Page 1 of 2
So, after some time raising money and searching for a new amp I've decided to buy a Fame amp in a blind leap of faith.

It's tube.

It's 40w.

I love it.

Some pictures:

and the happy family

Specs:

40w tube amp with 2 ECC83 and 2 6l6, 2 inputs (HI, LO), 1 volume, one tone, 1 triode/pentode switch (20w/40w), 1 stand-by switch, 1 on/off switch and a 12" Celestion speaker.

Review:

Volume/Gain: I find that this amp fulfill my needs, I wanted a clean loud tube amp and that's what I got. This amp is clean, no matter if it's in Hi or LO, triode or pentode, volume on 1 or 10 it's still clean. Only a light grit in triode maxing the volume, with humbucker. Maxing the volume in pentode mode makes every object in the room shake, including the walls. Loudness is very easy to control, no jumps in the volume. I mainly play in HI, pentode with volume on 2.

Tone/Sound: It has a ton of low end which I like and the tone control is very much like a tone control on a guitar so I put it in 8 or 9 and leave the rest to control in the guitar. It is sometimes harsh sounding when I strum to hard because it doesn´t breakup at all. HI and LO inputs aren't much different, a fuller sound in HI and an almost acoustic sound in LO. There are 2 major diferences in pentode and triode: volume and high end. Triode has volume and high end loss.
It's beats the crap out of my old gear (Roland cube 15 and vox tonelab st) tonewise, sounds just like RHCP - Wet Sand. The main reason for me to buy it was to get RCHP/Frusciante sound and it does the job greatly! It takes pedals like a dream, so far I've tried a fuzz and a metal distortion (Artec 70's Drive Blender and MXR Fullbore Metal).

Other: It does a loud pop sound when switching modes. No buzz or noise, as I've seen reported in other foruns, it really is a very quiet amp. It's lighter than I expected, between 16 and 18 kg, I don't know the official weight.

Short version: Good clean, loud, RHCP like sounding tube amp. Not versitile at all to anyone that doesn't use pedals.

I bought it used for 250€.

I also bought a pedal, Artec 70's Drive Blender

It blends Fuzz and Distortion. Great for Nirvana, RHCP and some Jimi Hendrix.
Doesn't do overdrive, heavy distortion or pure fuzz.

Got it used for 35€.

I made a youtube video ---youtube---

Note: The amp sounds a lot better in person, in the video it may sound trebly but it's anything but trebly, has great low end which the audio quality doesn't show.

Thanks for reading and please comment
Ibanez Iceman MIK 2005
Orange Dual Terror
Vox v110nt cab

DIY BSIAB
Danelectro CC TOD-1

Sounds pretty nice, especially when you put the pedal on. HNgd
I bet if you swap the tubes and maybe the speaker it will be even better
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
looks great man HNGD!!!!
Guitars
Fender USA Strat
Tele c/w Bare Knucks
Amps
Dr Z Remedy
Orange Dual Terror
Epiphone VJ
Orange 1X12 Cab
Pedals
Loads!!
sounds good, i think you got abit ripped off with the pedal as new they're only about €41 atleast in ireland
^^^ thanks, the pedal was a really cheap surprise.

^^ thank you, and I hope someday I'll have a sig like yours, especially the Pedals - Loads! I'm now in a quest for other pedals, lots of them!

^ thanks. And well, nonetheless it's a great pedal and seemed a good price for its condition
Ibanez Iceman MIK 2005
Orange Dual Terror
Vox v110nt cab

DIY BSIAB
Danelectro CC TOD-1

man do i love pedals
Guitars
Fender USA Strat
Tele c/w Bare Knucks
Amps
Dr Z Remedy
Orange Dual Terror
Epiphone VJ
Orange 1X12 Cab
Pedals
Loads!!
1 volume 1 tone.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Hngd
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
^^ doesn't need more!

^thanks
Ibanez Iceman MIK 2005
Orange Dual Terror
Vox v110nt cab

DIY BSIAB
Danelectro CC TOD-1

Quote by mr_hankey
Any chance we might get some gutshots of the amp?

I don´t have the amp at my house right now, but I found this

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/926/im000209.jpg

Quote by SimplyBen
HNGD
The artec actually sounds very nice for such a cheap pedal.

Thanks! Yes it does, but it's not very versatile, you only get that sound, with more or less gain, more or less fuzz, but the original tone is still present. I found one setting that I like and never changed since
Ibanez Iceman MIK 2005
Orange Dual Terror
Vox v110nt cab

DIY BSIAB
Danelectro CC TOD-1

Pedal sounds quite nice for the price; Really thick in tone. I haven't heard of Fame amps before. Cleans sound quite nice.

HNGD

Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
^Fame are sort of the musicstore.de equivalent of Harley Benton IIRC
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
very nice review. If it stays clean the whole way up, I'm not sure if that's what I want (but it does sound very nice indeed in the clip).

how are those tonerider pickups?

very nice playing in the clip, too

Quote by mr_hankey
Any chance we might get some gutshots of the amp?

there are gutshots on the musicstore website (if you trust them, lol).

I also found a schematic, if you want it.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
^Fame are sort of the musicstore.de equivalent of Harley Benton IIRC

actually this amp is suposed to be hand made by Yerasov, under the name Fame

Quote by Dave_Mc
very nice review. If it stays clean the whole way up, I'm not sure if that's what I want (but it does sound very nice indeed in the clip).

Thanks! Yes, this amp does only clean and the tonerider are awesome, I prefer the single coils Pure Vintage to the Zebra humbucker, but I'm very happy with them all
Ibanez Iceman MIK 2005
Orange Dual Terror
Vox v110nt cab

DIY BSIAB
Danelectro CC TOD-1

i dont think you should switch triode/pentode when the amp is on.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Ahh just googled Yerasov and look's like you're right

EDIT: The more I research these, the more interested I become. Apparently the 15w version of this is a handwired 1:1 clone of the Pro . I wonder if the 40w is modelled after anything
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by ECistheBest
i dont think you should switch triode/pentode when the amp is on.

:O didn't know that, thanks I'll be more carefull from now on
Ibanez Iceman MIK 2005
Orange Dual Terror
Vox v110nt cab

DIY BSIAB
Danelectro CC TOD-1

yeah, i've been half thinking of trying a tonerider for my edwards. Never got round to it yet, but it's on my mind, lol.

and yeah, the 15 is supposedly (by that i mean people on the net are saying it is, and we know how accurate that can be ) a fender pro junior. Not sure what the 40 is, fender doesn't currently have a 40 watt amp with just a tone knob and triode/pentode. I don't think any of their "classic" models had that either (most had treble and bass, or treble mids and bass).

it might be a 40 watt version of the pro junior? As I said, I have the schematic, i found it on some french forum or something.

And yeah, while I would want a clean fender amp, i'd also like the ability to overdrive it too, kind of thing. For the price it's hard to complain, and maybe they think that's what its audience wants.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Yeah I really like the tone on a valve amp when it's on the edge of break up.
I suspect this would be pretty good for a Jack White sort of thing when a Big Muff is put in front of it though which interests me
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
yeah, same here. I like cleans a lot, but i also like a bit of valve breakup, even in a cleaner, more vintage amp. If you need or want a loud, clean amp, though, that price is going to be hard to beat, I'd have thought. And the cleans do sound very, very nice in those clips, plus it sounds like it takes pedals really well too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, same here. I like cleans a lot, but i also like a bit of valve breakup, even in a cleaner, more vintage amp. If you need or want a loud, clean amp, though, that price is going to be hard to beat, I'd have thought. And the cleans do sound very, very nice in those clips, plus it sounds like it takes pedals really well too.

Yes, I don't want to mislead anyone, this amp is super clean. When I have the chance I will make a video with volume on 10 in triode and let you draw the conclusions
Ibanez Iceman MIK 2005
Orange Dual Terror
Vox v110nt cab

DIY BSIAB
Danelectro CC TOD-1

that would be sweet, thanks.

fwiw, I think the 15 watt one breaks up more.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that would be sweet, thanks.

fwiw, I think the 15 watt one breaks up more.

but a gain knob would be nice in that amp.

I found a video of yerasov gta 15 in youtube --here--
Ibanez Iceman MIK 2005
Orange Dual Terror
Vox v110nt cab

DIY BSIAB
Danelectro CC TOD-1

Quote by Jay Nocta
Yes, I don't want to mislead anyone, this amp is super clean. When I have the chance I will make a video with volume on 10 in triode and let you draw the conclusions

I look forward to it, I'm interested to hear the amp when it finally does overdrive
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by Jay Nocta
but a gain knob would be nice in that amp.

I found a video of yerasov gta 15 in youtube --here--

i dunno. on the one hand a gain knob is handy, but on the other hand i also like non-master volume amps too. a defeatable master volume on a push-pull knob, maybe

Thanks for the vid, I've seen that one before (there's another one too), and it does seem to break up a bit when turned up. If it *is* a copy of the pro junior (big if), then it'll definitely break up, the pro junior i tried was breaking up by about 10-11 o'clock on the volume knob.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

there are gutshots on the musicstore website (if you trust them, lol).

I also found a schematic, if you want it.

Why even ask? Yes please!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
as promised here are some more pictures

and a video in triode mode with volume at 10 (max.)

--video--
Ibanez Iceman MIK 2005
Orange Dual Terror
Vox v110nt cab

DIY BSIAB
Danelectro CC TOD-1

neat wiring, nice looking components. it's rather nice! it also sounds rather raunchy and tasty.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
neat wiring, nice looking components. it's rather nice! it also sounds rather raunchy and tasty.

Thanks, but it was very loud to get it to overdrive, I could feel my lungs vibrating inside my chest!

I will record another clean demo with my pacifica as soon as I swap the 500k volume pot, that is making it sound trebly, for one with 250k.

This amp has very good cleans and it sounds better and fuller with my squier because of the 250k pot in it.

Also, the tubes in the amp have exactly one year and they are turning blue so I better change them.

Can anyone tell me good tubes to replace 2 electro harmonix 12ax7 and 2 russian power tubes with some russian letters, 6П3С think
Ibanez Iceman MIK 2005
Orange Dual Terror
Vox v110nt cab

DIY BSIAB
Danelectro CC TOD-1

i think they're just 6L6s, but don't quote me on that. EDIT: yeah if you click that link to the schematic i posted, the tube box at the bottom left says they're 6L6. try the tube thread for recommendations? there's some info in the first post about tubes, and also there are some tube reviews at the tube store.

and so it doesn't stay clean the whole way up, then? that sounds pretty nice, thanks for the clip EDIT: GAS returning
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by Dave_Mc

and so it doesn't stay clean the whole way up, then? that sounds pretty nice, thanks for the clip EDIT: GAS returning

haha only with the humbucker in the squier and at really not home friendly volumes!
Ibanez Iceman MIK 2005
Orange Dual Terror
Vox v110nt cab

DIY BSIAB
Danelectro CC TOD-1

oh so it stays clean all the way up with the pickups in the yamaha, even the humbucker? how hot is the humbucker in the squier?

and yeah i know that 40 watts (even 20 in triode) is going to be really loud, don't worry.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh so it stays clean all the way up with the pickups in the yamaha, even the humbucker? how hot is the humbucker in the squier?

Not clean, but cleaner with the tonerider alnico IV in the pacifica. The humbucker in the squier has a bit more output and came from the pacifica.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Great clip.

Happy New Gear Day

Thank you
Ibanez Iceman MIK 2005
Orange Dual Terror
Vox v110nt cab

DIY BSIAB
Danelectro CC TOD-1

oh ok, thanks. how much dirt do you get in pentode mode (if you've been able to crank it in pentode mode, lol)?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That clip sounds awesome, well done.

And
Quote by Dave_Mc
GAS returning
This
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh ok, thanks. how much dirt do you get in pentode mode (if you've been able to crank it in pentode mode, lol)?

the dirt in pentode mode is similar to triode, a bit less, but in a very unpleasant volume. I think that the speaker doesn't handle completely well that kind of pushing. Maybe with a 2x12 cab it would sound better, I don't really know since I've only cranked it once in pentode and scared the crap out my cat
Ibanez Iceman MIK 2005
Orange Dual Terror
Vox v110nt cab

DIY BSIAB
Danelectro CC TOD-1