well i have a vypyr 15 and i was wondering if the type of pickups or even the guitar i use have any effect on the tone or sound that i'd get and also i've heard that you can't use pedals with a modeling amp? is this true? i would like and explanation on why that wouldn't work if thats not a lot of trouble
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
The type of pickups and guitar will only affect your tone a little bit with your amp. You CAN use pedals with the amp, though things like distortion or overdrive will not work as well because they are meant to drive the tubes on tube amps harder to push the amp into a natural overdrive.
oh, what about pedals that use diode clipping would those work?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
You can perfectly well use pedals with a modeling amp. Pedals, aren't used for driving the tubes in your amp to natural distortion; the volume and amplification in pre-amp stages does that. A distortion pedal is used to provide controlled distortion in the linear regions of your amp (whether it be tubes or SS). The sound may still be different though, the distorted signal coming from the pedal may have harmonics further (or less) amplified depending on what kind of amp and equalizations settings are used.
alright, the way i was thinking was that with pedals the distortion or effect was created in the pedal and then sent to the amp so it would be like the guitars signal before but it has a different sound correct?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
yes, the pedal simply feeds an 'edited' version of the guitar signal to the amp. This allows a distorted sound to take place even when the amp is not at all overdriven or pushed to distortion. However the effect of distortion will be doubled (very very simplified statement) when the amp itself is also distorting the sound in overdrive.
right but if i set the amp to a clean sound and used a pedal wouldn't that give me a distorted sound of the clean sound?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
using a vypyr 15 no the pickups will not really affect your tone much at all.
you're better off using pedals, or even better off getting a better amp, preferably a tube amp.
well i'm strapped for cash mainly because i'm 14 but i was thinking about making a pedal just for the fun of it and to have a custom pedal.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
yes a distortion pedal on the clean channel of your amp will give you a (cleanly amplified) distorted signal.
Quote by NicolasDoms
yes a distortion pedal on the clean channel of your amp will give you a (cleanly amplified) distorted signal.

Personally, i don't like to use pedals in front of modelling amps. The on-board effects usually sound better.

IMHO, even using the JC channel on a Roland Cube 30X, for example, pedals don't sound nearly as good as they sound through the clean channel of a solid state Randall.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112