'Sup UG?

I've been wanting to buy an explorer for some time now and have been limited to a 350 euro's price range, meaning the (ebony) korina explorer with gold hardware is just in my range and the goth explorer (300 euro's) is an option. Both are epiphone.

Are there any hardware differences? And what wood is better for what purpose? I've been banging the wall and flipping coins for a week now.

UG Help me! =D
get the korina one.

the goth just looks stupid with its all black hardware and the like.

ZEDIT: get the natural korina one.
GEAR:
Fender Classic Player Jaguar Special HH
Ibanez RGA-32
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pod Studio GX + Pod Farm
Last edited by Zead2 at Jun 20, 2010,
The korina one isn't as tacky as the gothic explorer. it looks a lot more sexy too. and as zead said, get it in a natural finish, its a lot more pretty.

+ i've played one and they are pretty nice to play. you should widen your range though a bit, there is other metal/rock guitars out there for a good spec/price, e.g schecter omen extreme.
Actually the ebony colored one isn't made of korina. Its Mahogany. but anyways, dont get the goth, the others are a big step up, and they look alot better.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
Actually the ebony colored one isn't made of korina. Its Mahogany. but anyways, dont get the goth, the others are a big step up, and they look alot better.

Are you sure that the ´58 Ebony Explorer isn't made of Korina? Everywhere you look it always says that it's made of korina.
What are the sound differences between Korina and Mahogany?
Noob on most guitar-oriented stuff.

ESP LTD EX-400
Epiphone Les Paul Goth
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Peavey Bandit 112
Line 6 Spider III 15w
Digitech RP500
I see there is a lot of unity regarding the korina model, (I was talking about the '58 re-issue), and there's only one saying goth then again, Lespauljames isn't very clear as to why, personal opinion I guess. ^.^

I'm probably going to buy the korina one, as someone said before me, all the black is.. I don't know to me it's kinda dull. I love the gold hardware, as it high-lights the otherwise black-white guitar. Problem however is that the hardware will fade, (so will everything over time), and that the speed of it fading is not to me liking. How quickly will it fade? Does anybody have an experience regarding this?

Some people complain about the pick-ups too, and most of the time I see it on youtube they've be replace by EMG (81+85) pick-ups. I do like to play heavier stuff, like metal-core and general heavy metal (or rock and roll as AC/DC says their genre is) but then again I'd also like being able to play clean songs like californication and under the bridge. Is this a real problem?

(I have the feeling I'm being too nit-pick..ery, at this point. xDD)

My Gear: Boss GT-8, Behringer V-Tone Amp ( )[="> To be replaced by Fender Frontman 212R"]

Thanks for the quick responses btw, I know that signing up was a great idea now.

Edit: The Goth does look sexy though, now that I saw the pictures, especially with EMG Pick-ups. xD
Last edited by J-Helios at Jun 20, 2010,
well, goth x-plorer's finish is very, very fragile. any small bumps chip the paint and body easily. and the shape is a magnet for such accidents. Korina may be more durable in that area.
well the looks part is relative, I was 16 when I bought my goth x, now I'm 23 and I don't really feel childish having it around. the geet's goth look is quite understated if you ask me. just a satin black finish with a roman 12 at the fretboard.
Definitely the Korina.

I have played the goth one, and it was quite terrible.

Go for the Korina, like I said.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Korina and Mahogany have very similar grain structure and so is the sound. Some claim Korina has a more responsive Mid while Mahogany is warmer. The main difference is availability - Korina is less abundant and so manufacturers pay and pass on the extra cost.

Another vote for Korina Or limba I should say. A light weight wood with brighter tone then mahogany.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Lespauljames
tmf was the goth explorer even set up propelry or anything. my axe gets a lot of compliments for an epi. only thing i felt i had to do was spray the scratchplate flat, as the stock one looked ass

It was a floor model in Sam Ash, so that could have contributed to it.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.