guess what! its new amp time! but i have no idea what to get. ive started recording my own stuff, and the peavey rage isnt cutting it, as expected. i also want a tube amp. but i have no idea what to get. my budget would be like 300 to 400 bucks, maybe more, maybe less, not quite sure right now. i play mainly alt rock, and indie stuff. (think rhcp, white stripes, 30 sec to mars) but i also like to venture into the high gain tones too. any suggestions are welcome. i play a telecaster, and an esp ex 400.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Bugera V22? It won't do your high gain tones but it'll do RHCP and The White Stripes well. Also look at the Egnater Tweaker and Jet City Amps JCA20.

If you do want high gain, see if you can find a Peavey XXX or Ultra on eBay... also check out the Line 6 Flextone and Peavey Vypyr Tube.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
for $300 i just got a 75 watt peavey vypyr. It's not tube, but it sounds great, really versatile. I don't know much about tube amps as i've never had one, but I don't think you'll get much for $300-400. The vypyr also has a direct USB recording output that's supposed to be really good quality, but i haven't used mine yet so i can't vouch for it.
Quote by K Dizzle
for $300 i just got a 75 watt peavey vypyr. It's not tube, but it sounds great, really versatile. I don't know much about tube amps as i've never had one, but I don't think you'll get much for $300-400. The vypyr also has a direct USB recording output that's supposed to be really good quality, but i haven't used mine yet so i can't vouch for it.

If you go used on CraigsList locally you can grab some nice stuff for cheap, sometimes around the $200 area, you just need to watch CL everyday and wait for the deals to come-a rollin' out. That's how I've scored more than half my gear

Traded my Ibanez acoustic for my V50, paid $250 for my Schecter (Had just sold my Ibanez Semihollow and Ibanez practice amp for $220), got my LTD for $100, got the Arion delay for free with my V50.. Ha
Quote by TheAbsentOne
If you go used on CraigsList locally you can grab some nice stuff for cheap, sometimes around the $200 area, you just need to watch CL everyday and wait for the deals to come-a rollin' out. That's how I've scored more than half my gear

Traded my Ibanez acoustic for my V50, paid $250 for my Schecter (Had just sold my Ibanez Semihollow and Ibanez practice amp for $220), got my LTD for $100, got the Arion delay for free with my V50.. Ha

Nice. Unfortunately, i live in idaho so there's not a lot going on on CL anywhere near me.
Quote by K Dizzle
Nice. Unfortunately, i live in idaho so there's not a lot going on on CL anywhere near me.

And you think New Hampshire has a lot going on? Lol this is over the course of 7 (Going on 8 now) months. >.<

I'm just incredibly patient.. It's worth it.
Vouching for the USB recording quality of Vypyrs.

It sucks.

It tries to 'emulate' speakers but really in the end, fails (expectedly).
But overall a good amp.
Better off recording the traditional way on it though.
You haven't set yourself a very large budget for a tube amp... you'll just have to patiently await some used item to come up for sale locally, most likely.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
how much would i have to save up to get a decient tube? i would be ok with a head and cab, or a combo.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!