Hey, I've been looking for a new guitar to get. I've pretty much narrowed it down to

http://www.thomann.de/gb/schecter_damien_elite_6_fr_cr.htm

and

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_s570_bk.htm

I've got 2 questions... How much thicker are the Schecter's necks than the Ibanez's necks? Is it a very noticable difference?
I got pretty small hands, for that matter.
I don't got a music store within a reasonable distance just to try out some guitars, so I thought I'd ask here.
personally i would go for the s series, mainly because i have one and it kicks ass

edit: never played a shecter before so not sure on the neck size

Ibanez S670FM
Ibanez Masa SX60
Roland Cube 60
CryBaby GCB 95
Ibanez GSR180 Bass

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
Generally speaking, Schecter's necks are going to be significantly thicker than Ibanez's. The difference will most likely be very noticeable.
ive had both. my current axe is a ibanez rg 1527. its a 7 string. i also have owned a schecter c1 hellraiser. ya the nick is thicker on the schecter, but its tone was great. you can easily manipulate tone with your gear and what not, but as far as natural sounding, it was great. the ibanez plays like a dream tho. the neck is a prestige neck though. thats what youre really paying for. i have short stubby fingers and i handled both just fine. the schecters neck is more like a gibson as far as size and what not. hope this help you
The Schecter has a far thicker neck, and less higher fret access because of the heel, but even coming from a huge Ibanez fanboy like me I have to say that the Schecter is ridiculously good value for money with EMGs and an OFR.
That said, the Ibanez will probably feel better and the only real downside is the pickups aren't that great.
I dont think you guys should scare him away form Schecters per se. I mean, first off, how long have you been playing and what bands do you play?
The Schecter is going to be a bit thicker yes, more like a studio les paul. This means better tone however in trade for a little less shred factor, but of course you can still shred it up if that's what you intend on doing.

Also it's worth pointing out that the pups on the schecter are significantly better than ibanez's stock on the s570.
Quote by ApeWeevil
The Schecter has a far thicker neck, and less higher fret access because of the heel, but even coming from a huge Ibanez fanboy like me I have to say that the Schecter is ridiculously good value for money with EMGs and an OFR.
That said, the Ibanez will probably feel better and the only real downside is the pickups aren't that great.

+1
I love Schecters, but personally I would go with the Ibanez on this one, neck is noticeably thinner then a Schecter and the Zero Point Tremolo system on the Ibanez is 10x better then a OFR. Yeah sure the pickup's are horrible but with the price of the Ibanez Vs. Schecter you can get a set of EMG's.
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
What amp are you playing through?

If it's solid state get the Ibanez.

Also the Ibanez will be more versatile than the Schecter.
The Schecter neck isn't actually thick; in fact it's quite thin. It's just that the Ibanez neck is really thin. Yes, if you compare the two then the Schecter neck will seem to be a lot fatter and rounder than the Ibanez neck, but the Schecter's neck is still thinner and flatter than a typical Fender neck (which is the actual average). It's not so much that the Schecter's neck is ''fat'', it's that the Ibanez neck is anorexic.

Bear in mind that just as it is possible for a neck to be too thick for you to play properly, it is equally possible for a neck to be too thin to play properly. You also need to take into account the actual contour of the neck; just because a neck is a certain thickness at any given point doesn't tell you much about how the neck will feel. For example, a soft V neck could be 0.800 inches thick at the first fret and a flat D neck could be 0.800 inches thick at the first fret; both these necks would spec out to be the same thickness, but they would actually feel completely different in your hand. There is also the matter of the neck width which is just as vital to its playability as the thickness and contour are (especially the nut width, which largely dictates the string spacing). Then there's the fretboard radius and fret size to think about as well.

Ultimately, it is impossible to tell which guitar has the neck that is right for you unless you actually go to a store and play the guitars in question. That is the one and only way you will be able to find a guitar that feels right in your hands. If you blindly buy something online going by what someone on an internet message board has suggested to you or what the spec sheets say, chances are you're going to end up with something that isn't really appropriate for you. At best you can hope to get something which feels 'okay', but it's rare to order something blind and have it turn out to be really, really good for you. Go play the guitars, go play other guitars, find out what actually suits you.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The Schecter neck isn't actually thick; in fact it's quite thin. It's just that the Ibanez neck is really thin. Yes, if you compare the two then the Schecter neck will seem to be a lot fatter and rounder than the Ibanez neck, but the Schecter's neck is still thinner and flatter than a typical Fender neck (which is the actual average). It's not so much that the Schecter's neck is ''fat'', it's that the Ibanez neck is anorexic.

Great, thanks! And thanks to all of you for your answers!
Quote by MrFlibble
It's not so much that the Schecter's neck is ''fat'', it's that the Ibanez neck is anorexic.

I'm contemplating sigging this.
I'd personally get a schecter hellraiser C-1
even if it costs more, its a lot more well built.
My personal opinion anyway.
A lot of people here are ****ing idiots...

Comparing a Schecter neck to a Gibson, ESPECIALLY A LES PAUL, is the single most idiot thing I have ever read on this forum. As stated by a smart man earlier, yes a Schecter is going to have a thicker neck than an Ibanez because a Wizard II is so thin it's like playing a twig. This actual difference isn't going to be so great the Schecter isn't going to be playable, so I wouldn't worry about the neck size personally. That's my 2 cents.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
I agree, Gibson and Schecter aren't the greatest comparison.

While the Wizard necks are really thin, The neck on my Hellraiser is pretty thin and feels awesome to me. I have large hands though, and I don't need to have the thinnest neck possible, but I've played a lot of guitars, and Schecters have very nice necks. It's all up to you though, and I would try to go to a music store and try them both out, or atleast a schecter and an Ibanez of some sort and see what you prefer. I don't think having the thinnest neck ever should be the overall goal, unless you need it because you have small hands or want bragging rights or something. You have to consider everything else as well, from wood, to pickups, and even style.

Personally, I'd go for the Schecter because of the pickups. If I'm not mistaken, it has actives, while the Ibanez has passives. That's a big selling point for me though. It's all down to preference, and those guitars will probably both make you really happy. Schecters do have pretty fast and comfortable necks. maybe Schecter should name their necks, then people might be more impressed.

Those 2 guitars are definitely in the same class.
Quote by ApeWeevil

its not OFR but same materials i belive
Eh.
Quote by LP94
Hey, I've been looking for a new guitar to get. I've pretty much narrowed it down to

http://www.thomann.de/gb/schecter_damien_elite_6_fr_cr.htm

i hate you for showing me that. I've been considering the S570 for a couple of weeks, but after seeing that some doubt has entered my head. I also looked at a Sterling by Music Man JP50 but saying that nowhere near me stocks it its too much of a risk.

Sorry for slightly highjacking this thread, but is it worth my while considering the S570 saying that it has exactly the same neck as my RG? To me it seems as though im gonna have 2 guitars that play very similar, so it doesnt really seem worth it. BTW i can't try out either of them cause the guitar shops near me only really stock Gibson and Fender
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Arterial
I'd personally get a schecter hellraiser C-1
even if it costs more, its a lot more well built.
My personal opinion anyway.

keep in mind,schecter QC is not what I call great(or in anyway better than ibanez)

I've seen many problems in schecters(some),like fret buzz(that is too much to be caused as a side effect of a bad setup),frets that arent properly crowned,sloppy binding and I also have seen tuners that arent properly placed,so that some are much closer to the headstock binding while some are far away.

+ some new hellraisers are made in china..I can tell whether it's downgrading or not as I havent played a chinese hellraiser yet.

its up to you to decide,I personally think the trem is better on the ibby,as schecters have those FRT floyds
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 21, 2010,
Schecter damian necks are 21mm thick at the first fret if i remember correctly, and 22.5mm at the twelfth. What makes them seem thinner is the thin U profile or whatever it is, anyway, my schecter feels a lot faster than my LP type necked guitar. I don't remember exactly how thin the ibanez would be, probably around 18mm at the first fret

If you can play them side by side that would be ideal, but if you are only able to play one of them, you're probably better off going with that one (unless it feels horrible to you) and not take a chance.

All things considered. go used.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
i doubt very much that that's a german-made schaller OFR, I would imagine it's the Korean-made "OFR", the FRT-1000. they're still meant to be pretty good, but they don't seem to be exactly the same as the german-made ones, and, frankly (knowing what companies are up to, marketing etc.) I doubt they're just as good.

that being said, as far as i'm aware the ibanez zr trem isn't made by gotoh in japan either, so...

are you willing to swap pickups? if you're not, those stock ibanez pickups aren't amazing, so that's worth bearing in mind.

i don't think i've tried that specific schecter, but the ones i have tried, yeah, the neck was noticeably thicker.

EDIT: according to the schecter site, it's a floyd rose special trem on the damien elite 6 FR. That's not even as good as the FRT-1000. I would go with the Ibanez, personally.

This is yet another example of why you shouldn't trust specs on a retailer's website, you should go to the manufacturer's website.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by Dave_Mc
i doubt very much that that's a german-made schaller OFR, I would imagine it's the Korean-made "OFR", the FRT-1000. they're still meant to be pretty good, but they don't seem to be exactly the same as the german-made ones, and, frankly (knowing what companies are up to, marketing etc.) I doubt they're just as good.

that being said, as far as i'm aware the ibanez zr trem isn't made by gotoh in japan either, so...

are you willing to swap pickups? if you're not, those stock ibanez pickups aren't amazing, so that's worth bearing in mind.

i don't think i've tried that specific schecter, but the ones i have tried, yeah, the neck was noticeably thicker.

hehe dave,you're right again..its a korean FRT 1000 trem,I personally mailed a schecter rep and and thats the answer I got

actually it looks like a floyd rose special (check my edit)

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
actually it looks like a floyd rose special (check my edit)

oh yeah I thought that you guys were talking about high end schecters,like the hellraiser series..those are the ones with the FRT

ZR is way better than the FR special,even though its not made by gotoh()
yeah, probably
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If I decide to get the Ibanez, and want to put some active pups in it, is there enough space for the battery to be put... somewhere?
passives 4 lyf
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Generally Ibanez neck heels are a lot better executed than those scarf joints Schecter and Jackson use. Hell, Ibanez bolt-ons almost feel like playing a neck-thru.

However, if you could find a used Schecter Hellraiser you might get more quality for the same price.