Well I could recommend a few songs to get you started. I'm not great, but I can do it well enough. I'd say that two good songs to learn for a beginner are 'Time of Your Life'-Green Day and the intro for 'Dust in the Wind'. I don't really know any other way to learn fingerstyle guitar other than just learning songs, and fingerpicking exercises. I'm sure if you did an internet search, you could find some fingerpicking exercises to help you practice.
Quote by randomkidmike
Well I could recommend a few songs to get you started. I'm not great, but I can do it well enough. I'd say that two good songs to learn for a beginner are 'Time of Your Life'-Green Day and the intro for 'Dust in the Wind'. I don't really know any other way to learn fingerstyle guitar other than just learning songs, and fingerpicking exercises. I'm sure if you did an internet search, you could find some fingerpicking exercises to help you practice.

I'll second that. Those songs helped my fanger picken' a lot.
Do some research.. Or buy a book.... There are many ways to play fingerstyle, or "fingerpick".

Back when I started, the standard for all us folkies was "Travis Picking". This had nothing to do with Merle Travis, but was instead playing patterns. Proper name is "pattern picking."
This works very well on all sorts of songs.
You can use thumb and two fingers, thumb and three, or even just one finger.

Many highly advanced jazz players use fingerstyle techniques, often derived from classical guitar technique. That's a whole different ball game.
Here's a website devoted to fingerstyle:

http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/
for those who were polite, rather than childish, thank you for your advice.