Ok, so I'm playing power chords on the A string, eg:

E|-----|
B|-----|
G|---4-|
D|---4-|
A|---2-|
E|-----|

At first I've been trying to only strike those three strings, but I found it quite difficult, especially on faster songs.

So I decided to play it like this:

E|---x-|
B|---x-|
G|---4-|
D|---4-|
A|---2-|
E|---x-|

and strike all the strings, which works well when playing faster strumming patterns.

But then I've been reading through numerous threads and some people say that you should mute the unwanted strings and strike all six strings, while others say that doing so develops bad accuracy and I should only strike the three strings in the chord.

I was wondering how you all would play this, would you mute all the strings and strum all the strings, or would you try to only strum the strings in the chord. If it's the latter, how could you strum this was when playing faster strumming patterns?

Sorry if this seems like a wall of text I'm a little confuddled!

Thanks in advance!
Psht. I kinda correct as I go... but what I do, (and I LOVE muting, and positions like your describing) is I play it like
E|---x-|
B|---x-|
G|---4-|
D|---4-|
A|---2-|
E|-----|
And let my index on my left hand rest over the bottom strings, i start on the A with my right. I still have tons of speed, and can do things just as accurate... hope it helps
For your example mute the B and the low E strings, but concentrate on playing the 3 strings of the chord. That way you will get the cleanest sound. Muting and playing all six strings will not create a very pretty sound.
Quote by Darth_Qurashi
Man it feels just like anal sex, I think; I'm still a virgin

Quote by nebiru
Goose is my Hero.

Quote by Xeus
Yeah, if you get the shag in before she's your legal sister the incest is over turned
I don't get that... Ever since I've started I haven't had that problem, I think you could try just playing 3 strings, and after a time your wrist/hand would get used to it?
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Psht. I kinda correct as I go... but what I do, (and I LOVE muting, and positions like your describing) is I play it like
E|---x-|
B|---x-|
G|---4-|
D|---4-|
A|---2-|
E|-----|
And let my index on my left hand rest over the bottom strings, i start on the A with my right. I still have tons of speed, and can do things just as accurate... hope it helps

That's the best thing to do imo aswell.
Oh ok, so I guess I should start from the A string, and mute the bottom strings just in case I DO hit them by accident.

Cheers guys for clearing that up
I usually mute the bottom two string (e&b) with my index and use my middle to mute the low E...but I still concentrate on only hitting those three strings...and over time my accuracy has dramatically increased...but yet if i do hit more than those three...the fingers are there to mute.
Gotta ask yourself why you can only hit all six strings rather than the 3 that need to be, if you can sort it out then it'll help a bunch of other things aswell.

Funnily enough, as someone else stated, I've never had the problem either.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
Something I have learnt is that anchoring your strumming hand is good when pleying tight fast stuff, by placig the pinky/little finger (tip only) against the body of the guitar, this dramatically improves the accuracy for strumming something like this, however it does make up strokes trickier. Muting with the index finger aswell keeps you safe, but sometimes muting is bad, when it intereferes with technique.
In that example you're posting, I'd mute the 1st and 2nd Strings, but not struck them, just do it in case I screw up, and the 6th string open, but many times I mute it and struck it, but that's only because I like how it sounds.
Quote by almosthuman36
Learning sheet music will add to your knowledge of music theory, which will add to your knowledge of writing, which will make your songs sound better, which will make you more popular, which will increase your chances of getting laid.
Quote by vacant_pistol
Funnily enough, as someone else stated, I've never had the problem either.

I started just jamming with a cheap classical guitar a couple of years ago with no lessons, I just used to look up tabs and attempt to play songs, so I developed some pretty bad habits. Such as using my thumb, how I held the guitar, and overall playing really sloppy. I could use a pick well when using a pick, but I was useless at strumming.

I'm starting to play again and basically trying to start over, re-learning the basics properly this time
Ive taught myself only to hit the 3 strings I need in a powerchord, but before that, Id just rest my pinky on the bottom strings to mute them.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
You can work on your picking accuracy by dedicating practice to that area.
Also, maybe write some song that highlight the full muted strings, so it doesn't seem like such defficiancy.

Finally, try focusing on the low strings. Adding that low note to some power chrods can increase the sound. If you are playing other people songs, it won't really sound right, but shifting your focus to the lower group of strings may help you control what you are picking.

e| -
B| -
G| 4
D| 4
A| 2
E| 2