So I've had my ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe for a while now and have found myself getting tired of the EMG sound. I did the 18v mod and it helped but I want to try some passives!

I contacted Tim at Bare Knuckle Pickups and he suggested two Nailbombs for what I play so I'm set on getting a pair of those. I'm wondering what specific parts I need to rewire my guitar from active to passive. I know I need new pots and whatnot but I would also like to add a push/pull pot to coilsplit the nailbombs for added versatility. Keep in mind that I'm going to have a guitar tech at a local music store do this for me because I don't want to mess anything up and I'm not so good with a soldering iron. I just want to know what parts I need to bring to him.

Also a local music store quoted me $65 dollars an hour for installing them, sounds pretty rediculous but I'm wondering what you guys think. Thanks
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
$65 an hour is about right to have a guitar tech do the work. The good thing about paying this much, is if they screw it up, it's on them. Your only alternative is to learn how to do it yourself, which costs $0 for the labor. Installing pickups isn't all that hard, but you do need to have some basic electronic skills and know how to solder. Check with the guy selling you the new pickups - he should include everything needed to make the replacement happen.
Passives FTW! It's not that hard to change pickups though. And there's only one way to learn dude!

^And dude above the guy above me, I love Spawn of Possession!
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Alright, I guess I'll just take it in and ask what I need for the rewire, thanks guys.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
you can still use the stereo jack but you wont ground anything to the tab where the batteries were grounded.

you're getting two BKPs? honestly id recommend getting two push/pull pots and having your tech wire each up for series/parallel switching. you need one pot per pup for that as opposed to being able to wire for coil splitting with just one pot. to me, parallel sounds better and unlike coil splitting, its hum cancelling.

ive only changing actives to passives once and i had to use a different tone capacitor since the legs on the old one weren't long enough, so i cant remember if actives and passives require different valued caps. just ask your tech about that one i guess.

are you getting covers one these NBs by chance? i recently got a 7 str miracle man with a distressed cover and its sexy as hell! in case its something you might be interested in, here's a photo.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Last edited by SYLrules88 at Jun 20, 2010,