Hey guys.

I was thinking of putting a bareknuckle painkiller in the bridge of my strat as I can get one off my mate for a decent price. I play metal, mostly thrash, and some drop tune bands like karnivool, I'm aware that I'll need A HSS pickguard and the output on the painkiller is 500 however for the volume difference regarding the other pickups I'm happy to use a volume pedal to compensate for that.

Is there anything else I need to worry about? Like changing wiring components or anything else like that? I've never installed high output pickups before.
Also I'm running a 50watt JCM 900 Hi gain dual reverb (original/not reissue) 50watt combo with green back speakers.

Also, what are your opinions on the sound of that pickup?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender 89 MIJ Standard Strat
Fender 85 Telecaster 62RI (needs a neck)
Cort solid top Acoustic
Marshall JCM 900 Hi gain Dual Reverb
Last edited by JaMeTTo at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by JaMeTTo
Hey guys.

I was thinking of putting a bareknuckle painkiller in the bridge of my strat as I can get one off my mate for a decent price. I play metal, mostly thrash, and some drop tune bands like karnivool, I'm aware that I'll need A HSS pickguard and the output on the painkiller is 500 however for the volume difference regarding the other pickups I'm happy to use a volume pedal to compensate for that.

Is there anything else I need to worry about? Like changing wiring components or anything else like that? I've never installed high output pickups before.
Also I'm running a 50watt JCM 900 Hi gain dual reverb (original/not reissue) 50watt combo with green back speakers.

Also, what are your opinions on the sound of that pickup?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm planning to get a painkiller in my ibanez S 5470, I love those pickups:p They're very tight, very agressive, and got HUGE mids
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
Awesome. Yeah I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Would they sound good in a strat?
Cort solid top Acoustic
Quote by JaMeTTo

He's got some Ibanez RG's made of Basswood, but I would imagine it would sound close to a Strat made of Alder. I think basswood and alder are pretty close in terms of sound characteristics, but with more upper midrange.

If it's ash, I'm pretty sure thats a more dense wood. Your highs will be more defined.

So yeah, read about the pickup on the Bareknuckle website and apply it to the wood of you guitar to get a general idea.
Quote by JaMeTTo

Well, the painkiller is one of the brighter sounding BKPs, you could always email Tim (the guy who winds them) over on the BKP site and ask his advice He's a nice guy who replies to anyone.
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
The PK would be a bad choice in a strat. Definately to bright and high middy. Something like a holy diver or nailbomb would be a much better choice.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Last edited by yellowv at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by yellowv
The PK would be a bad choice in a strat. Definately to bright and high middy. Something like a holy diver or nailbomb would be a much better choice.

Exactly what I thought:p But depending on what you want, a warpig, miracle man or cold sweat might work well too
My gear:

Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
Quote by Gego
Exactly what I thought:p But depending on what you want, a warpig, miracle man or cold sweat might work well too

The cold sweat is even brighter than the PK. Miracle Man or warpig would work well, though.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Hmmmm I can get this painkiller for half the cost of any other bareknuckle.

Are we talking 2% brighter or so bright it's enough to constantly be on your mind?
I'm just trying to work out if it's worth spending the extra $80 or so on a nailbomb.
Cort solid top Acoustic
Quote by JaMeTTo
Hmmmm I can get this painkiller for half the cost of any other bareknuckle.

Are we talking 2% brighter or so bright it's enough to constantly be on your mind?
I'm just trying to work out if it's worth spending the extra $80 or so on a nailbomb.

Buy it and try it out. BKP's are easy to sell if you don't like it. Starts are naturally bright guitars, though and the the PK is a brighter pickup.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by AcousticMirror
if you have to...ummm wire the painkiller to a one meg pot .

How would that help?
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by yellowv
How would that help?

oh wait no you would need a 50k pot.
my bad. 1 meg pot for way dark pickups.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Thanks guys.

I'll give it a pass and get the nailbomb.

After I researched it more, I realised he's not really giving me a great deal as I can get a nail bomb for the same price if not cheaper and with one of those sexy covers!

Also I see they come calibrated in sets however I've seen a few calibrated ones selling by themselves (as in a single humbucker/not a set). Would these be better or worse than buying a non calibrated one?
Cort solid top Acoustic
Quote by JaMeTTo
Thanks guys.

I'll give it a pass and get the nailbomb.

After I researched it more, I realised he's not really giving me a great deal as I can get a nail bomb for the same price if not cheaper and with one of those sexy covers!

Also I see they come calibrated in sets however I've seen a few calibrated ones selling by themselves (as in a single humbucker/not a set). Would these be better or worse than buying a non calibrated one?

A calibrated set just means that the neck and bridge pickup are made to work well together. BKP calls all their pickup sets "calibrated" Any time you buy a set of the same two pickups they are called "calibrated". They don't actually do anything different to them. If you were to get a claibrated nailbomb set and a single nailbomb they will be the same. Well as much the same as a handmade pickup can be. I have seen some people mix neck and bridge BKP's, such as a Cold Sweat in the neck and a Nailbomb in the bridge. From experience with several sets I can tell you a set of the same two pickups is pretty much always the best combo. That is why they call them calibrated. I think some people get the wrong idea with BKP's and expect the neck pickups to be the same as their bridge counterparts. That is simply not true. For instance people see the Warpig and see a 22k beast and thing it would be awesome in the bridge, but way too much in the neck. While the Warpig neck pickup is one of the warmest, smoothing sounding neck pickups I have used.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Last edited by yellowv at Jun 30, 2010,
if tim made a hotter bridge i'd totally put my bridge warpig in the neck. but he doesn't. so I can't. cuz then I have nothing to put in the bridge.
Quote by AcousticMirror
if tim made a hotter bridge i'd totally put my bridge warpig in the neck. but he doesn't. so I can't. cuz then I have nothing to put in the bridge.

Ceramic Warpig Also Tim will overwind at your request
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by yellowv
Ceramic Warpig Also Tim will overwind at your request

lol. I know. I emailed tim a while ago about my warpigs. I have a a5 neck and a ceramic bridge. I asked him for something hotter and he said he wouldn't do it because it wouldn't sound good. My bridge is slightly hotter at 23k. Although, he is kinda right. I've tried one 26k pickup and I didn't end up liking it at all. Very compressed across all of the frequencies. I'm gonna grab a motorcity nuke soon. Rockmonkey said he was working on stuff as well. They'll break 30k eventually I'm sure. I'll just be sad until then.
Actually Kent Armstrong make a pickup for Patrick Huffshmid for Huffshmid guitars called the OTT666. It is 30K.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Why would anyone even want a pickup with such huge output? It's bound to sound like a lifeless wall of noise.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
BKP are a different story, I'm talking aobut pickups with.... 30k output.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
wut. warpigs are 22-23. the nailbomb is 16, the miracle man is 18. the c warpigs are almost 30. 30's not that far off. It's just about doing it right, not just winding the pickups until their hot enough.
Quote by AcousticMirror
wut. warpigs are 22-23. the nailbomb is 16, the miracle man is 18. the c warpigs are almost 30. 30's not that far off. It's just about doing it right, not just winding the pickups until their hot enough.

how hot is the PK?

and dude,dont you think 26 or 30 is too hot?
no. I run warpigs in my hollowbody. Their some of the best clean pickups I've ever heard. Dark and clear.

It just depends if it's done right. Tim's said himself that he doesn't think going over 23k is feasible yet but he doesn't use any neo magnets. Rockmonkey uses neo mags for a few pickups and gets over 26k

The pk is umm like almost 16k in the bridge with a ceramic magnet.
Quote by AcousticMirror
no. I run warpigs in my hollowbody. Their some of the best clean pickups I've ever heard. Dark and clear.

It just depends if it's done right. Tim's said himself that he doesn't think going over 23k is feasible yet but he doesn't use any neo magnets. Rockmonkey uses neo mags for a few pickups and gets over 26k

The pk is umm like almost 16k in the bridge with a ceramic magnet.

hey arent those(neo)the magnets responsible for the sustain issues on the ibanez s5470?I hear that they have incredible magnetic pull

causing notes to die unexpectedly
ya I already said that neo mags have to be done right. by hand. and scatterwound. not by a machine in japan or a factory assembly line.