Is this common with a floating bridge? I just got my new Ibanez with a ZR trem (my first floating trem experience ever) and I've been practicing whammy techniques over and over and over, doing countless divebombs and squeals trying to perfect my technique (you know, diving, tapping over the 3rd fret G, and lifting up)

Then BAM! 2 strings break at once at the bridge.

Is this common, or should I lay off the whammy? I mean.... is that just a coincidence that 2 strings happen to break at exactly the same time?

Sorry if this is a ridiculous question. I've been playing hardtails for over 5 years, but I'm a complete floating trem noob.
coincidence tbh, you were just unlucky.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
are you using the factory strings? they may just be old and brittle. You should be able to pull back about 4 semitones before you even start to worry (open string pulled back so it sounds like you're holding down the 4th fret). I've never broken a string doing these things as long as I can remember.
i'm guessing one broke, and upped the tension rapidly enough so the other one broke along with it.

never happened to me on a floyd.
string abuse will break them eventually.
Quote by iduno871
are you using the factory strings? they may just be old and brittle. You should be able to pull back about 4 semitones before you even start to worry (open string pulled back so it sounds like you're holding down the 4th fret). I've never broken a string doing these things as long as I can remember.

Yes, they were the strings that came with the guitar, but a tag came in the box that says D'addario 110XL so I'm assuming they were quality strings.

Quote by heminder
i'm guessing one broke, and upped the tension rapidly enough so the other one broke along with it.

never happened to me on a floyd.
string abuse will break them eventually.

That's very possible. I took the ZPS system out so the tension definitely went out of whack.
Last edited by Ignite at Jun 20, 2010,