A friend of mine was playing my 76 Gibson Explorer re-issue, and I noticed that he was gently bending the neck for vibrato by pushing upward on the back of the headstock.

Could this technique have caused any permanent damage to my guitar? If so, what would I notice? The guitar seems fine; no warp or bends in neck.
I think Slash used to do it (maybe still does) i guess its fine if you have infinite guitars but otherwise i wouldn't risk the damage
Permanent damage? Probably not. Is it something I'd do everytime I played? Probably not.
you'd think it'd warp the neck it over time, haven't tried it myself, dunno. Cool effect though
i've done it on my strat many times. nothing wrong with it. but i dont do it often. and NEVER on regular practicing. only back when i used to do gigs with it regularly, and one song called for it. still though, i wouldn't take the risk on any expensive guitar.
You'd notice if it damaged it but seriously, I wouldn't let someone else do that to one of my guitars.

Slash did it with one of his and it snapped the neck, and it hit him in the face. Hard.
Quote by KG6_Steven
I'd be afraid of loosening the neck joint, whether it's a set neck or bolt-on.

Everything looks fine at the neck/body interface. Other than that, is there anything else I need to check?
I'd personally be afraid of snapping the headstock off.
I recall Slash did that once and cut his arm (or face, either of the two) open.

So yeah, dangerous technique.
I'd also watch out for permanently bending the neck. You'd notice the action getting gradually higher in that case.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
It shouldn't have caused any permanent damage, as people have said, but NOBODY does that with one of my guitars and gets away with it...
Quote by PsiGuy60
I'd personally be afraid of snapping the headstock off.
I recall Slash did that once and cut his arm (or face, either of the two) open.

So yeah, dangerous technique.
I'd also watch out for permanently bending the neck. You'd notice the action getting gradually higher in that case.

He snapped the neck right off his 87 Standard and it smacked him in the face. He got cut up pretty good.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
It shouldn't have caused any permanent damage, as people have said, but NOBODY does that with one of my guitars and gets away with it...

He did not bend it to the point where there was a deep pitch in the strings.
You would notice if it had done some damage. But dont ever let him do that again, its stupid.