I've just started to learn the bass (one week in). I'm currently learning from this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Progressive-Bass-Guitar-Beginner-Advanced/dp/095954044X

I do have a quick question. I've noticed that I'm not always getting my fingers in the right position along the thread board.. Quite a few times the fingers land on the wrong fret or the string.. Is this just all about the learning curve and with practice, correct placement will be second nature ?. Also can someone confirm that a finger placement should be behind the fret or can it be any where between the frets ?.. I keep on getting different responses to this question.

Thanks in advance.
You've been playing for a week, your fingers won't have built up the muscle memory and accuracy yet. Just keep at it!
Quote by SilverSpurs616
You've been playing for a week, your fingers won't have built up the muscle memory and accuracy yet. Just keep at it!

Thanks..
Don't mean to be picky, but it's called a fretboard
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
In answer to your second question, it is common practice to place your fingers just behind the fret to get the clearest sounding and most accurate note.

As others as said, keep practisicing and focusing on it, and it'll become second nature over time
Quote by metalhead1972UK
I've just started to learn the bass (one week in). I'm currently learning from this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Progressive-Bass-Guitar-Beginner-Advanced/dp/095954044X

I do have a quick question. I've noticed that I'm not always getting my fingers in the right position along the thread board.. Quite a few times the fingers land on the wrong fret or the string.. Is this just all about the learning curve and with practice, correct placement will be second nature ?. Also can someone confirm that a finger placement should be behind the fret or can it be any where between the frets ?.. I keep on getting different responses to this question.

Thanks in advance.

Keep practicing, that's about the only answer. After a few months of playing, your fingers will remember where the frets are, and you will be able to play with your eyes closed.

As for the 2nd question, it sounds better when you play directly behind the fret, other wise you might get string buzzing.

Good luck!!!
"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination