Basically, what good lessons/books can I print off and look at whilst I'm having my lunch break at work? Obviously I won't have my guitar there so it needs to cover that.

Theory wise, I only know bits and bobs. Cheers.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
music theory for dummies. it has some guitar chords in the back, and covers just about everything

there's also guitar tech books you could look for if you were into that
I would recommend reading any amp/stompbox/multieffects manual you might have laying around. This may or may not anwser your question, I reckon. But it is no less a good tip. That's what I've been up to these days, and im learning quite a lot.

unrelated: yay first comment ever
get a mini strat and a pocket amp
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Limited Edition Worn cherry

Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by lan3y
get a mini strat and a pocket amp

Hah, I wish man lol!!

Is there anything on this site anyone can point to me to print off?

Quote by rturo88
I would recommend reading any amp/stompbox/multieffects manual you might have laying around. This may or may not anwser your question, I reckon. But it is no less a good tip. That's what I've been up to these days, and im learning quite a lot.

unrelated: yay first comment ever

And a good comment at that, I need to learn my effects board. Thankya
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
If you want some easy to read theory I have written up, basic theory for lead guitarists, it is fairly easy to understand and it's only 5 pages long with diagrams of the fretboard.

If your interested I'll email it to you I'm whatever format you can open here's my email
danirv81@yahoo.com.au
Yeah I'd appreciate that, can you send it to then I can open it up at work. Ta
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
Last edited by vacant_pistol at Sep 15, 2012,
Quote by kaneorsomething
I tend to do hand stretches a bunch when I'm on the bus etc?

You must look OCD as ****.

Definately read up on the electrics, that's what i do. I can't learn anything theory-wise without a guitar in front of me, but eh.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
I stretch my hands all the time too. I don't care what I look like.

Another thing I do a lot is I tap along to any beats I'm listening to. Could be just tapping your foot along to the beat, or you could try and replicate the feel.
It's actually really hard to get to terms with the theory if you don't have your guitar (or a piano, which is a bit easier to learn theory with) near you.

But yeah, read at work, try it out when you get home, the books mentioned above are probably superb.
Guitar Exercises for Dummies is also a brilliant book - memorising a few scales for later is always productive.

Trouble is if you havent got a guitar at hand it makes you wanna play so badly
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
Quote by barfrog

Trouble is if you havent got a guitar at hand it makes you wanna play so badly

I hate it when that happens... it makes me wanna run out and find someone playing an acoustic.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
I like to go through single string alternate picking patterns (pick hand) when nobody was around. The hand stretched thing too.

Everyone thinks I'm nuts...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
If you have paper, draw yourself the fretboard and start memorizing each note on the fretboard. You can also draw yourself a music sheet and learn each note's position on the sheet. You can attempt to quiz yourself on interval knowlege, don't even need a peice of paper for this "Okay, the minor 3rd to a A# is a what?" for example. You can even try building chords like this as practice, again don't even need a sheet of paper, "What are the notes to a Csus4 chord?" for example. You can try to remember scales based on notes in the scale instead of shapes like you may, or may not be used to, "What are the notes in a C# Major scale?".

Hopefully I didn't state stuff to practice you area already very familiar with, and hope this helps.
Last edited by Dragonblood21 at Jun 22, 2010,
Best thing to do is mentally do ear training. Write riffs and solos in your head, figure out how you'd play em. Try and remember riffs accurately and figure them out. When you get home, try it all out on your guitar.

Seriously cannot recommend it enough. Hand stretches are also a good idea!