Hi UG - this is my first post here and I need some advice! Recently, while looking over the classified ads in my area, I found two interesting guitar ads that I'm completely torn over.

1) 2010 Ibanez Jem7v-WH, barely used with all the original packaging for $2200
2) 2009 Ibanez Egen18, new in box for $2000 + tax

Which shall I choose? I've only been playing about two years, but I'm looking to start a solid pro setup to keep me going for years to come. I play mostly metal such as All that Remains, Dragonforce, and Sonata Arctica, but I really enjoy the greats like Satriani, Vai, and Petrucci as well and the fantastic tone that they possess.

Any ideas? I'm completely undecided. Thanks!!
Can you try them out?

Take whatever one you prefer, after trying, would be your best decision.
Carvin V3 - Matamp 4x12 - VHT Valvulator - Maxon OD808 - Visual Volume Pedal

EH Cathedral - Ibanez DE7
depends on tone in my opinion. I prefer the egen because its mahogany, it can still pull out petrucci tones easily and come pretty close to vai. different than satch though (big tonal difference between basswood and mahogany.) plus if you're doing some heavy riffing and you need a power sound, the egen out shines the jem in that style. dont get me wrong, it can still get thick and low sounding. they both deliver extremely well on leads! all around I believe the egen to be much more versatile. but it all depends on the tone youre after.
The guitars are both of great quality. Imho, none is better, they're just different. That being said, I'd go for the Egen:p Those are plain sexy imho^^
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
out of those two i'd go with the jem, you'd probably want to switch out the pickups on the if you pick the egen tho,

but i'm wondering if you really tought this trough? the guitars you listed are both signature models of bands you like but i'm pretty sure you can get equally good guitars for less money by just picking something that doesn't have herman li attached to it :p

if you are spending that much on a guitar please go and check it out in person, better yet go to a store and try multiple high end guitars in your price range and see what you prefer.

I wouldn't limit myself to ibanez tho, at least test esp/jackson/... I actually think you'd be better of with a soloist then with those guitars but thats a matter of opinion.

btw: if you're spending that much on a guitar you'd better spend about the same on an amp else you are basicly raping the guitars tone :p

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Both are dream guitars.
I'd pick the Egen18 which is personally my dream guitar, and I disagree with the guy above, Egen18 has very good pickups (custom Dimarzio).
Quote by Tyraziell
Both are dream guitars.
I'd pick the Egen18 which is personally my dream guitar, and I disagree with the guy above, Egen18 has very good pickups (custom Dimarzio).

oh lol, you are right, just noticed that when looking on ibanez' site I had the egen 8 open, which has v7/8 or something

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Wow, thanks very much for the help so far guys! Yeah, I'm hoping to be able to try out the Jem this week, since it's much closer to me than the Egen, but we'll see what happens...it looks busy as hell over here. Yeah, tone-wise I'm going towards that brighter, soloist-style Steve Vai or similar sound, and I hope the Egen's pickups can do that, since I know much less about them.

I'm playing through a Line 6 Mark I Bogner tube amp with a cabinet with 4 Celestion Vintage 30s...I hope that'll not be a limiting factor
herman li used a Jem on a couple of the early recording,

for you style of music it`s a case of either / or. i.e both will do what you want.

for the sake of saving up a extra $300, i`d wait until you can get a new jem (would never buy a 2nd hand guitar when spending that kind of money)
Just depends on what you prefer. The EGEN has a thin mahogany body with the Edge Zero, and IMO looks better than the JEM. The JEM will have the Original Edge or Edge Pro, depending on how recent it is.
Herman Li used Evos in his older guitars too, so I think the custom pickups in the EGEN are pretty similar to Evos.
I hate the colour of the EGEN,I think it's too flashy but Then again I dont like the vine inlays of the jem..

If I were you I'd seriously consider getting a JS2400,but it doesnt have the normal super wizard that we're used to,so In the end what I would do is a get a normal S5470F or K and then swap the pups
What amp do you use?
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
I use a Line 6 HD100 Bogner tube amp with a cabinet with 4 Celestion Vintage 30s. I find it works fairly well.
In my view, the EGEN18 is more of a metal guitar compared to the JEM7V. So if your more into playing your Dragonforce than your Vai, go with the EGEN18. Also the EGEN18 comes with a case. The JEM7V doesn't.
definately JEM7V

To think about it... the EGEN18 only has the edge pro bridge which replaced the original ZR. to me that was a crappy move. It has dimarzio pickups with a neck pickup that has a warmer tone, and that useless grabby thingymabobber on the left horn of the guitar..... Basically the EGEN18 is an "modified" version of the S570B
Quote by SilverRock113
definately JEM7V

To think about it... the EGEN18 only has the edge pro bridge which replaced the original ZR. to me that was a crappy move. It has dimarzio pickups with a neck pickup that has a warmer tone, and that useless grabby thingymabobber on the left horn of the guitar..... Basically the EGEN18 is an "modified" version of the S570B

Edge Zero you mean. But saying that the EGEN is just a modified S570 is like saying JEM is basically a modified RG (actually its the other way around, but thats not important)
The EGEN gets Prestige treatment; better wood, more attention to detail, a different bridge, Dimarzio pickups, a flamed maple top (veneer, but it still looks good) and when it came out it was the first S shape with 24 frets along with the S5470.
Really, the only thing it has in common with an S570 is the shape.
Quote by littlephil
Edge Zero you mean. But saying that the EGEN is just a modified S570 is like saying JEM is basically a modified RG (actually its the other way around, but thats not important)
The EGEN gets Prestige treatment; better wood, more attention to detail, a different bridge, Dimarzio pickups, a flamed maple top (veneer, but it still looks good) and when it came out it was the first S shape with 24 frets along with the S5470.
Really, the only thing it has in common with an S570 is the shape.

umm,not to argue but mr.tak hosono(you should know)himself said that the JEM is there flagship model..so I am sure that they have equal or better quality as the prestiges.Here is what he had to say(I really cant believe this)

Quote by Tak Hosono
I don't think so. We will go negative in profit department everytime we sell one. The JEM guitars are our flagship, you know that. Regards,
Thats my point. Its better, I was using that as an example of how a Prestige Sig is better than just a normal version of a similar model (EGEN vs S570).
Quote by littlephil
Thats my point. Its better, I was using that as an example of how a Prestige Sig is better than just a normal version of a similar model (EGEN vs S570).

sorry phil,I misunderstood what you've said....yeah you're right BTW