Page 1 of 2
I know these threads are a dime a dozen, but everyone is different. Been putting a lot of thought of getting a new guitar. I currently have a squire strat and I dislike it. Main guitars I've been looking at are,

Ibanez 1570
Jackson DK2M
Jackson SL-2H

One huge issue my taste in music is split. Some examples;

Kamelot
Hammerfall
MSI
Various J-pop
The pillows
Don't say lazy (forgot the artist)
Video game covers

I'm entirely confused. Would the Ibanez be more versatile in my tastes? Am I looking in the wrong direction? I would love to try these guitars but it would be a four hour drive to even try them.
I'd go Ibanez, no competition. It's a good guitar.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel

did you even check out the other guitars? sure it might be a good guitar but that doesn't mean its automaticly better then the others

out of those i'd definatly pick the sl2h, necktrough/compound radius neck, original floyd rose, the SD pickups, I mean seriously, I wouldn't concider the ibanez competition...

however, the dk2m might be a great buy as well, if you aren't willing to go all out for the soloist :p

anyway the 3 guitars are all great, but obviously the sl2h is the better one, but unfortunatly the most expensive one as well. none of these guitars should let you down, if you decide on the ibanez tho make sure u see if you like the edge pro on it, I for one can't stand those things but I guess that's a personal preference!

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
I was making this same decision a couple of years back and I went for the Ibanez RG1570. Absolutely no regrets as it is a wonderful playing and sounding guitar. And I got it for bargain from the US ($900 AUD inc postage of $250 when the dollar was at 95c, retail here is around $1800 I think?) I have however made a few modifications:

*Blocked the bridge with a bone insert to stop pull up (I don't use the trem a lot so this gives a lot more tuning stability for me anyway)

*Recently changed out the neck pickup for a DiMarzio Liquifire and the bridge pickup for a DiMarzio Crunch Lab. I had it rewired for a 3 way instead of 5 way switch, so that it does just the liquifire, inner coils of liquifire and and crunch lab (solid bar of crunch lab) and just crunch lab.

Very, very happy with it now
Last edited by Lrn2shrd69 at Jun 20, 2010,
You can't go wrong with either the Jackson SL2H and the Ibanez RG1570.

I'd say get the RG1570, everything about it is great (V7/V8 pickups are medicore, they are almost meant to be replaced).

have you tried an Ibanez neck before?
Quote by Tyraziell
You can't go wrong with either the Jackson SL2H and the Ibanez RG1570.

I'd say get the RG1570, everything about it is great (V7/V8 pickups are medicore, they are almost meant to be replaced).

have you tried an Ibanez neck before?

yeah and a jackson and they felt almost identical. by the way, to the author, i would try out a dk2s too.
Well if those are the three guitars you're looking at, then I guess the decision comes down to how much you're willing to spend.

Whichever one you go for, it should be a great guitar. I have a DK2M myself, and it's fantastic. The SL2H, being a more expensive Jackson model ought to be even better, and I've only heard good things about that Ibanez.

So, you can't go wrong!
assuming you're talking about the US-made SL2H (for a while there one of the big US chain stores, sam ash i think, had a special edition MIJ SL2H), then it's going to be the best of the 3, personal preference notwithstanding. It's also going to be the dearest by quite some margin.

I'd put the Ibanez next, with the DK2M in third (but they're fairly close). the Ibanez has a better trem, the Jackson better pickups. The ibanez should also come with a case.

They're all nice guitars (as long as you're willing to swap the trem on the dk2m eventually). Personal preference will play a big part in it, along with the pickup setup. I would agree that HSH is a bit more versatile than HH, it just depends on what you want it for.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The ibanez has bad pickups indeed, but to me that's not an issue when looking for a guitar. What I pay most attention to is the feel of the guitar, after that I pay attention to the wood used. I don't even care about the pickups because, let's face it, they're easy to swap out to the exact pickups you want

What I'm trying to say is, test them out. Get the guitar that feels most natural to you.
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
Last edited by Gego at Jun 20, 2010,
I do like the jackson necks, ibanez is just as conferrable for me. As for pickups I like the SD but they sound hollow. Keep in mind I only can hear them played on places like youtube.

My main concern is will the jacksons be to "metal tone" for my none metal music? I really like this tone for for my video game music. It's a ibanez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwOYJSHfQqc&feature=related

Can you tell I'm a tone freak?
TS, you are officially awesome. Never have I met someone with as messed up a band listing as mine lol.

As for guitars, the Soloist is the best of the 3, though having said that, all 3 are great guitars. The Ibanez will probably need a pickup change though to sound good IMO, INF pickups suck. You're not looking in the wrong place though, so don't worry about that. Buy a guitar you think sounds good and feels good, and it will fit into your style.

Now, as for your post of music and forgeting the artist:

Don't Say Lazy is the closing theme to K-ON! season 1, and is sung by the Seiyuus for the characters, (using Western naming style, Given name then surname) Aki Toyasaki (Yui Hirasawa), Youko Hisaka (Mio Akayama), Satomi Satou (Ritsu Tainaka) and Minato Kotobuki (Tsumugi Kotobuki). Since Season 1, songs released by this grouping, with the addition of Ayana Takatatsu (Azusa Nakano) are generally refered to by the band name from the anime: Hokago Tea Time (English: After School Tea Time). Yes I know WAY too much about K-ON!, but I don't care.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by seemeel

tbh i'm with this guy. I think you'll get a better deal out of any ibanez than you would out of a jackson. I'm still yet to play a jackson I like other than the RR3. And i'm still yet to play an Ibanez that I dont like. Even the GIO's are better than squiers imo.
Everyone is saying the V8 S1 V7 suck.

Only issue here is the jackson would be good for my metal tastes. Ibanez seems better for j-pop and video game music.

Whoops forgot anouther guitar I was looking at, not really sure on the actives though. RGT6EXFX (This one i have to try but no one in this town has one

Edit: Scrap the 1570, I'm getting a Jackson or the RGT6EXFX. Still no idea which one though.
Last edited by Metronome at Jun 21, 2010,
The Jackson can handle the J-Pop just fine. Hell I play Don't Say Lazy on mine all the time, it sounds greats :P. Try it out and see which one sounds better TO YOU.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Would love to, only prob no one has the guitars in stock here >_> They'll only order it if I'm buying it.

Differance between the DK2M Dinky and SL2H.

Made in:
DK2M made in Japan
SL2H made in the USA

Pickups:
DK2M
JB TB4
SH2N

SL2H
TB4
SH1N

SL2H has better floyd rose

What's the major differences in the pickups? Other than that did I get the differnces right?
Quote by onemanarmy9
IMO, INF pickups suck. You're not looking in the wrong place though, so don't worry about that. Buy a guitar you think sounds good and feels good, and it will fit into your style.

Actually it has the V7/S1/V8 pickup combination which is not as bad as you think, they're average pickups but they're certainly not bad.
V series pups go really well with basswood,the entire rg570,550,1570 line has/had V pups,and they are great..people are just dissin them cause they are made by ibanez..not by a big-name brand like EMG(which I think are overpriced crap)

anyway teh SL 2h is better than the Rg1570 no doubt,but it cost 1000$ more than the ibanez..very unfair comparison.but I personally think that the EP is a little bit better than the OFR.

If you can afford the SL2h then go for it.but if you're looking for a much cheaper guitar with almost the same quality and finishing,the 1570..it will cost you less money to buy a 1570 and replace the pups rather than to buy brand new a SL2H
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 21, 2010,
just bear in mind the rgt6exfx isn't made in japan, as far as i'm aware. Personally i'd rather have the 1570 (assuming you want a trem) and swap the pickups. or try to find a new old stock rga121 (also made in japan, but discontinued) if you don't want a trem.

regarding the pickups in the jacksons: bridge pickup is the same. Neck pickup is the '59 in the sl2h and the jazz in the dk2m. from what i can remember, the jazz is more aimed at cleans, the '59 is more of an allrounder.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
just bear in mind the rgt6exfx isn't made in japan, as far as i'm aware. Personally i'd rather have the 1570 (assuming you want a trem) and swap the pickups. or try to find a new old stock rga121 (also made in japan, but discontinued) if you don't want a trem.

yeah,the RGT6EXFX isnt made in japan but it's 899 because of the EMG's,the 1570 has much better quality...and yeah I would have the 1570 too,its a hell lot cheaper(even with new pups)+I am addicted to ibanez's "anorexic" prestige necks
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ibanez and Jacksons feel the same when played. But I would go Ibanez for the basswood. Jackson uses lighter cheaper wood that kills the sound.
lolwut?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by spiderjump
Ibanez and Jacksons feel the same when played. But I would go Ibanez for the basswood. Jackson uses lighter cheaper wood that kills the sound.

sorry man,I respectfully disagree..both use good quality wood
I own the Ibanez RGT6EXFX .. and it SLAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not too fond of jacksons though. been playing my friend's SL3 with a dimarzio X2N. and i really really really prefer my ibanez.

But im pretty sure the ibanez RG1570 is better. i've tried the 1527, which is believe is the 7-string equivalent of the 1570, and it was really great to play.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
IMHO you really cant judge the tone of a guitar by watching videos on youtube,because some are recorded directly,some are recorded with half stacks,some with 15w practice amps...etc.etc.I really dont think there will be much of a difference as 80% of your tone relies on your amp
Quote by Metronome
The more and more I listen to the SL 2H and the 1570 I'm going moving closer to the SL2H. However I can't really afford the $2000 price tag. Will I able to get the same tone with the DK2M as this youtube guitar artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRHI4dqWYLg&feature=related

Not having a decent selection in town really sucks.

To be honest, the tone comes from the amp. The tone difference you notice has more to do with the amp than anything. If you want to be able to correctly compare the individual tones of different guitars, they need to be played trough the exact same amp using the exact same settings, otherwise it just isn't a fair comparison.

Hell, this way isn't exactly fair either since I (dunno about other people, they prob do too) change the EQ of my amp depending on the guitar I use.

My point I'm trying to make is, screw the tone from a guitar since tone mostly comes from the amp (the guitar matters too, but is a less deciding factor).

Just pay attention to how the guitar feels in your hands, and if it has the features you want. (Floyd rose or fixed bridge? Humbuckers or single coils? Stuff like that )

Even if the pickups aren't the exact same pickups you want (but still the same kind, if you get what i mean, humbuckers or single coils) you can always switch them out at a later date
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
nice cover^^

youtube videos dont prove anything..the one who knows how to record will obviously have a better tone.
Quote by Metronome
The more and more I listen to the SL 2H and the 1570 I'm going moving closer to the SL2H. However I can't really afford the $2000 price tag. Will I able to get the same tone with the DK2M as this youtube guitar artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRHI4dqWYLg&feature=related

Not having a decent selection in town really sucks.

i dunno man, getting a tone as bad as that might take some effort
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah that one's fairly good
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I liked it =/ I like harsh noises though.

Scrap the ibanez with the emgs. Looking at the DKMG if I go with actives I can get one for 1000 with taxes.

I LOVE the sound of the emgs for music like Hammer fall. However I can barely find any covers for video game music. Barely meaning I found one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqJ9cpBuG60 (Ice man I think, I'm just starting to get into this stuff leave me alone >_>

Oh any videos I post are not me. I'll never show my face on any internet video.
Ya I scraped the ibanez and now looking at the DKMG. What do you guys think about the emgs and video game covers and j-pop. Can anyone find any j pop played with emgs, I sure can't.
Page 1 of 2