Page 1 of 2
I've been thinking about my future lately and I have thought about where I would like to live when I'm older (given that I can sustain a well-paying job and normal lifestyle).

Lately I have been really wanting to live in Iceland. I currently live in Texas, so this would be a drastic change, but i feel like i would be very happy there based off of what i have read and seen (although, I would be far from family)

So, does anyone here live in Iceland or have been there? Would it be easy for an American from Texas to make a drastic change of scenery/society and adapt well there? The language seems tuff, is it? etc.

Thank you
Yes, the language would probably be hard for an American person. It's pretty much like Swedish was 800 years ago.
ಠ_ಠ
/▌
/ \
Iceland looks like a real miserable shithole if you ask me. Constant atlantic storms, cold weather, no money, foreign language, Sigur Ros... The list of cons goes on and on.
Quote by Maximum._.Power
Yes, the language would probably be hard for an American person. It's pretty much like Swedish was 800 years ago.

I heard that if you wanted to learn ICelandic, you pretty much needed to be fluent in Swedish to even begin learning.
Quote by NoOne0507
I heard that if you wanted to learn ICelandic, you pretty much needed to be fluent in Swedish to even begin learning.

Norwegian or Danish works aswell.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Quote by Mugg74
Would it be easy for an American from Texas to make a drastic change of scenery/society and adapt well there?

Why would you want such a drastic change? I have a feeling once you get there, you will find it isn't as exciting as you thought it would be. Plus, with Eyjafjallajokull the way it is, forget about planning to visit your parents...

Quote by Mugg74
The language seems tough

Fixed.

...and yes it is.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
one word, Bjork.

I rest my case.
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
Am I the only one that thought TS was actually talking about the shop when seeing the thread title?
This will start a RIOT! in me
Quote by Dream Floyd
Why would you want such a drastic change? I have a feeling once you get there, you will find it isn't as exciting as you thought it would be. Plus, with Eyjafjallajokull the way it is, forget about planning to visit your parents...

Fixed.

...and yes it is.

Haha, its pretty ironic how i wrote tuff instead of tough.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Iceland is broke.

This. I don't know if you want to live there.
Swedish would be easier to learn for an English speaker, I've heard.
If you'd like to try something different for a home, think very hard about it.
If Iceland is appealing to you, maybe you should just visit a few Nordic countries, and decide which one you like the most.

You might feel at home in Finland, I've heard that it's moderately Americanized. I've never been there, so I wouldn't know.
Yksinään hän vaeltaa mis' varjot lankeaa
Halki usvan ja roudan vain teräs seuranaan
Sydämensä kylmä on kuin maa routainen
Mutta silmissään viha polttava kuin kiuas tulinen
Quote by NoOne0507

I'm not sure it would have to be Swedish, all Scandinavian languages except Finnish are pretty similar. But yeah, a few years ago in school we got to read a simple Icelandic text, and I remember understanding what it was about, but not every word (I'm Swedish), so it would be an advantage knowing a Scandinavian language
ಠ_ಠ
/▌
/ \
I've been to Iceland last September, it's dark 6 months out of the year... But go for it!
This is not a pipe
Thanks for the input. I still have many years to decide. I would definitely visit all of the Scandinavian countries before deciding on a place to live, as i have always been interested in northern and eastern European areas/culture.
Quote by Mugg74
Thanks for the input. I still have many years to decide. I would definitely visit all of the Scandinavian countries before deciding on a place to live, as i have always been interested in northern and eastern European areas/culture.

You should come to Sweden
The Finnish people speak funny. The Danish people speak funny. The Norwegians are too busy hanging around in their fjords. And they speak funny.
ಠ_ಠ
/▌
/ \
Iceland is the home of the greatest and best football player ever:
Eidur Gudjohnsen.
Just be careful if they offer you any food, it's all cheap and breaded.
From what I've seen on /int/ they hate foreigners, of course most people who visit /int/ hate eveyrone so I don't know how real this is.

TS don't do it, language seems too dificult and economically Iceland is not in a very good situation.

The best thing to come out of that island has been Þeyr.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Iceland is meant to be really depressing.
I'd advice against it. Also, the language is not worth learning, in an economic sense. Go to China or India. Developing, different, more chance to do something good, more useful language in general.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by Fat-bastard0603
From what I've seen on /int/ they hate foreigners, of course most people who visit /int/ hate eveyrone so I don't know how real this is.
TS don't do it, language seems too dificult and economically Iceland is not in a very good situation.

The best thing to come out of that island has been Þeyr.

True, we have a Swedish forum where the majority hates foreigners, but they do not represent the Swedish population.

And you should visit all Scandinavian countries before deciding, we are friendly and welcoming people. Come to Sweden or Norway.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
To me lately, it has just seemed like a peaceful safe haven. I'm not even out of college and I already can't stand the negatives of the United States. Not saying the U.S. is a bad place to live, because it's not, I like it here in Tx, but I'm just starting to get fed up with how political everything is and all the fads and commercial ideals that are forced upon everyone and how it seems you have to be apart of and commit to one side of every national argument. Iceland, and other countries like it, to me right now is a welcoming peaceful getaway (like that of a small tropical island). Of course, I understand that these places also have people with conflicting views and some of the stuff I'm getting sick of.

It's probably just a phase i've been going through lately (You know, the cliche teenager thing involving trying to figure out who you are blah blah blah). Also, I've been listening to a lot of Sigur Ros.
Quote by ..NEM..

And you should visit all Scandinavian countries before deciding, we are friendly and welcoming people. Come to Sweden or Norway.

This is true, but all Swedes and Norwegians are rivals, so you will have to pick your side.

Edit: Just so you know, this isn't something dead serious but it is common knowledge here in Sweden that Norwegians are less intelligent than the rest of the world
ಠ_ಠ
/▌
/ \
Last edited by Maximum._.Power at Jun 20, 2010,
I've heard it's melting.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
I had this exact plan at the start of my senior year. Then their economy collapsed, and I stopped learning the language online.
But, perhaps I'd be having the time of my life now if I'd gone. The sun never goes down in summer. They drink like horses. There are worse places to be.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by guitarhero_764
I hear Denmark is the best nordic country.

It is. Happiest country in the world.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Iceland is broke.

in every sense of the word
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by Mugg74
I also enjoy hockey! lol

You sound like me, I love hockey, Sigur Ros, and have always wanted to live in Iceland, but am stuck in America. Also, if you like Sigur Ros, check out We Made God, its like Sigur Ros, but heavy, and they are also from Iceland.
Quote by imcrazy814
You sound like me, I love hockey, Sigur Ros, and have always wanted to live in Iceland, but am stuck in America. Also, if you like Sigur Ros, check out We Made God, its like Sigur Ros, but heavy, and they are also from Iceland.

Theres just something about northern culture that I adore. It may have something to do with me being born in Minnesota. But i have spent the last 15 years growing up in Texas. Anyways, I'm listening to We Made God right now and I'm liking it so far. Thanks
Oh my god....
It's pretty funny reading the comments here.
Based on some comments here Iceland comes out like being an incredibly hostile place to live in.
I've got to say Iceland is a really nice place to live, we don't hate foreigners, we just find people that don't know English nor Icelandic annoying (the "we hate foreigners" thing is probably that there are many foreigners here from the Baltic seacoast that don't speak Icelandic nor English, so we have no way to communicate with them). I was raised in Sweden and i got to say, Swedish people are much more hostile towards foreigners than Icelanders.
People complain about Iceland being broke, yes there is a recession here but the worst is over and our currency is finally getting better (we're better off than Greece),
And som people fear that you might die here because of a volcano erupting but there are no volcanoes close to the capital area (where most people in Iceland live).
As for our language, Icelandic IS one of the hardest languages in the world, knowing another north germanic language won‘t help you that much because the hard part about learning Icelandic is the grammar (the swedish, norwegian and danish grammar is nothing like the Icelandic one)
I‘ve lived here for 6 years and i still have problems with the language at times (and bear in mind i speak Swedish fluently).
As for the music community it is very versatile, the metal community is GREAT here!.
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
Quote by stebbic

As for the music community it is very versatile, the metal community is GREAT here!.

The Icelandic music scene is one of the best in the world right now as far as i'm concerned, so much good indie, post-rock, folk, etc. People usually assume it's just Sigur Ros and bjork but there's so much more to explore.

But yah Iceland seems like a really nice place to visit. going to Reykjavik is on my "bucket list", so to speak
Isn't Iceland quite an expensive country to live in?
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
Isn't Iceland quite an expensive country to live in?

Yes it is because of the economy
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
I've been thinking about going to live there for a year or so, from what I've seen it's the most beautifull place in the entire world. If you haven't seen it already, I suggest you should watch the movie Heima by Sigur Rós, that's what made me fall in love.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Food's shit but its only £1, students dream. and that cokehead kerry katona is always there.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
I like Iceland. I went there with my school to hike and climb mountains and camp and stuff earlier this year. There's some incredible scenery especially Þingvellir which I loved. Whale steak is delicious. Reykjavik is pretty cool. Saw a guy dresed as Elvis playing the trombone. It's not as expensive as I thought It was going to be either. Very similar to prices in the UK (although for an american that's probably more expensive thatn you're used to). The weather is pretty good. We were dissapointed when we arrived at the airport with all our cold weather gear and it was hot haha. Were grateful for the cold weather stuff when we were up in Kerlingarfjöll though! 60 mph winds and tents do not mix! When I was there it didn't get dark when I was there which was odd.

Also Icelandic girls = Pretty damn hot

tl;dr
I like Iceland
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Page 1 of 2