Hi

First of all, i apologise in advance for not having an actual pic, but i can't seem to find my camera! Real pics may follow soon but i can't promise anything.

So here's a pic from the net of an amp that looks similar to the one i just bought, to give you an idea, although mine is a red cabinet.. can't find a red combo pic on the net:

it's a marshall 5005 "lead 12", made between 1988 and 1991 (they did make earlier versions, but earlier ones didn't have both the direct output and headphone output).

Quick review from what i gather so far:

This amp is actually surprisingly good! I spotted it in a local shop while i was looking for a small practice amp i could take with me to university, and i was expecting it to be no better than the MG series. I wasn't immediately impressed - the cleans were passable, a little on the brittle side, but then i turned up the gain a bit and thought "pah, that's not overdrive, that's just fizz". But the more i turned the gain up, the better it got - once the gain is turned up to about 8 it starts to sound utterly fantastic - very raw and edgy but very pleasing on the ears too - and that's the kind of tone I like to hear. It's just a good, honest amplifier, nothing more and nothing less - an amp from back in the day where people wanted quality over quantity - with just a single channel, no effects at all, just hi and low sensitivity inputs, 5 knobs, a DI output jack and a headphone jack, and a 10 inch celestion G10 speaker. It made the MG4 series seem very processed and lame in comparison.

If you want to hear a 5005 in action listen to this - obviously, this is not my clip, because i'm not billy gibbons, unfortunately

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFJ1Dr0knMg

Now for the questions:

Am i at any risk of doing damage to any of my amps by experimenting with direct outputs and FX returns? Line level signals basically. Something i want to try is running the direct out from this amp into the FX return of my laney VC30 to see if i can get the 5005's overdriven tone at gigging volumes.

Also, perhaps few people have tried this so won't know if it actually works, but another thing i want to try is using an A/B box with channel A going into the 5005, and channel B going into the VC30 input, but with the 5005 direct-injected into the VC30's FX return - it might work as a "preamp-selector" since my VC30's FX loop is parallel - would there be any problems with this or potentially dangerous results?

I'm no expert on the inner workings of amplifiers or anything like that although my knowledge of signal flow says there's no reason why these things shouldn't work - but signal flow isn't the only factor to take into account when talking about amps, and it gives me no indication as to whether things would burst into flames, explode, give me a fatal electric shock, or just stop working.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Congrats I have a Lead 12 Head and 2 matching 1x10 cabs they are great little solid state amp

yeah i've heard about the micro-stack version. I think kurt cobain had one as a stage prop during Nirvana's "in utero" tour, to make a stand against all these bands with walls of decorative marshall 4x12s.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

HNAD! Looks awesome, especially when compared to MGs.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
can't answer your questions but HNAD

well i checked the laney site and that answered my first question. So i tested it. I'm very pleased with the sound of this amp through the VC30 FX return.

It adds a lot more "balls" to the sound and it makes it much more open sounding and less boxy - it also rounds off the fizzy overtones nicely too. Definitely a nice, usable sound. I would imagine if the power amp is pushed to maximum headroom it'd be an incredibly good sound - perhaps even better than the VC30 on its own. The only downside is there is a bit of added hum, but nothing dramatic.

edit: uploaded clip that i recorded while i was testing it with the tube power amp. should be the top of my list of mp3s on my profile. It wasn't very loud even though it sure did sound loud in the room.. so you can hear the acoustic sound of the guitar underneath it a bit... also my crappy headset mic doesn't really do it justice.

Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 20, 2010,
Hnad!!!
Guitars
Fender USA Strat
Tele c/w Bare Knucks
Amps
Dr Z Remedy
Orange Dual Terror
Epiphone VJ
Orange 1X12 Cab
Pedals
Loads!!
i think i'm going to test this amp into the VC30 power amp at band practice volumes tonight to see how it sounds. At lower volume, i definitely preferred the sound of the marshall into the VC30 over the sound of the VC30 on its own. If this setup happens to be gig-worthy i'm definitely gonna use it for gigs.

i'll probably end up using it as a "secret weapon" type thing. I like to test the way other guitarists perceive "tone" and how visual or technical things can influence it. It's something that interests me for some reason

nice!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Band practice went very well and the amp sounded utterly fantastic when cranked through the VC30 power section, definitely gig worthy. with the eq set around 6/5/6 you get a sound which is scooped enough to not get in the way of vocals but still has enough 'body' to fill out the sound. It sits in exactly the right place in the mix for me, and is probably becoming a permanent part of my live setup.

The transistors are attacking my tone, they say "all ur tonez are belong to us". And they are winning the battle

Dude that clip sounds pretty awesome! Nice bluesy crunch. Love it!

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Quote by lkngro
Dude that clip sounds pretty awesome! Nice bluesy crunch. Love it!

yep that's through the laney VC30s 4x EL84 power amp and the 12" celestion seventy 80 speaker - oddly the marshall actually has a better quality speaker, but the marshall's solid state power amp is quite dry sounding and the small cabinet makes the sound come out very boxy and doesn't project too well (it is meant to be a practice amp after all!) - I tried it at a "gig volume" band practice set up like this and the sound just got better and better the more i turned it up - the nature of the valve power section. It's a great "poor mans JCM800" setup