Hey UG,

So, I guess it was wednesday or thursday when I changed the strings on my fender strat. I use Ernie Ball Fat Bottoms (0.10). Though, if I look at the strings now they already look like they've been on the guitar for a month or so and they feel kinda old too. Does anyone know how to keep the strings more fresh over time?

Thanks
Gear:

Fender American Strat, texas specials
Fender Tele Baja
VOX AC15
Ibanez Analog Delay
Boss Keeley Blues Driver
Katana boost
Dunlop Wah
buy a string cleaner, or use Elixir strings, they are more expensive, but they last you about 6-7 months
wipe them strings. get a guitar case to put it in. strings wear faster if left out.
Wipe strings, but I find even more importantly: wash your hands before you play. Theres a chance you might have slightly acidic sweat/skin oil which burns the strings faster.
Quote by TimmyPage06
Wipe strings, but I find even more importantly: wash your hands before you play. Theres a chance you might have slightly acidic sweat/skin oil which burns the strings faster.

+1
I have this problem too but I think it's my own fault as I often have the urge to drop the tuning low and then get bored of it and tune it up again. Couple of times of doing this and hey presto the strings are done.
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.
Quote by SamMetalGuitar
buy a string cleaner, or use Elixir strings, they are more expensive, but they last you about 6-7 months

+1

Although the other stuff works too. xD
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
wipe ur strings after playing

Also i find that Ernie Ball strings wear out fast. For me, they also last around like 1 week. Use D'addarios, they last longer. If u have the cash, buy Elixirs, they last REALLY long
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Ever try wiping the strings down with a rag after playing? Can you say Rag? Sure, I knew you could!!
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Wipe your strings down before and after playing, use the stuff littlephil suggested.
Also, clean your hands before playing and dry thoroughly.
Keep your guitar in the case when not in use.

Avoid contact with water.

If you do all of that, those Ernie Balls will last you 3 months with a little luck.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
wipe strings after playing or buy coated strings.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I'd suggest trying D'Arddios. Personally, I use Ernie Balls and I love them, but for some people, they tend to wear much faster than other strings. Its apparently because of the chemical makeup of their sweat, for me, if I use D'Arddios they wear out in 2 weeks, but I can use EBs for 2 months.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Different brands will wear differently for different people. Different differently differently different. Anyhoo, do as others have suggested, wipe the strings down with a microfibre cloth after you play and wash your hands before you play; I would also suggest you try the Ernie Ball Titanium Coated strings. They are more expensive than most strings but they'll survive anything.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.