Page 2 of 3
I was showing this album to a friend and he got a copy and quite liked it, but he said his only problem with it was that it doesn't have and sort of 'punch' to it, like when sections build up and then your expecting a big 'bam', but you don't get that, the song just continues in the same vein as before.
And to a degree I can see where he's coming from.

I still think its a great album, but in hindsight it could be better.
I loved Opus Eponymous, but it felt like more of a 'best of' collection as opposed to a structured album.
@ annihislater - To some extent I would agree too. But overall I enjoyed the album regardless. I'm thinking that their next album will be better then

@ fumb - I agree with this to some extent as well. But it is just their debut. And I did enjoy said collection of songs anyway
Philosophy > Life
Am I the only one who finds absolutely no merit in listening to Opus Eponymous?
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
^ I assume not
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by The Wildchild
Am I the only one who finds absolutely no merit in listening to Opus Eponymous?

No, there's loads of people that hate Ghost with the utmost of passion. In fact, on another forum I go to, a guy uploaded a photo of himself burning his rare vinyl copy of the 'Elizabeth' demo and urinating on the ashes. True story.
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
Last edited by Penisaur at Apr 4, 2011,
Quote by Penisaur
No, there's loads of people that hate Ghost with the utmost of passion. In fact, on another forum I go to, a guy uploaded a photo of himself burning his rare vinyl copy of the 'Elizabeth' demo, and proceeding to urinate on the ashes. True story.

Oh yeah, I saw that photo on the NWN Forum, haha.
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
Lol yeah that's probably where I saw it too.
Wow, some NWN folks are like, fucking stupid. There's this guy defending Teitanblood, saying that they have "atmosphere" and "emotion" and all that jizz

AHAHAHA, one claiming Teitanblood is overrated, pick up a guitar yourself and manage to come up with such a violent, disturbing Dance of the Underworld put to Music yourself, then we might be talking again, seriously. Futhermore, some of you guys should start to see Metal about the music in the first place again.

Guy's got a scrotum for a brain
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Quote by The Wildchild
Wow, some NWN folks are like, fucking stupid. There's this guy defending Teitanblood, saying that they have "atmosphere" and "emotion" and all that jizz

Guy's got a scrotum for a brain

You don't like Teitanblood? They're pretty good, not amazing or anything, but better than most of the Blasphemy worshippers.
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
I find that most of their supporters cannot look beyond their image, which is undeniably cool.

Like if Seven Chalices was from some obscure Paraguayan band and wasn't released on The Ajna Offensive I don't think it would attract any attention at all

Much, much less than the "black death metal magic" hoodoo they've got going on
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Last edited by The Wildchild at Apr 4, 2011,
Quote by The Wildchild
I find that most of their supporters cannot look beyond their image, which is undeniably cool.

Like if Seven Chalices was from some obscure Paraguayan band and wasn't released on The Ajna Offensive I don't think it would attract any attention at all

Much, much less than the "black death metal magic" hoodoo they've got going on

True, a lot of it is image, but I thought the whole Teitanblood bandwagon was gone already.
Quote by severed-metal

last.fm
Black Putrescence of Evil is great, but Seven Chalices bored me. Too try-hard to be 'ritualistic' or something. And yes, NWN is full of absolute spastics, save the odd poster, i.e. me and about 5 others. The bickering there is something fierce though! Jesus, old metallers going at each other like women fighting over the last wedding dress on sale.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Stranglehold
Black Putrescence of Evil is great, but Seven Chalices bored me. Too try-hard to be 'ritualistic' or something. And yes, NWN is full of absolute spastics, save the odd poster, i.e. me and about 5 others. The bickering there is something fierce though! Jesus, old metallers going at each other like women fighting over the last wedding dress on sale.

And lots of Europeans complaining about LP limitations
I almost traded Seven Chalices for some Dead Congregation stuff, I think maybe I should do that now
Quote by severed-metal

last.fm
Damn, Teitanblood is one of the few bands of that style that I like.
Last edited by Penisaur at Apr 4, 2011,
Ghos-I- ****in rules man, the sound is dark and super addictive lol I'm gona go see em in Chicago in Octobah lol DEATH KNELL
Necrobump

So, new album coming out. I pre-ordered so I just got Year Zero. Full album should be tomorrow.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
It's been streaming for a week. It's quite good. Songwriting, production, and performance are all steps up from the self-titled, imo. I've only listened to it once but I'll definitely be listening to it more, and I really like it (albeit slightly less ever since one of my bandmates pointed out that "Secular Haze" musically rips off King Diamond fairly obviously).
I like it less than the first album. I feel like they're trying a variety of sounds and approaches instead of the focused sound they had in the first album. The new one is still good but I'm having to adjust a little bit.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The second album is definitely messier in the songwriting department. Sound-wise it seems like they've grown and developed, but it didn't translate structurally - had they tightened it up the album would have sounded a lot better.

I don't think it deserves some of the harsh criticism that it got, particularly from those who liked the first album.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Had a listen to the second album. Never heard them before, and I have no idea what the hell I just listened to. Bunch of dudes in black metal outfits playing Blue Oyster Cult riffs with circus keyboards? So very lame. Not bad, just really, really, really lame. It's like they couldn't quite decide on a joke to stick to, so they just half-arsed all of it.

Also, no breakdowns, so... you know. Failure from the word go.
Honestly Ghost just annoys me at this point. I wont listen to the second album. The first is woefully unoriginal, but has some catchy moments. This sounds not promising at all...

And I'm also just really tired of all their publicity stunts. That's literally the point of almost everything they do it seems - the point was always to become a cult, popular band, not to actually write great music or anything.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
I think what annoys me most is actually the production on the new album. I could hear myself actually enjoying this, but it has zero punch. No energy, no life, no soul (although that's probs appropriate ololol). Just "happens". Clean production with absolutely no power to it. Weird.
Quote by Magero
I think what annoys me most is actually the production on the new album. I could hear myself actually enjoying this, but it has zero punch. No energy, no life, no soul (although that's probs appropriate ololol). Just "happens". Clean production with absolutely no power to it. Weird.

I could agree with that. I'm enjoying it a lot but it's very flat. The vocals aren't as good in a lot of areas. I'm hoping a middle point is reached next album.

I enjoy how theatrical Ghost is. It's all very silly and I enjoy that when so many Metal bands have a very serious persona. I enjoy some people in cultist robes with cheesy music videos.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Seeing people in robes on stage, who take themselves seriously, are some of the best metal musicians on the planet. There is dedication behind their shrouded figures, one that Ghost mock because they lack content.
STAY AWAY WHITE MAGICIAN, YOUNG LOVERS, AND RETRO BANDS
YOU'RE NOT WELCOME ON OUR LAND
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Quote by Magero

Tbh, I actually enjoyed the production on the new one more than their debut. A lot of it has to do with the guitar tone, which I thought was vary weak and lacking in depth on the debut and is vastly improved upon here, even though nothing particularly interesting is going on with the production overall. I'd still give the album like an 8/10 or so.
Infestissumam is slightly better then Opus Eponymous to me at the moment although I love both. Repeat listens to their new album is just great.

Quote by Magero

Also, no breakdowns, so... you know. Failure from the word go.

...not sure if serious.
Last edited by thicketband at Apr 30, 2013,
Quote by thicketband
...not sure if serious.

Breakdowns are pretty standard these days. Sorry, man, that's just a real deal breaker.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Burning_Angel
Honestly Ghost just annoys me at this point. I wont listen to the second album. The first is woefully unoriginal, but has some catchy moments. This sounds not promising at all...

And I'm also just really tired of all their publicity stunts. That's literally the point of almost everything they do it seems - the point was always to become a cult, popular band, not to actually write great music or anything.

Summed it up nicely for me. I listened to one of their songs and saw how every article about them involves some new stunt they've pulled. Their whole goal seems to be mocking Black Metal and playing music that belongs on a carnival ride.
Quote by Magero
It's annoying when we have to spell out the joke, isn't it?

I just wanted to belong Q_Q

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I love carnival-like music

Anyway, I saw Ghost earlier this year at Australia's Soundwave Music Festival.
It was extremely weird to see them on a metal stage and unfortunately they were booed throughout their whole show. Probably 'cause of the outfits and the way the vocalist talked to the crowd. Still, I loved listening to it myself, the songs do lack those 'breakdowns' or at least a Rise and Fall of some sort.

I think maybe if they get more serious they could have something really good, I see potential.
I'd still rather listen to Orchid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA_Q8ci7bag

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at May 2, 2013,