Right Pit,

So I'm taking my grade 8 exam tomorrow, and I'm fairly happy with all 3 pieces that I'm playing, and I'm pretty sure I've got the technical exercises down too. As for the quick study piece and melodic/rhythm recall pieces, well I have no clue how that will go.

Anyway, has anyone else done this exam? Is there anything in particular I should know about that I might not expect? Can you wish me luck?

It's with Rockschool, by the way.
I hereby wish you luck.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

I'm doing a Grade 7 on Wednesday.. not with rockschool or on guitar though. Good luck to you.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Rockschool disappoint me, I'd expect the pieces to be a bit more technical for Grade 8.

Good luck anyways.

Yeah, they're really not that hard. And they're terrible songs.

Thanks to everyone who wished me luck.

^Good luck to you too.
relax, practise and good luck is all i can say anyway grade 8 is the highest grade you can be so i wouldnt worry.

its 65% for a pass so its not hard
sorry for off topic but what is this "grade"?
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
sorry for off topic but what is this "grade"?

They're standardised music tests you get in the UK, 1 being the easiest and 8 being the hardest. There are tests on all different instruments, but depending on the style of music there are different companies who run them.

Also, passing the exam gets you UCAS points, which is what you use to apply to most universities.
When I read this title, I thought you meant Grade 8 of high school!

In Australia we have a similar thing called AMEB, where Grade 8 is the highest standard level. I did this playing saxophone when I was younger... a hell of a lot of practice, and all I got was a piece of paper... good times. Yay for classical training!

I couldn't even imagine playing Grade 8 guitar... I have horrible technique.

Good luck!
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
oh,thanks
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
I'm doing grade 5 soon, after that, I'm skipping straight to 8. It's seriously easy.

Good luck man!
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Just remember,

1, 2, 1! 2! 3! 4!

That's all you need with rockschool.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
I would practice my cock push-ups, those are a pretty big part of the exam.
So, what does it really take to pass a 'grade 8' exam? I'm from Finland so I have no idea how it's like over there In Finland there are no rock schools really, only classical or pop/jazz. For rock you pretty much need to get a private teacher if you want some kind of teaching.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I just Google "Elephant penis", and was strangely aroused.

Apparently, I'm a good shitter

Quote by TomusAM
jonne.i just took the best dump I ever seen
Quote by jonne.i
So, what does it really take to pass a 'grade 8' exam? I'm from Finland so I have no idea how it's like over there In Finland there are no rock schools really, only classical or pop/jazz. For rock you pretty much need to get a private teacher if you want some kind of teaching.

Haha, it's not like a rock school where you actually go to a school for rock music... Rockschool is just the name of the company, you still have to do it on your own/with a tutor. And it's not just rock music really, for Rockschool grade 8 there's a metal piece, a rock piece, and the other 4 are either jazz or funk.

Anyway, the exam... you choose either 2 or 3 pieces from the book, and if you choose 2 from the book you do a free choice piece. Then you have to do technical exercises, where you get asked to play a few modal scales and one of three different arpeggios, and you have to prepare them in a range of keys. There's a sweep picking exercise, which is nothing too hard, just 5 string sweeps with the highest note being tapped. Then there's a melodic recall test where you have to transcribe a melody by ear, but they tell you the scale and key, and you have to transcribe a chord progression where they tell you the tonic chord. There's also a sight reading piece, but it's tab and standard notation, not just standard notation.