy a presonus due to less than stellar reviews. behringer is as close as you can get to a guaranteed breakdown (people will argue, but that's been my, and a lot of other people's experience). they also just dont sound good. they're cheap for people who dont care about quality/sound.

presonus is just fine. nothing amazing, but should work well for you.

ADAT is just a way to connect more inputs to the interface. nothing to worry about in this stage of your recording. but just know that however many inputs that interface has, you can expand on it later. that's how the 16 inputs thing works. you get 8, but you have the ability to expand that to 16 if you want to put the money in.
that about the only good behringer device many people recommend it ive been using one for almost 3 years without a problem. I recomend going on the andy sneap forums
as you will get a better resonse .their are few people here that have any industry experiance over there, they are all top noth engineers
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
you can get a pci card but you need to make sure that it has a certain chip set