Would drinking coke while practicing do anything to the voice? I'm asking this because when i practice with a coke I can hit a C5 and do my upper range much better than without it.

I have heard that Coke is supposed to do the opposite, though.
Um, im not very educated on the effects of coke on your vocal chords, but I'd have to say that It's all in your head.
Quote by aCloudConnected
I've heard that you're only supposed to drink water, or tea with honey. Or just honey.

Sticky stuff like honey and milk and chocolate gunk up the throat, so I doubt this. Water for definite though, my singing tutor is always telling me to drink only water.

As for fizzy drinks like coke, I don't think it affects your voice but it can make you gassy which ain't so sweet while singing. If it works and doesn't harm your performance, then go for it!
When i drink coke, i can actually hold a note
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
My singer refuses to drink anything carbonated before/during a show. Says it messes with his range...

That's why we give him tequila while the rest of us pound our brews.
Quote by SilverSpurs616
Sticky stuff like honey and milk and chocolate gunk up the throat, so I doubt this. Water for definite though, my singing tutor is always telling me to drink only water.

As for fizzy drinks like coke, I don't think it affects your voice but it can make you gassy which ain't so sweet while singing. If it works and doesn't harm your performance, then go for it!

+1, particularly the second paragraph. You wouldn't want "She's got (belch) eyes that it seems to me re(belch)mind of childhood mem(belch)ories"

This is just what coke does to me, you might have different effects so it depends on your judgement. And as far as the hitting the C5 or whatever, I'm no genius, but it seems to me that whatever is sticking to your throat would likely have an effect on your singing, so it would make sense that perhaps it helps you a tiny bit. It also could be partially or 100% mental.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Coke has never made me gassy, so I'll try practicing with and without coke the next few days and see if anything changes.
I think you have a placebo effect going. If anything the caffeine in your coke is dehydrating you which is counter productive, not to mention the syrupy nature of the drink will cling to your throat.

But we all have a crutch and if sipping a coke does it for you by all means use it until such a time that you don't need it brudda
It's mental; Cokes nothing more than a glorified acid. No way in hell would it help your chords.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Not happening man.... Nothing wrong with using it if you think it helps, but it's mental. At least with whiskey you can say it makes you feel relaxed.
Quote by Venice King
Last edited by Ghast at Jun 20, 2010,
Have you tried hitting the same notes while drinking water? It could just be that you had a dry throat before.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I've been warming up for awhile now with water and I can't very easily hit the C.
Quote by SilverSpurs616

Ah, I think I was getting it confused with screaming. I've heard that honey was good for you when you're screaming.
I would think that the carbonation of the coke would clear out your throat rather than clog it up like people are saying.

Fight war, not wars
Destroy power, not people
~Crass

Quote by Chaingarden
Haha, this thread is way more innocuous than the title let on.

If you're talking about cocaine, then I'm not sure how that would affect your voice.
Quote by Mattofla
If you're talking about cocaine, then I'm not sure how that would affect your voice.

You could always ask...well...any rockstar ever.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by aCloudConnected
Ah, I think I was getting it confused with screaming. I've heard that honey was good for you when you're screaming.

Like half a spoon is really good for screaming, and singing when you have a sore throat.
Quote by Venice King
1 u dont wanna rely on something in order to do good or hit a range. I cant go on I HAVE NO COKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stick with water. Vocal chords need water. If anything soda dehydrates u making it worse for singing.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Fat Mike drinks different alchoholic drinks when he plays live, and his singing is... not that great.

I suggest water, as does everybody else.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.