OK...since it's summer and i have more time. I am making my practice routine a little different.
I usually practice all the things i have to practice in 4 hours.
Now im thinking about dividing everything i do into seperate sessions, all in 1 day or 2. And about an hour rest between each session.

so it would be:

- 1-2hours of alternate picking
- 1-2hours of legato
- 1-2hours of phrasing, improvisation
- 1-2hours Practicing songs, learning new ones
- 1-2hours of theory, chords, standard notation

Now normally id do all this in 4 or 5 hours
would this be more efficient?

thanks a bunch guys
I would also get into Don Henley for summer. Bryan Adams as well.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
You're being way too blinkered about this...think about it for a second.

"Alternate picking and legato practice" - the value of this really does depend on how you're approaching it. If you're running through a variety of exercises for 10 mins at a time it'll be useful. If you spend the whole time practicing the same pattern over and over again just to get it faster then it's worthless. Always remember why you're practicing - to get better at playing the guitar, not to get better at practicing. Keeping things varied and mixing it up is going to be of the most practical benefit to you because at the end of the day that's what happens when you play the guitar.

"Phrasing and improvisation" - okay, so you may be looking to improve what you create here, but at the same time this is still technical practice. Just because you're improvising doesn't mean you start playing like crap, you're still practicing your picking, legato and whatever else you use. It's also theory practice, arguably the most valuable kind because improvising is where actually use your theory knowledge.

"learning songs" learning a song is practice, arguably the most constructive practice you can do because you're practicing techniques in a practical context, learning not only how to use them but also how to transition between them. It's also theory practice, learning how the song is constructed and why it works.

Also you've not mentioned ear training at all, and arguably that's the most important thing - again though it shouldn't be a separate entity, you should always be using your ears...learning to identify notes, intervals and chords and ultimately learning to recognise where to find them on your guitar.

Just keep in mind that everything is interlinked on the guitar, you can't really "stop" practicing something to focus on something else, there's always several things going on at once and you need to be mindful of them all at all times.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com