Hey everybody at UG,

So I have been playing guitar for about 7 years and I am REALLY REALLY in need of a new amp. Since I just play for fun and not in front of people, I have a super shitty guitar research amplifier. It has gotten me through the past 7 years now, but I absolutely hate it because even if I play my music well, the amplifier makes it sound incredibly bad.

So, I am wanting to go and buy a new amp, but honestly I am really clueless on what I should be looking for, could you guys help me out? Here are certain things that I am looking for in an amp...

- I would like to get a decent size amp so that I can play by myself no problem, but if I wanted to start up a band I would still be able to crank it up and play with all of them (I'm guessing a combo amp?) . You guys have any idea on what size?

- I think I would prefer a tube amp. The other crappy fender amp that I have is a really small solid state amplifier, and if you turn the volume up past 2 the amp buzzes horribly with the bass notes. Are all solid state amps like this? If so, I DEFINITELY want a tube amp. I really like the warm sound of tube amps as well.

- I am uncertain if I need any built-in effects because I have a ZOOM GFX-5 effects processor. Although if there are any sweet amps out there that have really awesome effects built in, I would not be opposed to checking them out

- I would prefer that this amp be brand new. I know that you can get really sweet deals if you look around and buy used amps, but honestly I just never am really comfortable making a large purchase on something that is used. Also, I think its a hassle searching around and waiting for a really good deal, I have waited long enough, I just want a new amp damnit!!

- I would like to spend at maximum probably 700-800 dollars on it.

So that is what I am looking for in an amp, do you guys have any suggestions on what I should check out? Thanks for any advice!

PS. I guess its kind of important to know what kind of music I play too. Honestly I really play any type of music, as long as it sounds good I will play it. I really enjoy John Mayer and his sound, SRV, RHCP, Kings of Leon, good sounding classic rock, etc. The one genre that I do not like is thrash/metal. I do like metallica, but anything harder than that really just doesn't tickle my fancy.

Popnfrsh24 (Joey)
A fender blues jr, Vox VC or AC, Laney or maybe a peavey classic 30 could be good for you =)

if they are not enoguh for you then they all have stronger big brothers ^^
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Last edited by backtothe70s at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by Popnfrsh24
combo amp...decent size amp...Crank it up and play with a band...I really like the warm sound of tube amps as well...really awesome effects built in...brand new...maximum probably 700-800 dollars on it...SRV, RCHP, Kings of Leon, good sounding classic rock

You basically described a Fender Deluxe. It's a 40w Tube Amp with built-in Spring Reverb. Check it out here
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
traynor ycv40 (more fendery) or 50 (allegedly more marshally, i've only tried the 40)?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Check out these...

Epiphone Blues Custom 30
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Bugera V22 or V55
VOX AC15 or used AC30

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees