I'm heading off to college for graphic design soon and need some advice on equipment that i will need. I want a Laptop for sure, plus a mouse (i hate laptop touchpads) and i've heard i will need a tablet. I have links below to the equipment i plan on purchasing, but i wanted some advice, preferably from someone who has experience with graphic design, on what i will and won't need. I want to make sure that my laptop has all the features i need, but isn't way overboard on anything. I have been told by a graphic design student that a cheapo mouse and tablet are the way to go, but if anyone disagrees, please let me know.

LINKS:

Laptop

Mouse

Tablet

Thanks for any help you can give.

EDIT: Heads up, I don't like Mac, and i have used them before (see below posts for more info) so i WILL NOT be buying one, i am mostly concerned that the laptop i have chosen is sufficient in every way for my chosen Major.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Jun 20, 2010,
I swear to god I've seen this exact thread before...
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
To be a graphic designer you must use Mac. I'm not joking, every designer agrees Mac is better for design software. Get a Macbook Pro, shouldn't need a mouse because the multitouch touchpad is friggin awesome.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by sg255
I swear to god I've seen this exact thread before...

I swear to god I've seen this exact response before...
Get a Wacom Bamboo instead of the Intuos. You'll save about 200 bucks. Most of the artists I work with use this so I'm pretty sure they do a good job and mine (which I got 3 years ago for school) still works like a new one.
Quote by Ascendant
I swear to god I've seen this exact response before...

YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Quote by rgrockr
To be a graphic designer you must use Mac. I'm not joking, every designer agrees Mac is better for design software. Get a Macbook Pro, shouldn't need a mouse because the multitouch touchpad is friggin awesome.

No. I will switch Majors before i buy a Mac. Ever. I HATE MAC. They have to be different about everything, just for the sake of being different. I hate that. Seriously, they HAVE to put the close, minimize, and restore buttons on the LEFT side? ****ing retarded. I hate mac, they are worthless junk that you have to redesign your LIFE around. I won't buy one. Ever.

I was gonna go with a Wacom Bamboo, but a guy suggested that one to me, so i considered it. I may go with a cheaper one, but that is gonna wait anyways. i am mostly concerned about my Laptop's specs being sufficient. Oh, btw, so everyone knows, i HATE mac, so don't suggest that. :-P
Quote by rgrockr
To be a graphic designer you must use Mac. I'm not joking, every designer agrees Mac is better for design software. Get a Macbook Pro, shouldn't need a mouse because you have a graphics tablet.

Fixed. And it doesn't matter whether you use a PC or a mac. I know an industry standard animator who used PC because he preferred it. He only changed because the boss of the company wanted a completely mac post-house.

I am however, very happy that you have gone for the intuos 4. I get to use that occasionally at work and it is sexy as hell. So comfortable to use, and just all round nice.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Quote by Blktiger0
No. I will switch Majors before i buy a Mac. Ever. I HATE MAC. They have to be different about everything, just for the sake of being different. I hate that. Seriously, they HAVE to put the close, minimize, and restore buttons on the LEFT side? ****ing retarded. I hate mac, they are worthless junk that you have to redesign your LIFE around. I won't buy one. Ever.

I was gonna go with a Wacom Bamboo, but a guy suggested that one to me, so i considered it. I may go with a cheaper one, but that is gonna wait anyways. i am mostly concerned about my Laptop's specs being sufficient. Oh, btw, so everyone knows, i HATE mac, so don't suggest that. :-P

get a Mac.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Yeah well there's no doubt a reason why macs are popular. I have owned quite a few but I'm no fan boy. I can certainly say though that the user interface is far superior to Windows (which I have also used/owned). Whether they are also better for graphic design I don't know, but if you're not being picking a computer because of judgement based on your opinion of the company and its image, and not on the actual computer, then you're being a bit of a douche.
Fender Lite Ash Strat MIK
Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube
Vox AD30VT
Little Big Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by jgbsmith
get a Mac.

get a life.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Quote by jgbsmith
get a Mac.

So original. I'm glad you contributed. I think I'll get a Mac now. Right after i chop my Dick off. I'm guessing you are about 11 or 12 years old. At least in terms of maturity level. Nope, gotta be 7....8 at the most. If you aren't going to contribute, don't post. Thanks.
Quote by rworsl
get a life.

Get a hooker.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
You should just change majors then, if you study graphics you WILL be using Macs, if not your own computer then in the classroom.

Also, I used to hate mac too, but after you get used to it you'll wonder why you ever put up with Windows.
Last edited by rgrockr at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by Blktiger0
So original. I'm glad you contributed. I think I'll get a Mac now. Right after i chop my Dick off. I'm guessing you are about 11 or 12 years old. At least in terms of maturity level. Nope, gotta be 7....8 at the most. If you aren't going to contribute, don't post. Thanks.

lighten up dude, it's the pit. Did you expect entirely serious answers. As it happens I don't know very much about graphics (except that I love my tablet PC) so there isn't much I can contribute.

extra reading material.

Quote by twat
Yeah well there's no doubt a reason why macs are popular. I have owned quite a few but I'm no fan boy. I can certainly say though that the user interface is far superior to Windows (which I have also used/owned). Whether they are also better for graphic design I don't know, but if you're not being picking a computer because of judgement based on your opinion of the company and its image, and not on the actual computer, then you're being a bit of a douche.

Without trying to turn this into a pc vs mac thread, I use PC'sat home and Mac's at work, and I much prefer PC's anyday.

I find macs to be very counter intuitive (whether it be something as simple at double clicking the window bar to maximise the window) and I have seen far more programs hang and crash on a mac than on a PC.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Quote by twat

No, I've used Mac, and 3 of my closest friends own Macs that i use on a regular basis, two being laptops and one a desktop, and i hate them. I hate how everything functions, i hate having no right click, i hate the fact that programs have to be Mac-specific, and i hate the price tag associated with Macs. I'm not judging them off of image, i used to think Mac was incredible before i used one. I used to dream about owning a Mac until i used one. In fact, i still prefer iPods over Zunes any day. However, i will never buy a Mac computer after my experiences with them.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Jun 20, 2010,
Why don't we all just agree that some people prefer Macs and some prefer PCs and at the end of the day it doesn't matter for shit seeing as both are fairly capable computers and it all comes down to personal choice that doesn't affect anyone else?

In terms of tablets: the Bamboo is perfectly good. If you are gonna shell out for the Intuos, then just wait till you have more money and go for one of the Cintiqs. Whilst the Intuos is great, the Bamboo is perfectly good, and in terms of money, very cost effective. The Cintiq is the big daddy though.
Quote by Blktiger0

Get a Mac.

Whatever you decide to get, make sure you have a lot of RAM.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by jgbsmith
Why don't we all just agree that some people prefer Macs and some prefer PCs and at the end of the day it doesn't matter for shit seeing as both are fairly capable computers and it all comes down to personal choice that doesn't affect anyone else?

I take it back. i take it all back. Here we have a mature response that i agree with. I'm not buying a Mac. If i have to use one in the classroom, then so be it, but i will not buy a Mac. I prefer PC, some people do not. However, considering i doubt that my opinion will change your preference, i know that your opinion won't change mine.

That being said, back to my actual question:

I my chosen laptop sufficient enough, in terms of specifications, for graphic design?

main concerns:
graphics card (do i need DX11?)
Screen Size
Resolution
Processor
HDD Space
Quote by Blktiger0

Relax. Mac came out with the GUI first. So technically, Windows was the one that had to be different, in order to make their product stand out.

Don't knock them til you've used them. If you use two fingers and tap on a Macbook Pro trackpad, it functions as a right click. If you take 3 seconds to go into System Preferences, you can set a whole quadrant, bottom left or bottom right of the trackpad, to take the physical click as a right click.

Since you're hell-bent on refusing Mac's, the Intuos 4 is a great choice. In my opinion, the work better on their system of physical input and output, and sync better with the computer you choose to use.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
Quote by Konkordmusk
Relax. Mac came out with the GUI first. So technically, Windows was the one that had to be different, in order to make their product stand out.

Don't knock them til you've used them. If you use two fingers and tap on a Macbook Pro trackpad, it functions as a right click. If you take 3 seconds to go into System Preferences, you can set a whole quadrant, bottom left or bottom right of the trackpad, to take the physical click as a right click.

Since you're hell-bent on refusing Mac's, the Intuos 4 is a great choice. In my opinion, the work better on their system of physical input and output, and sync better with the computer you choose to use.

I have used macs, i said that in a previous post in this thread. I don't want to piss with touch pads, as i also hate those.

Thanks for the advice and the info on the tablet
Quote by Blktiger0
I take it back. i take it all back. Here we have a mature response that i agree with. I'm not buying a Mac. If i have to use one in the classroom, then so be it, but i will not buy a Mac. I prefer PC, some people do not. However, considering i doubt that my opinion will change your preference, i know that your opinion won't change mine.

I my chosen laptop sufficient enough, in terms of specifications, for graphic design?

main concerns:
Screen Size
Resolution
Processor
HDD Space

HDD, processor and RAM on that machine all seem pretty decent, but I'd be a bit concerned by the display resolution, 1600x900 on 17" is fairly poor for day to day use IMO, never mind graphics, although I'm a bit spoiled by my tablet's beautiful 12" 1400x1050 display.

Quote by Blktiger0
i hate having no right click,

Yes, the new ones have right click.

Quote by Blktiger0

i hate the fact that programs have to be Mac-specific,

And Windows programs must be Windows-specific.

Quote by Blktiger0

and i hate the price tag associated with Macs.

The price tag includes the computer and all the software, if you bought a PC with equivalent software you'd be paying about the same price.

But if you absolutely WILL NOT buy Apple, then I'd dual boot your PC with Ubuntu Studio, that's also pretty good for media design.
Quote by Blktiger0
I have used macs, i said that in a previous post in this thread. I don't want to piss with touch pads, as i also hate those.

Thanks for the advice and the info on the tablet

No problem! I use both an Alienware computer and a Macbook Pro for both graphic design and music production. I use them in sync, because they both offer something different than the other. Maybe you'll end up seeing this, maybe not. I sure as hell hope you do, because if you know how to use both, you can adapt when you spring out into the real world.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
Quote by Blktiger0

main concerns:
Screen Size
Resolution
Processor
HDD Space

Graphics card: ATi 5750/5770 or Nvidia GTX 275
Screen Size: As big as you can get
Resolution: 1920x1080 would be nice.
Processor: AMD Phenom X4 965 or Intel i5 650/i7 860
HDD Space: at least 500GB, 1TB would be good.
RAM: at least 4GB of ddr3

and... photoshop cs5! Hope this answered your question
Quote by rgrockr
And Windows programs must be Windows-specific.

The price tag includes the computer and all the software, if you bought a PC with equivalent software you'd be paying about the same price.

But if you absolutely WILL NOT buy Apple, then I'd dual boot your PC with Ubuntu Studio, that's also pretty good for media design.

Except that Windows is used by more people, so there are more programs available for Windows

What software? If i don't need the software, why pay for it?

I'll check in to that, thanks for the help. Sorry for all the Mac inconvenience, but i am a PC fan, and i really don't like Macs. It's just a personal preference, plus i've been using windows my entire life, so why change now and have to relearn everything? Mac just isn't my thing...
Quote by Konkordmusk

Wrong. Xerox did the Gui first, not Apple.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

youll also need a mirror. that way youll be able to watch yourself starve after you graduate.

lolololololol

dont worry, im a creative writing major
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by rgrockr

As an actual designer I can tell you that this is bullshit.

Industry standard Programs like Photoshop, InDesign, AutoCAD etc. work exactly the same on both Macs AND PCs. Whoever tells you that all designers use Mac and you absolutely need one has no idea what they're talking about.

Also, in all studios I've worked in, many people preferred PC's over Macs, and we either had both or just PCs.

Quote by Tallman
In terms of tablets: the Bamboo is perfectly good. If you are gonna shell out for the Intuos, then just wait till you have more money and go for one of the Cintiqs. Whilst the Intuos is great, the Bamboo is perfectly good, and in terms of money, very cost effective. The Cintiq is the big daddy though.

have you ever even USED a tablet?

The Intuos is superior in every way to the Bamboo (better response, bettert pressure sensoring, more functions), not to mention that the Bamboo only comes in very limited sizes.

If you're a designer, you're gonna want to use an Intous. Cintiqs are only better for drawing directly on the screen, and I personally could never get the hang of that.

Quote by Blktiger0

main concerns:
Screen Size
Resolution
Processor
HDD Space

My laptop has an Intel Chipset graphics card, 2 ghz and 2gb of RAM. I'd say what you're looking at is perfectly fine, I've done huge projects on mine and have never had any problems.
One thing you might want to look into, though, is an extra monitor, for two reasons:
It can be nice to have a bigger screen than your laptop's, and you can hook it up and use both monitors at the same time (which is very useful for larger projects)
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 20, 2010,
I did Graphic Design at college for two years at college and they had Mac computers there and sort-of preferred them to PCs.

A Macbook would be better for you, for any Graphic Designer, but it's not necessary.
Any old mouse would do, but I haven't a clue about tablets.

Checking colours and stuff for printing is another thing, but your teacher should help.
Last edited by ctb at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by ctb

Any old mouse would do

For graphics it would probably be best to have a high-res laser mouse, some projects might demand a bit of precision.

btw, I am a graphic designer myself, I only took 2 years of it in high school but I've had college graduate designers compliment my work, and I've been paid for my services.
Last edited by rgrockr at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by CoreysMonster
As an actual designer I can tell you that this is bullshit.

Industry standard Programs like Photoshop, InDesign, AutoCAD etc. work exactly the same on both Macs AND PCs. Whoever tells you that all designers use Mac and you absolutely need one has no idea what they're talking about.

Also, in all studios I've worked in, many people preferred PC's over Macs, and we either had both or just PCs.

have you ever even USED a tablet?

The Intuos is superior in every way to the Bamboo (better response, bettert pressure sensoring, more functions), not to mention that the Bamboo only comes in very limited sizes.

If you're a designer, you're gonna want to use an Intous. Cintiqs are only better for drawing directly on the screen, and I personally could never get the hang of that.

My laptop has an Intel Chipset graphics card, 2 ghz and 2gb of RAM. I'd say what you're looking at is perfectly fine, I've done huge projects on mine and have never had any problems.
One thing you might want to look into, though, is an extra monitor, for two reasons:
It can be nice to have a bigger screen than your laptop's, and you can hook it up and use both monitors at the same time (which is very useful for larger projects)

Thanks, dude. I knew at least one person would have good info and i got about 4 people. I have a TV/monitor that is 26 inches and 720p with VGA and HDMI inputs. I have used it as a monitor before, but idk if that would be best for this since they aren't the same size...i could always buy a similar sized one. I have used dual monitors before in my high school's multi Media class which was a combo of graphic design and Video editing/design. We never actually took full advantage of them though...it was mostly used so that we could make extra large desktop wallpapers in photoshop...lol....but, thanks for the help.

Also, to all the people that think i am against using Mac, that isn't the case. I don't like using Macs, but i am against BUYING a Mac. I do not want to spend my hard earned money on a computer that i don't like. I should have clarified this earlier, but i understood what i meant, so i didn't see the need for clarification until now.

Thanks to everyone for their help, i appreciated all of it, the four people were just people that gave me specific information that i was looking for.

So, One last big THANKS to everyone for their help
That laptop you posted there should probably do fine for what you really need, but being in graphic design your going to want more RAM, and video power.. and being in graphic design pretty much everyone else is going to be using a mac and teaching you how to do something on a mac.

but its pretty much up too you whatever you would prefer, a lot of people like to get a mac just so they have an apple on their computer to call them "legit" XD, not really.
Last edited by IbanezPlayer27 at Jun 20, 2010,
I can't say exactly what equipment you'll need, but you definitely need to get Adobe Photoshop and InDesign. Lightroom is cool if you're into photography too.

As for the Mac debate, I don't think it'll really matter, but you probably will be using Macs at school, so I suggest you at least get used to them.
Quote by Td_Nights
I went as Darth Vadar to a school dance before.

Sure I got kicked out, but the DJ played the Imperial March and I just felt badass.