When I crank up my VOX AC4, it gets sort of..."lumpy" and farty. But that's only when it's on the 4 watt mode. On the 1/4 watt and 1 watt mode, it's fine.

Does anyone else get this? Is it my guitar or my amp? Or is it just me?

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Maybe its just too loud.
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
Quote by dm1925
Maybe its just too loud.

Like...what do you mean?

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Everything is nice and snug. I checked myself the day I got it.

But I feel like it's not speaker distortion, since it's a 10 watt speaker and the amp is only 4 watts. I only have the volume at noon when it starts to sound farty, so I think it's safe to say that the amp is only putting out about 6-7 watts of power max.

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
speakers can start distorting well below the power rating, i think. i haven't tried the ac4, so I dunno about that particular amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Then why would they be rated for something that they can't handle?

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Quote by lkngro
Then why would they be rated for something that they can't handle?
They can handle it, the distortion is natural in many guitar speakers.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Ah, I see. Either way, I think that's stupid.

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
yeah, the rating means where the speaker is actually struggling, i.e. about to fail. speaker distortion is wanted by some players.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The speaker's power handling isn't a reference to when it starts distorting the sound. The power handling rating is the amount of power the speaker can take before it is damaged. A speaker can begin distorting with as little as 1 watt delivered to it (depending on the speaker). And more often than not, speaker break-up is a desired component of the overall tone.

But speaker break-up is probably not what you are taking issue with here. You may just not like the character of the 4 watt mode. Or it could be the behavior of the output tube that you're not crazy about. EL84's are cheap, and your amp only has one, so you could try a little "tube rolling" to see if another brand sounds better to your ears.
just be careful with the ac4, the vast majority of tube amps are really easy to switch tubes in (certainly single-enders where you don't have to bias), but trying to swap tubes in the ac4 exposes you to the circuit, and you could electrocute yourself if you're not careful (even if it's off). If you don't know what you're doing, let someone else who does swap the tubes for you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?