How on earth does one fret this chord?

[i]let ring[/i]
e|---------
B|-------1-
G|-----2---
D|---2-----
A|---------
E|-4-------

I'm attempting this on an acoustic. I'm using my pinky on the 4, but I can't seem to keep all my other fingers down for the notes to ring out. It's maddening.

Any tips?

Edit: This is what I'm trying to play HOW DOES HE DO IT?!
I can't wait till my fro is full grown.
Last edited by FishStik at Jun 20, 2010,
hmm... toughy... could... uh... just use the thumb to hiit a harmonic on it, which would ring regardless of your hand touching it, leaving the other fingers free to finger the A minor frets... other than that, its damn hard to finger it al flawlessly i thinks... infact, im gonna try now
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
time to flex up that pinky, it seems! Tried it, and I'm just a little bit short from getting it, but it feels like with some practice it wouldn't be too hard.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Easy. Angle your wrist.

EDIT: Then again, I have the longest fingers of anyone I know. So maybe it's just me.

EDIT 2: Just tried it. It's definitely possible, but pretty painful to hold it. I found it easier to start the pinky over the third fret (not fretted, to prevent playing the wrong note) and quickly slide it into position at the fourth once all the other fingers are in place.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Jun 20, 2010,
wait... how cant u use your pinky... hard to get the hands comfy that way, but just stick at it
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
Well the 221 is your standard amin chord. Ignore the g# on the low E string for a while and focus and properly fretting the amin chord. Then slowly stretch your 4th finger out to the low E. It is quite a stretch for your pinky but it's doable. You might have to arc your fingers a bit more than usual.
Time for some stretching. It's not that hard once you can stretch your fingers out more.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Considering that you only need to reach out for the G# after you've already played the Amin it's fairly easy to do if you're not trying to hold it all down straight off. All it takes is angling your wrist and your finger so you're not barring/muting other strings.
Even in that video he's only just reaching the 4th fret and isn't tight behind the fretwire.
If that is difficult It is because your hand isn't positioned properly.

Get the palm of your left hand parralell to the fretboard.

And your thumb in line with your middle finger.
Quote by KingHenrik1967
wait... how cant u use your pinky... hard to get the hands comfy that way, but just stick at it

you can bar the notes on the second fret with your mid finger.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I've been practicing it for a while and I've played it cleanly once or twice. A big problem I'm having is the transition. This is the whole part:

let ring throughout
e|---------------------------------
B|-------1-------1-------1-------1-
G|-----2-------2-------2-------2---
D|---2-------2-------2-------1-----
A|-0-------------------------------
E|---------4-------3-------2-------

I play the first A minor chord perfectly, but when I angle my wrist to put my pinky down on the 4, the ring finger fretting the 2 on the G lifts up a little and I get that dreadful *clunk* sound for that string. It happens to my middle finger for the 2 on the D too, but it's not as bad.

Should I get bionic fingers that lock on to frets?
Last edited by FishStik at Jun 21, 2010,
You could also play it like this...it needs some stretching too but not as bad as x4x221x

let ring throughout
e|---------------------------------
B|-----------------------1-------1-
G|-------5-------5-----2-------2---
D|-----7-------7-----2-------1-----
A|---7-------7---------------------
E|-5-------4-------3-------2-------
Quote by almosthuman36
Learning sheet music will add to your knowledge of music theory, which will add to your knowledge of writing, which will make your songs sound better, which will make you more popular, which will increase your chances of getting laid.
Interesting...what fingers do you suppose I use for the 4775xx ?
You could use your chin...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.