So I have recently bought this guitar:

Anyway, as you may have seen in my earlier thread, I bought this when it was advertised as a "1989 ESP Horizon Custom". Before I get excited and do a full write-up about it, I would like to clear up one thing.

Now, as per usual, I like to confirm the origin and date of my guitars, but I can't seem to find the serial number. I have looked over the entire body and I can't find the number anywhere. It does a have a 'Made in Japan' sticker on the back of the headstock though.

Where is the serial number?

I have fired off an email to ESP but I expect their reply to take a fair while.

The guitar looks and feels amazing, and sounds even better. I have been thoroughly impressed by it so far. But the absence of a serial number does make me a bit suspicious.

Does anyone know anything about this sort of guitar, and why I can't find the serial number? Any help is much appreciated.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
maybe it got painted over by the previous owner maybe it is fake, but either way if it plays and sounds good, who cares
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Some companies will put a serial or make number on the back of the neck where it meets the body routing.

I wouldn't recommend taking the neck off, though. If you like it, what's the difference when it was made?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Well, it's more for peace of mind that anything else. I prefer to know that I have a genuine ESP guitar than a thoroughly convincing knockoff.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't ever been re-painted. And I don't know about the neck theory - like you say, I'm not going to remove the neck.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

I think esp didnt even put a serial on the 80's-90's horizon

edit: if you want to be completely sure, take the neck plate out and look at the neck pocket.
Last edited by sirlaser at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by sirlaser
I think esp didnt even put a serial on the 80's-90's horizon

Well maybe they didn't. I don't know. It would clear things up a bit if they didn't, but it also seems a bit silly. Maybe the number is in the neck pocket, but that seems an odd place to put it.

Next time I change the strings I'll remove the neck. There are four screws holding it on - I imagine it's just a matter of unscrewing these screws? there's no glue or anything to worry about?

Its a bolt on right? Just screws. Unless someone (very stupidly) tried to glue the neck in too, but thats extremely unlikely.
Yeah, I assume that there's no glue, I just thought I would ask. The guitar looks absolutely untouched. The current strings are pretty grungy and unpleasant (and quite heavy) so I will get rid of them soon. When I do, I will unscrew the neck and check out the pocket.

Quote by archenemyfan
wow man,what has happened to that FR?looks like a pile of dirt...

Yeah the photo does make it look quite a bit worse than it actually is. But, it is pretty filthy. I gave the body a bit of a clean but the hardware is still pretty bad. When I pull the strings off, I will get a toothbrush into the bridge and get rid of that rubbish.