Im looking into buying either a blackstar ht5 or the ht 20h. I was wondering what the differences were in sound, other than the 20h being louder. Ive never owned a tube amp, and was also wondering how loud the 5w head would be compared to the 20h.
its not so much about loudness, more about how far the amp can go without getting saturated. are you playing with a band? gigging? what kind of music?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
No this is mainly gonna be used for jamming/practicing in my room. Ill probably do some recording with it but nothing really crazy. I play mostly metal but I play clean stuff with effects occasionally
if you dont care about the cranked tone of the amp, then don't even worry about the wattage, then im not sure what to say because i havent played a ht 20 and i dont know if its different from the ht5, but assuming their both the same the ht5. some people say it doesnt have the gain for metal, but i loved its sound for metal personally
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Yeah Ive heard the tone is good but theres just not enough gain. Which could easily be fixed with an overdrive pedal, right? Such as a ts9 or something similar? Sorry if these are beginner questions I dont really know too much about gear.
i have a ht-5 and im thinking of shifting it on,
it has a really nice overdrive for a 5w amp, for me there is enough gain for metal, but maybe a boost would tighten it up more...
the problem i can see with it is, on the clean channel there isn't an awful lot of headroom, which to me isnt the best, but for the crunchy + high gain stuff its brilliant..
i own the HT5 head and in my opinion it gives a really nice crunchy distortion. In my experience it can just about cope in practise with a drum kit when turned up to full volume running through two 4X12 cabs, but for gigs, youll prolly want to mic it up. hope this helps