What do you guys think is a fair price for a lightly used MIM Tele standard, everything on it is stock. I'm haggling on ebay right now with a guy..but I don't want to pay too much.
You didn't mention which currency you're on about or where you're from so it can vary.

I sold my Classic Player Baja Tele (MIM) for £300 on ebay, in good condition, where others were selling for around £400, 450, up to around £500 for new ones.
Quote by pete-c
You didn't mention which currency you're on about or where you're from so it can vary.

I sold my Classic Player Baja Tele (MIM) for £300 on ebay, in good condition, where others were selling for around £400, 450, up to around £500 for new ones.

It's USD. We're haggling between the $330-350 range right now. That doesn't include shipping though. It was made in 2004, from the pictures it looks great. I just don't want to pay too much.
You're getting a 500$ guitar for around 350$ with shipping I suppose, if it looks great, I'd say it's a good deal. Not an AMAZING deal but it's alright.
Are MIM's a pretty safe bet for good quality? Or are they hit or miss? Because it's not like I get to try this thing out.
Quote by tknick90
Are MIM's a pretty safe bet for good quality? Or are they hit or miss? Because it's not like I get to try this thing out.

The Telecaster I mentioned arrived with a few minor but quickly fixable flaws (pickup selector was loose and kept falling off, a screw in the tone control knob slipped off the pot and could be turned infinitely, couple other small things), looked at some reviews and nobody else seemed to get the problems I did, so I could've just got a dud. So if you're buying used, any such minor problems have probably been fixed or sorted out by then.

(edit: oh, i have a MiM Jazzmaster now, which arrived with no problems apart from needing a quick setup).

Otherwise, any problems should be listed in the item description, most likely. So you shouldn't really have anything to worry about, quality-wise. MiM = generally about 80-90% of the quality of MiA, from experience, so it's decent value too.
Last edited by pete-c at Jun 20, 2010,
From what I've tried around stores, MIM's are VERY hit and miss. I've only tried one Squier CVC and it was superior to most of the MIMs I've tried, except for Baja tele, which I've only tried one too, and from what I've gathered around the internetz, kinda has some black sheep of its own, but generally a much higher quality MIM than the rest.
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112VCX - Vintage white w/ red tort pickguard
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Vox DA5 Classic
Valencia C-60 Classical