Hello, UG. Since I started guitar 2 years ago, I've been using a Squier Strat with a Fender Frontman 15G...I know, crap. I have 300 dollars saved up, and I've decided to upgrade my amp instead of my guitar, since it is easier to make a Squier Strat sound decent than a Frontman 15G xD

I've had trouble looking, because I play everything. One day its thrash metal, the next blues, the next classic rock, melodic death metal, jazz (not that I can really play it, but I am trying to learn), etc. So I need a very versatile amp. I don't want one perfect tone, but I want several good tones, ones that go across all sorts of genres. I also want to play around with some effects.

For 300 dollars, I came across the Peavey Vypyr 75. I've looked into the 30 and such but I like what the 75 has, and though I use it primarily for at home practice, I'd like to bring it in for band practice too.

I was wondering what people had to say about this? Is it a reliable amp? I'm in a bit of a financial rut right now and I don't have the money to go replacing my gear every year or two, so I'd like this amp to last me for a bit.
Sounds pretty reasonable, but if you could save and get the tube 60, I would.

Maybe look for some used pup's too? I new pickup and amp could really revamp your sound.

I think the peavey vypyr would be great tho.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
you can´t go wrong with the vypyr. I also play a squier Strat and i find the vypyr´s tone very good considering its a stock squier. great clean/crunchy blues, although to play metal you should find new pickups (or even a new guitar).
The Peavey vypyr line sounds like it would be perfect for you. I have a 15w one for practicing and easy transportation and its great for what it does and definitely the price. I'd recommend trying to test a 75 and a tube 60 vypyr in comparison if you can. The tube 60 is 145 dollars more but it will sound more natural and well, tube-y compared to the 75w. If you can afford or save up the extra money for the 60 I'd definitely recommend it. Eventually you might want the footswitch for either so that might run you an extra hundred.

See what you like!
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
I have the Vypyr 100. and I LOVE IT. but I hate modeling. Its the best modeling amp out there, love it, but it still sounds kinda fake. For what you want save up a little more and get a Peavey Valveking combo!!! Trust me, I used one for a show from a friend from another band, ITS GREAT!!! It may not have all the fancy delays and such, but it has the the texture class A to Class A/B control and you will love that for all you play. Its clean channel is great and the Bright switch makes it versatile. Then the second channel distorts great, and the gain boost is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! Trust me, my friend is in a very popular Christian Hardcore/Death Metal band in town and they use Valve kings on the gain boost. Trust me you'll be much happier with tube, it'll sound so real and amazing, and it feels more responsive. GET THE VALVE KING!

Imo a squire isn't worth pup replacements. Id save up to get an Ibanez or something. Or a Mexi Strat. I had a Fender Mexi H-S-S Strat with a maple fret board and it was great! An Ibanez would be versatile, like an RGA or a S series. Just Make sure it has a Bridge humbucker if your playing metal.

Just got into guitar center and try some amps, definatly the vlave king, but try the vypur to, you might like it more. but seriously the Valve King is amazing! and mot much more expensive.

Good luck
Thanks for the input, guys.

RocknRory, if I do decide on the Vypyr 75 and order it online before June 30th, the Sansera I Foot pedal would come with it, is this a worth it deal?

And I'll look into the tube 60 and Valve King, thanks Would someone mind telling me how reliable the Vypyr 75, tube 60, and valve king are? Like I said earlier I can't afford to upgrade gear often (I play other instruments, and I'm looking to start up bass soon) and I'd really like an amp that will last me multiple years.

Also, I want to start recording some solo guitar stuff, but I have nothing to record with...I hear I can record stuff on my laptop straight from the amp with a USB cord? Has anyone done this?
Last edited by Insira at Jun 20, 2010,
Hm, I don't think that buying the 75w with the bonus footswitch is worth jumping on it. First you need to find out if you like the vypyr 60 (tube tone) more than the 75w solid state one. Also try out other tube amps in your price range if you can. If you do indeed like tube tone then you know its not worth it to jump on the solid state. I'm not sure how reliable the amps are but keep in mind that tube amps have tubes (duh!) which need to be replaced depending on how much you use the amp. Power tubes (the big ones) vary but usually last a year to a year and a half unless you play gigs all the time.
Check out reviews on harmony central, after going through a bunch you can usually get a good idea on what kind of feedback the amp gets.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory