I've been playing guitar for over 2 years and i recently had a battle and lost badly because i found out that my picky doesn't function well...i need more speed and coordination...any advice
Had a battle?
Just practice using your pinky and eventually it will be alot stronger and work better when playing.
don't do battles in public. for a guitar player in his/her third year, it's essential to have the opportunity to go batshit insane against a more educated player. trust me, he'll bleed by the eyes by the time you're done with your divebomb attempts =)

joking aside, take a look at this::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrErZdZaGpw
Are you experiencing any pain??? If so, then please go see a Dr. asap.

ron666
Pinky independence is a pain in the butt, Ive been doing the exercises for about 3 or 4 months, because Ive realized how much having my pinky sticking out has slowed down my playing.

The exercises hurt, and you have to go real slow, but it pays off in the end.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Simple fact of life- some people never get the control and strength they want for their pinky fingers.

I played cello more than a decade before picking up the guitar, and my pinky is awful! Sometimes it locks up; sometimes when I'm arching it, it collapses and flattens out. When it actually works the way I want it to, I take it as a blessing.

My advice is get some kind of exercise ball or grip trainer and work it. They're small enough to take anywhere and use almost any time.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Simple fact of life- some people never get the control and strength they want for their pinky fingers.

I played cello more than a decade before picking up the guitar, and my pinky is awful! Sometimes it locks up; sometimes when I'm arching it, it collapses and flattens out. When it actually works the way I want it to, I take it as a blessing.

My advice is get some kind of exercise ball or grip trainer and work it. They're small enough to take anywhere and use almost any time.

My big problem is mine locks up, alot. Its either up, and sticking out, or down against the neck.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Yeah...that may just be a permanent limitation. Just keep exercising & stretching and it may work out for you. Or it may not.

However, don't let this limitation limit you.

Remember, even if your pinky doesn't do everything as well as you like, you still have other fingers. Tony Iommi and Django Reinhardt didn't even have all of theirs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Yeah...that may just be a permanent limitation. Just keep exercising & stretching and it may work out for you. Or it may not.

However, don't let this limitation limit you.

Remember, even if your pinky doesn't do everything as well as you like, you still have other fingers. Tony Iommi and Django Reinhardt didn't even have all of theirs.

Ive gotten fairly good at using my other fingers... my pinky just.. doesnt cooperate.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by gtosteve65
I've been playing guitar for over 2 years and i recently had a battle and lost badly because i found out that my picky doesn't function well...i need more speed and coordination...any advice

lolwut?

Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
you will proably have to play more.
GEAR
Schecter demon
Line 6 spider 3,75 watts
Line 6 UX2
Alvarez ad60sc
Fender Squire. Strat Acoustic
Fender standard Stratocaster
SOFTWARE
Logic Studio
Pod Farm 2
1-Practice
2-If you're pinky locks , try to play slowly on focus on it being arched at all times. If it is, it will most likely not get locked.

I had this pinky problem at beginning but it stopped doing it shortly after I started practicing it more.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

So, you've been playing two years, and this one event made you realize that you suck using your pinky?

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Try and incorporate your pinky into EVERYTHING, if you need to stretch up and extra fret or two, just use your pinky, even if you have to slow everything down.
I had this same problem, then I started practicing scales and riffs using my pinky, and it has greatly improved. Still not amazing, but better.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3