This seems really stressful to do for a full length concert but how do they survive it, even i cant stand doing this practicing songs much more perform like this
Whoever said the telecasters were only made for country deserves a banjo slapping.
Rick_Diculous wrote:

A band's greatness is measured on Rock Band sales
Hand syncing?

But seriously, most of those bands who actually play below their knees are playing very simple chord patterns (see crabcore), and/or they've just gotten used to doing it over the years. Most players tend to find it extremely debilitating to play much below the waist though, hence all the really technically oriented players tend to play higher.
Because they play shitty shit and can afford to play shittily.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
but what about KISS they do that sometimes
Whoever said the telecasters were only made for country deserves a banjo slapping.
Rick_Diculous wrote:

dudes like paul gilbert, steve vai can still be cool while playing it high, and btw i think in the present time tom morello is the guy who ive seen with the highest guitar above the weist
Rick_Diculous wrote:

Quote by Kanthras
Because they play shitty shit and can afford to play shittily.

very clearly stated lol
Rick_Diculous wrote:

Quote by ronkun
but what about KISS they do that sometimes

KISS are far from technical. Doesn't mean they're bad, but most of the songs are very, very simple. Also, I've never seen Ace, Paul or Tommy play that low. I'm 90% sure the other guitarists played quite high also. Gene plays pretty low sometimes, but he's quite a big guy, and he's been playing for over 30 years now, so he's used to it. Actually slinging the guitar below the knees is usually something only hardcore and metal bands do, and even then it's rare.
Quote by ronkun
very clearly stated lol

I should clarify that with "shitty" I mean shitty technique wise, not necessarily shitty musically.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Rob from metallica , he plays with his bass around the knee's , he opens his legs to give me support to his left hand.
Quote by wtf290
When I saw the title I immediately assumed it was another person coming to the Pit for medical advice - and then I pictured someone bleeding from the eye and typing like the wind. "RESPOND, DAMMIT! I THINK I'M LOSING CONSCIOUSNESS!"
Simple answer: they can afford a very good osteopath.
Quote by demonofthenight
If I went to a jazz club and played a Parker solo note for note I'd have my fingers cut off by a stoned, big guy named Koo' Cat.
As Bobofthedead says.... Prolonged playing with your left wrist severely bent will eventually cause problems... Carpal tunnel is very common.
It's also why you see a lot of folks playing like this using their thumb to make "barre" chords.
Quote by Bikewer
As Bobofthedead says.... Prolonged playing with your left wrist severely bent will eventually cause problems... Carpal tunnel is very common.
It's also why you see a lot of folks playing like this using their thumb to make "barre" chords.

Actually you see people using their thumb to make chords because it frees up other fingers for doing other things.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The only bands I've ever seen that do that were the really simple nu-metal bands whose songs consist of 3 or 4 single finger power chords. Doesn't mean they're bad. It's just pretty easy to play that kind of stuff regardless or your guitar's position.

Edit: See Kanthras's posts
Practice and experience

I have mine "low", not stupidly low, but I hate playing with it so high, it feels unnatural to me.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
Lol i went to this concert and saw some bands playing guitar all fancy. They were playing very shitty, i was standing front row and was laughing at them. Very poor knowledge they had
They do it for style.

Jimmy Page plays with it really low, but he's also super lanky. I myself am pretty lanky, but what I've found is that playing low messes up my left hand's wrist position and makes it a lot harder to play, plus my right shoulder tenses up because my arm is not being supported by the guitar as much (I'm not talking about anchoring.. I'm talking about where your forearm rests on the guitar, right below the elbow joint in my case.)
Quote by Kanthras
I should clarify that with "shitty" I mean shitty technique wise, not necessarily shitty musically.

Bob Mould is a damn good guitarist, at least from Zen Arcade on and he's plays with his guitar pretty low. To be fair though most people who play low aren't exactly technical masters.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
You can wear the guitar low and then get the rest of your body contorted so that the hand working the guitar still has decent access.

There's also the old "lift the guitar for tricky bits" trick - look at Slash's vertical guitar or Petrucci's "one foot on monitor" pose. (even now DT have in ear monitors he still does it - as he points out himself, I must add!)
Quote by Freepower
You can wear the guitar low and then get the rest of your body contorted so that the hand working the guitar still has decent access.

There's also the old "lift the guitar for tricky bits" trick - look at Slash's vertical guitar or Petrucci's "one foot on monitor" pose. (even now DT have in ear monitors he still does it - as he points out himself, I must add!)

I must say this helps tremendously, without looking like a jazz player haha. Although, he does wear it pretty high already...

Anyways, I always play high, and I guess never bother looking cool. I say I would never sacrifice technique, In reality, I just have to practice standing more
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by Ali-b912
Hand syncing?

But seriously, most of those bands who actually play below their knees are playing very simple chord patterns (see crabcore), and/or they've just gotten used to doing it over the years. Most players tend to find it extremely debilitating to play much below the waist though, hence all the really technically oriented players tend to play higher.

this. the only person i can think of who doesnt is slash. but he usually tilts the guitar up on his leg whenplaying more complicated stuff.
Quote by Freepower

'trooch's "foot on the monitor" moments aren't to help with playing though, it's a pure image thing. There are any number of vids out there (old and new) where he doesn't use the "monitors" during solos and complex passages http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5VwPfyEq3w

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
There are any number of vids out there (old and new) where he doesn't use the "monitors" during solos and complex passages http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5VwPfyEq3w

But he's Petrucci. Petrucci's rules don't apply to mortals

Either way, it helps me play better AND look cool!
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

i actually think people that play with their guitar high up look alot cooler than people with their guitar low. because people who have their guitar high usually have it high because thats how its most comfortable. people who have their guitars low are usually doing it to look "cool".
'trooch's "foot on the monitor" moments aren't to help with playing though, it's a pure image thing.

He's said it's a playing thing, although I cannot find a link presently.

Maybe he was just joking around.
they do it just to be "cool" ya know?most of these people play metal and its subgenres,not like technical deathmetal which is really difficult,but like nu metal and stuff..

I find it comfortable to hang it just above the waist,like vai and satch do
Quote by Freepower
He's said it's a playing thing, although I cannot find a link presently.

Maybe he was just joking around.

Weird because like I said, there are plenty of vids hanging around of him shredding it up like he usually does without having his foot on anything

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
avenged ******fold plays like that. somehow they can do sweeps and shred, even though its very basic arpeggios and stolen riffs.