Hey guys, first thread in a while.

I'm moving back to the States in the Fall from China (going to college, yay!), and I need some recommendations for good practice amp. I'll probably bring my current guitar over, or buy an EC-1000 there, but the voltage difference makes my current amp impractical for the States. I mainly play metal or hard rock, so what's a good amp to get for my dorm?

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot to put budget. I'm looking to spend around $200 bucks. I'm a student, so less is better. I don't need it to be too loud or quality that great, just good enough for me to practice.
Last edited by thirdykal at Jun 20, 2010,
You could just get an adapter to convert the voltage.

But if you want something new instead, tell us how much you're willing to spend.
I would probably say a Peavey Vypr or if you have more money, a 6505 112
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Sorry guys, I forgot to put my budget. I've edited the first post. But I'm looking to spend around $200, hopefully less. Even bringing over my amp is difficult. Also, at least when I used an adaptor on my US devices here in China, through an adaptor, the adaptor really heated up the room and was a lot less power efficient.
Peavey Vypyr (modeling amp, 200 dollars for the 30 watt combo)
Roland Cube 20 x (transistor, seen it for 160 dollars)
Laney Cub 10 (tube, seen for 200 dollars)

Those are 3 I'd be looking into, but your mileage may vary.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
sup dude, just a heads up, at my school they're real strict about amps because of the whole "noise" issue, which is bull considering there are screaming drunk girls in the hall every night...but i digress. i suggest anything with a headphone port, or even going DAW (i.e guitar rig which i highly recommend, and it comes with an interface so you can even record if you want. it runs at $199)
hope that helps.
-James
Equipment:
ESP LTD EC-1000
Agile 727 Interceptor Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Marshall 1960A Cab
Peavey 6505+
Rack stuff

Whoop Whoop. Holla.
Quote by Jigsaw62
sup dude, just a heads up, at my school they're real strict about amps because of the whole "noise" issue, which is bull considering there are screaming drunk girls in the hall every night...but i digress. i suggest anything with a headphone port, or even going DAW (i.e guitar rig which i highly recommend, and it comes with an interface so you can even record if you want. it runs at $199)
hope that helps.
-James

screaming drunk girls. so annoying. imiright?

j/k

honestly op a program like guitar rig or something along those lines would be better.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by PsiGuy60
Peavey Vypyr (modeling amp, 200 dollars for the 30 watt combo)
Roland Cube 20 x (transistor, seen it for 160 dollars)
Laney Cub 10 (tube, seen for 200 dollars)

Those are 3 I'd be looking into, but your mileage may vary.

This. Or going into dorms, maybe a Roland Microcube.
+1 for peavey vypyr 15
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 21, 2010,
Those Vox Amplug things are suprisingly awsome.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
+1 to the vox amplug. the Metal one has a very saturated gain, american styled. I think the lead one has almost as much gain and a big of delay/reverb.
Bugera V5?

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
roland micro cube. end of thread.

i played through a bugera v5. it is not even close to the bigger models. not even remotely. completely disappointed. the lack of controls really limits the sound imo. i wanted to tweak an eq and it didnt have one.

though a roland doesnt have a full eq, it has far more/effective settings. can get a million respectable sounding settings out of the thing considering its only got a 4.5 inch speaker. could easily cause a noise voilation in a dorm. thing packs a punch for a tiny thing.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jun 21, 2010,