Okay so I'm gonna get some strack locks for my epiphone les paul standard, now that my bands got a ton of gigs lined up this summer. I searched here but nothing came up on the first 5 or so pages..

Heres what I've heard:

-Either schaller or dunlop.

-Some people say that the schallers don't really fit into the les pauls well and i don't feel like taking it to a tech. However they say the design is much safer than dunlop

- Haven't heard about the dunlops being hard to install however ive heard a few stories of them failing.

- Also Ive heard that the schaller ones can come loose occasionally.

Any input or personal experience would be great. Especially with Les Pauls.

Thanks
grolsch rubbers.

/thread
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
Schallers last forever. Dunlops tend to wear out and since all the weight of the guitar rests on the lock's spring, it can fall. Schallers have a cup shape that still hold the guitar up, even if the spring fails.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by JagerSlushy
Schallers last forever. Dunlops tend to wear out and since all the weight of the guitar rests on the lock's spring, it can fall. Schallers have a cup shape that still hold the guitar up, even if the spring fails.

schallers wear out aswell over time but they are by far the best
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Thanks for the replies. Im probably gonna go with the schallers, anyone know anything about the screws being too small or something? I know its an easy fix with the old toothpick trick just wondering.
Last edited by Fender/marshall at Jun 20, 2010,
DIMARZIO CLIPLOCKS
that's all you need to know.
i had the dunlops before and they failed on me. i was however spinning the guitar... but that's beside the point.
cliplocks are super comfortable and will NEVER come loose. i love them
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Boss ME-70
Martin DC-1E
Peavey Classic 30
Greer Amps Relic Drive

"Do you practice UG Blackism? W e do."

Drown out the noise...
... KILL DURDEN!
Quote by Fender/marshall
Thanks for the replies. Im probably gonna go with the schallers, anyone know anything about the screws being too small or something? I know its an easy fix with the old toothpick trick just wandering.

It's true. I put Schallers on my Gibson Les Paul not too long ago.

The screws that come with the straplocks fit the holes (circumference wise) already drilled in the body of the guitar, however chances are you're going to strip the inside of the hole when you pull out the original screws. Just do the toothpick and white glue fix, your guitar will thank you when the straplock doesn't give out, causing the body of your guitar to swing into a table or what have you.

I also don't think the screws that come with the straplocks are as long as the ones originally installed, but I don't think it matters that much.

PROTIP: Save the original strap buttons and screws. Gibson warranty is void if you modify your guitar. If you save the strap buttons, you can take the locks off, put the old buttons back on, and send it back.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
I have both. The Dunlop's were a bitch to install because one of the screws was stripped pretty badly. They don't feel as sturdy as the Schallers. You also have to make damn sure you've pushed the button all the way in to make it secure or you're boned. The Schallers can become lose after a lot of use though.

Personally, I'd rather use the Schallers because they feel more secure because of the cup shape. Even if they become lose over time, you can take a portion of a toothpick, put it into the screwhole, then screw in the peg over it to tighten the fit.
if the schaller screws are too small just use the ones from your original strap buttons, they may need to be modified by a tech, usually they do it free if you by the straplocks from them
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.

These are all you need. No worry of stripping screws. They work just as good as the metal ones. Just takes a bit more effort to take your strap off.
Quote by georgakis187
grolsch rubbers.

/thread

Correct.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
If the screws are too small or the hole gets stripped you just fill the hole with slivers of matchstick or toothpick and PVA glue. You need to take it to a tech to do that???

Schallers rock. I have them on all my guitars and at least one of them has to be pushing 30 years of use and is as good as the day I bought it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I use schallers on all my guitars, including a LP.
You can just use the original screw from the strap button to screw in the Schaller, which solves all your problems, no toothpick needed.
Quote by Roc8995
I use schallers on all my guitars, including a LP.
You can just use the original screw from the strap button to screw in the Schaller, which solves all your problems, no toothpick needed.

Very true but even if the old thread strips taking out the screw it aint brain surgery to fix it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Schaller.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I had Schallers in the LP Standard I used to have. No problems whatsoever with them. The screw they included fit perfectly and they never failed me. I love em.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs