I've been playing for a little over a year now...but I just starting trying to correctly work on my technique...and I've noticed how bad my chord changes are right now...alot of chords that require all four fingers: I seem to usually place three of the fingers down first and then add the fourth.
For instance on the 4 finger G chord (1st finger 3rd fret, 2nd finger 2nd fret, 3rd and 4th finger on 3rd fret on E&A&B&E strings respectively) I always seem to place fingers 1,2, and 3 on the fretboard first then add my 4th finger after they're all set. I seem to do this pretty quickly but I've seem to become as efficient at this as possible and now it seems harder to get any faster doing it this way.

The same applies to when i do barre chords...I always place three of my fingers down first then add the 1st finger barre after the other three are set.

Note: No matter how slow I try to place all fingers down at the same time I still have a lot of trouble making them all connect to the fretboard at the same time.

Any tips on this on how I can improve this would be much appreciated.
Thanks
First you must have finger independance on each finger, separately. This means you don't have to train them at the same time (like doing chord progression), but training them one by one. This example should help you achieving that:
|--------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2--------------------------------------------------
|----------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------5-4-3-2----------------------------------------
|------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------5-4-3-2------------------------------
|--------------------1-2-3-4-------------------------------------------------------------5-4-3-2--------------------
|----------1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------------------------------5-4-3-2-----
|1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------5-4-3-2

And repeat. Once you have mastered these patters it'll be much easier to change from chord to chord, since your finger independence will be developed. This requires a lot of practice, just be patient.
Last edited by Baraga at Jun 20, 2010,
thanks for the reply...I do the 1234 finger drill up and down the fretboard usually at least once or twice before every session i practice... I feel like my fingers are pretty quick and strong independently but when I start trying to make em all work at the same time is when I start having trouble?? I just dont know what else to practice to develop the skill I need for all of my fingers to press down at the same time.
Have you ever heard of spider exercises? These help you a lot. Basically, you form a pattern, using a scale, and then repeat it over and over again all over the fretboard.

Try it with a natural minor scale (also known as aeolian mode). The numbers I am going to put here are the steps (degrees) of the scale, which correspond to the interval (which leads to the scale notes)

T-2-b3-4 / 2-b3-4-5 / b3-4-5-b6 / 4-5-b6-b7 / 5-b6-b7-T

And then repeat an octave higher
Thanks for the recommendation on the spider exercises...I've never done any of those I'm gonna start putting those into my practice routine...and hopefully soon I will build some individual finger independence...because it is very aggravating to not be able to do something as simple as putting all fingers on the fretboard in their position at the same time...even when im going at next to nothing speed. If anybody else went through this problem and could share some insight on how they conquered it would be much appreciated...Thanks