Hi

I am going to upgrade the Tremolo on my Fender 50s Classic Player Stratocaster to a Wilkinson VS100.

But before I do, has anyone here had any experience with it? Would you recommend it?

Thanks, any help will be appreciated.
i haven't tried that specific one, but I've liked the wilkinson stuff I have tried.

Are you sure it's a direct swap? (just making sure, i'm sure you have checked)

is there anything wrong with the stock trem? not much point in wasting money if there's not, that'd be the only real concern (that and that it'll fit).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I already looked at doing this exact mod way back when I was first deciding what Strat to buy. Bad news for you - it won't fit directly. All the Wilkinson Strat style bridges (both two-post and six-screw designs) are made to USA spec, all of the Mexican and Japanese Fenders use different screw and post spacing. So, to get the Wilkinson bridge to fit you'll have to fill in the old post holes and drill new ones.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i could be way off here, but I thought the point, on those wilky trems, that one of the knife edges on the trem is shaped around the stud, while the other one is flat, was meant to avoid the need for the studs to be in exactly the right place? (as i said, I might be wrong)

unless you mean the actual studs are the wrong size, and you have to redrill to get them to fit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The problem is both studs are in the wrong place. If just the bottom/right stud is out of place then yeah, the Wilkinson units can cope with that. But if the top/left stud isn't in the right place then the whole bridge will be off. Same with the Wilkinson one screw/five slot and the one screw/one slot designs too. The stud or screw under the low E string has to be in the right place, it's only the others that can be a little off.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
oh ok, yeah, that makes sense.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, you've got to redrill for the wilkinson units. I've got a VS100 on my strat and it's excellent. I did a little routing and it's got tons of range in both directions without all the silliness of a floyd. The way the CP strat is routed, you probably won't be able to pull up on it other than for a little vibrato. You'll need to route if you want to pull up a half or full step.
just out of interest, colin, what's the sustain block like on the vs100? the trem's MIJ gotoh-made, right? (there's a tokai strat i half have my eye on which has the vs100 on it)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 21, 2010,
Wilkinson stuff is all licensed manufacture, so a bunch of companies make them with slight variations, mostly in the metal. Mine's a Gotoh, which is MIJ has a full-size steel block. Some of the other manufacturers don't use a steel block, but they're all full-size and very manly.
hehe. yeah the one i'm looking at is a vs100 too, on an MIJ tokai, so I'm guessing it's also probably MIJ gotoh-made.

Thanks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrFlibble
I already looked at doing this exact mod way back when I was first deciding what Strat to buy. Bad news for you - it won't fit directly. All the Wilkinson Strat style bridges (both two-post and six-screw designs) are made to USA spec, all of the Mexican and Japanese Fenders use different screw and post spacing. So, to get the Wilkinson bridge to fit you'll have to fill in the old post holes and drill new ones.

This, I had that problem upgrading the bridge on my Squier to a Wilkinson, but I just about managed to get it in cause the holes in the bridge were extra wide (apparently it had some advantage for stability or something)
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend