I just bought a JCA20H, for a pretty good deal, 290 dollars with free shipping from Guitar Center on their fathers day sale.

I have heard very good things about this amp, and for such a low price, I figure I would just give it a try. I know many say the gain isnt quite high enough for metal, but I have a Danelectro transparent overdrive v2, that I figure with its 12dB of clean boost would probably get me there.

Any thoughts?

Im sure the amp will be fantastic for all the classic/alternative rock I play, and I guess worst case I can buy a metal pedal.

Washburn X50PRO FE (GuitarHeads active bridge pickup)
Dean Vendetta XM
Jet City JCA20H head, w Eminence Texas Heat 12"
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Behringer VD1 (Big Muff PI clone)
Yeah, I can get a decent metal tone when I use a guitar with humbuckers then boost it. It really surprised me with how good it sounds clean with single coils though
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Well... if you've got the pedal lying around, why don't you just try it?

Should sound nice, but I don't know how br00tl it'll actually get. I mean, I wouldn't expect a modern death metal sort of tone. If your danelectro doesn't do what you want, snatch up an EQ pedal if you can find one for cheap.
Quote by TheQuailman
Well... if you've got the pedal lying around, why don't you just try it?

Should sound nice, but I don't know how br00tl it'll actually get. I mean, I wouldn't expect a modern death metal sort of tone. If your danelectro doesn't do what you want, snatch up an EQ pedal if you can find one for cheap.

I can't try it with the pedal because the amp has not shipped yet.

I suspect that with the overdrives gain pegged, as well as the level to the max, and the bass and treble controls cranked, i'll be able to get a pretty heavy sound.

Honestly though, it wont be too big of a deal if it isnt enough gain. That will just mean I can buy another amp down the road for teh Brutes. I know the Jet City will be great for 80's/90's rock.

Dean Vendetta XM
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
lol i also just bought one from gc for $270 earlier today on their fathers day sale (on a whim) and its being shipped now. words cannot tell you how excited i am about this amp. even a lot of corksniffers like it.
Ah cool. Did you not have to pay tax on yours? Mine was 290 after tax.

Dean Vendetta XM
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Quote by tronester

he may not have a gc in his state.
Quote by tronester
no i had tax on mine, but i was only charged a $300 base price. for some reason they charge $300 in the store and $333 online.

Totally would've bought one at that price... It's still Sunday here, but Guitar Center doesn't seem to have it at that price anymore online
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Totally would've bought one at that price... It's still Sunday here, but Guitar Center doesn't seem to have it at that price anymore online
I didn't order it online. Basically, I wanted to try the amp in person so I called the local GC (and by local I mean 40 minutes away) to see if they had one in stock, they didn't but said that they could order one from a nearby location and I could get the in-store price, so I bit the bullet on the spot and ordered it over the phone and they reserved one from another place and they're just going to ship it over to my house (but I think that costed me about $15 extra, but $15 who cares seeing that I only had to pay $270 total). Part of me feels like ordering it over the phone is sort of sketch because I didn't get a receipt or anything like that, but they charged my credit card already so if anything goes wrong and I don't get the amp I am ready to raise hell on them.
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 21, 2010,
Whoa, MatrixClaw missed a deal. The universe must be unraveling...
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Whoa, MatrixClaw missed a deal. The universe must be unraveling...

It's ok, God knows I don't need it anyway, plus - buying new is practically against my religion at this point
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
mclaw should i buy a used one for 150?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
mclaw should i buy a used one for 150?

Sure, why not?

You buy every other random amp, so might as well, I'm sure you could sell it for at least that when you get rid of it in a week
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
where the hell do you find these deals? no one in my area is selling one of these. though after i placed my order i did see an add on tgp i think about someone wanting to trade one for a set of good PAF replicas and i wonder if he would've gone for my wcrs.
there's two on gc used right now for 199. coulda used the coupon today. shipping might have screwed it all up though.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Sure, why not?

You buy every other random amp, so might as well, I'm sure you could sell it for at least that when you get rid of it in a week

that is a lie. the amps I buy are not random. I made another tribute photo for you.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt337/diagrammatiks/_DSC0688.jpg

u like?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
that is a lie. the amps I buy are not random. I made another tribute photo for you.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt337/diagrammatiks/_DSC0688.jpg

u like?

Yeah huh, maybe not right now, you seem to be buying more stuff that handles metal without a problem (which I don't understand, because you don't even play metal, and don't need that much gain ) but before you were just buying anything that looked interesting, or so it seemed

And where's the NAD for the Deliverance? Did you do one for the XTC?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
The Jet City 20H can handle most hair metal from the 80's. You'll need a nice tight distortion pedal to lend a more modern edge to it for stuff like Killswitch Engage, if that's what you're into.

Why not wait until the amp arrives, and then make up your own decision. I mean, you've bought it already so it's not like you're going to cancel the order because of what we say here.

Back to the topic, if you stick something like a Tone Freaks Severe in front of a cranked 20H you'll be in metal heavy. It still won't be tight like a Diezel or Fryette, but it'll create plenty of "noise". I found they had problems with excess hum; nothing drastic, just an annoying buzz when you cranked it high. You won't notice it very much in a band situation, and you won't need to crank it for home use since it sounds good at low volumes.
Yeah I just got lucky with this amp for that price. I happened to be browsing then noticed the 20 percent off sale and luckily the amp applied.

What type of tone stack does this amp have? Is it closer to marshall or fender?

Dean Vendetta XM
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
marshall tone stack. supposedly the amp sounds a lot like a soldano astroverb.

personally i like the clips that i've heard where epople are playing the amp at lower gain settings. it sounds a lot like a mini-jcm800 or mv jmp to me with the master cranked and the gain low. i can't wait for mine to come in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfOCXUDdJEk&feature=related

what tone!

what kind of cab are you running yours with? a lot of what i've heard about the amp is that it gets kind of unruly when you crank up the volume and gain. if you want to play metal, i think having the right kind of cab can go along way...
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 21, 2010,
Yeah, the videos on Youtube and comments I read here sold me on it.

I will be using a 12" Jensen Mod 35 in a 1.25 cubic foot sealed enclosure to start, but I am probably going to buy a new speaker that is better suited for a small sealed enclosure and extreme metal (the Jensen has a very high VAS and QTS and peaks really high around 120hz in that enclosure, so I will probably build an open backed cabinet for it)

Dean Vendetta XM
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Well since the guitar you play with influences the crunchiness or distortion sound coming out of the amp, maybe you should also try the amp with different guitars and pickup settings?

In this review, it's pretty interesting, they have sound samples of the amp with different guitars, each with different pickup and gain setting. Seems like with a Les Paul, you get the best overdrive.

http://en.audiofanzine.com/guitar-amp-head/jet-city-amplification/jca20h/editorial/reviews/Suffra-Jet-City.html
im interested in if you get the metal sound your looking for. Keep us posted becuase im pulling the trigger on a new amp this weekend i believe
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Talk about deals.....I responded to Music123 for there deal matching. GC was offering 20% off but I had to pay tax. So I sent that deal to Music123 they replied with 22% off ($246) I had 10 day to accept the deal. In the mean time a local shop had a JCA50H so I bought that for $520. It turned out to be a Lemon so JCA is RMA'ing it. In the mean time Music123 sent me a reminder about the offer with an additional 5% off. So I accepted it and just for the heck of it I tried to apply the current 15% off and it accepted it so I got a JCA20H for $209 shipped. What a sweat deal. It will be here on 7/6.

I have already ordered Tubes. 3-JJ12AX7, 1-JJ12AX7 HighGain, 1-JJ12AT7, 2-JJEL84 and 1-TungSol 12AX7. Also ordered a Bias Probe for the EL84....

I plan on adding the BitMo mod and changing the face plate to black grill and a blue UV light. I'll keep posting..

theDogger